Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Mine isnt scratched but there are vertical marks that easily come off if wiped. Would applying felt solve this?
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Hi all,
    My best advise to all of you contemplating window tinting is Don't. Save yourself heaps of hassles, not to mention money. Euro comes with heat absorbing glass and the glass is slightly darker anyway.

All my previous experience with tinting is that they will eventually fail, with ugly result...then you got to spend more money to get the tint off. There is also the added risk of an incompetent tinter scratching your glass when applying the film. Somehow all these reports of tinting film being scratched just confirmed my cynicism about unnecessary add-ons for what is already a very accomplished car.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by mastcell
    Hi all,
    My best advise to all of you contemplating window tinting is Don't. Save yourself heaps of hassles, not to mention money. Euro comes with heat absorbing glass and the glass is slightly darker anyway.

All my previous experience with tinting is that they will eventually fail, with ugly result...then you got to spend more money to get the tint off. There is also the added risk of an incompetent tinter scratching your glass when applying the film. Somehow all these reports of tinting film being scratched just confirmed my cynicism about unnecessary add-ons for what is already a very accomplished car.
    Hi Mastcell - welcome aboard! I know reading these forums on some issues it seems like the issue is magnified 100 times because people without problems have no need to post.

The tint scratch issue is not bad because there is a solution. I have had the tint for approaching 3 years now and I don't regret it for a second. The OEM glass is not dark enough for hot days.

If you get the tint with felt, as we have seen, in 99% of the cases you will not have any problems.

If you scratch the tint with the felt it is most likely because the glass on the inside is not kept sufficiently clean to stop a built up of debris at the bottom of the window (that will eventually scratch most tinted windows on any car).
    Last edited by yfin; 22-08-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    ...The tint scratch issue is not bad because there is a solution. I have had the tint for approaching 3 years now and I don't regret it for a second. The OEM glass is not dark enough for hot days....

...If you scratch the tint with the felt it is most likely because the glass on the inside is not kept sufficiently clean to stop a built up of debris at the bottom of the window (that will eventually scratch most tinted windows on any car).
    Hi yfin,
    I wonder if the stock glass cuts out UV rays? If not, that would be an indication for tinting. Otherwise, I don't care much for the supposed cosmetic effect of tinting. Depending on what type of film you choose, tinting is much less effective in cutting out IR rays so the benefit of a cooler car on a hot day is somewhat arguable. An air con and open windows still work best, imo.

Hot leather seats is another issue, i imagine it will be just as hot with or without tinting.

I agree with your last sentence: the tint will eventually scratch...I just don't know if I can be bothered babysitting it....Sorry about my negativity on this topic. Most of the time, most things do work as intended, I just prefer to keep mine minimal.
    Last edited by mastcell; 22-08-2006 at 08:12 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro
    Well, I got tinting yesterday. mastcell, it's not puerly the cosmetic side of things. It's about UV protection, not just for the people inside, but for the leather seats, interior etc.

It is definately cooler in a tinted car, as alot of the suns rays are blocked, and a much lesser portion of heat enters the vehicle.

Anyway, i've ben told to wait 48 hours, so let's see how it goes

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Sport '06
    Deeps, did you get the felt fitted or any other mods done?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Accord Euro
    Hi.

I have only just purchased a 2003 euro with the same problem you are all talking about. My problem is i have no idea who tinted the vehicle so i cant go back to them to see if they can fix the problem. Whar do you think my chances are going to honda to see if they will fix the problem even though i am not the original owner or didnt get the tint done originally? i still have a bout 5 months of warrently left.

Cheers.
    Tim.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by mastcell
    Hi yfin,
    I wonder if the stock glass cuts out UV rays? If not, that would be an indication for tinting. Otherwise, I don't care much for the supposed cosmetic effect of tinting. Depending on what type of film you choose, tinting is much less effective in cutting out IR rays so the benefit of a cooler car on a hot day is somewhat arguable. An air con and open windows still work best, imo.
    We still get tanned inside a car if exposed to the sun. So there is still UV getting through. Want to see my darker right arm?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    This came from Honda Australia, via email:
    'Honda vehicles come factory fitted with "Green Glass" not tinting. This provides heat absorption and a degree of UV protection. We are unable to provide a percentage of UV absorption, as this was not the main purpose of the design, and therefore has not been tested.'
    Honda Customer Service

I got a decent tan too when I drove from Brisbane to Perth in my Hyundai Accent. But the 'dai has clear glass, not 'Green Glass' as in the Euro. Maybe I will do some crude experiments on light absorption/UV filtration/IR filtration over the weekend and post them here for the benefit of members.

But the fact remains that when you get someone to fiddle with your nice car, you must be prepared for some eventuality such as the ones reported here. It all depends on what is important to you. I just rather not have tinting but I would consider a car cover if I am parking under the sun for extended period, for example.
    Last edited by mastcell; 23-08-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by deeps
    Well, I got tinting yesterday. mastcell, it's not puerly the cosmetic side of things. It's about UV protection, not just for the people inside, but for the leather seats, interior etc.

It is definately cooler in a tinted car, as alot of the suns rays are blocked, and a much lesser portion of heat enters the vehicle.

Anyway, i've ben told to wait 48 hours, so let's see how it goes
    Hi deeps,
    I don't think you will get complete UV protection even with tinting because the front windscreen cannot be tinted.

The car may be cooler if it is under the sun for a few minutes (eg,<10mins, perhaps), but there won't be any difference if you leave the car under the sun for several hours. Again, it is primarily because of that front windscreen. Even some rays will slip through your tinted glass regardless. The cabin will be hot just the same.

I had an un-aircon car with vinyl seats in the early 90s and I can tell you from experience that the window tinting did not save my arse in the 35 degree heat. In the end, it is mostly about cosmetic. This was the main reason I put the tint on my previous car, the other benefits were secondary.

There is no problem wanting to be vain, I just don't want to see people coming to grief because the tinting fails to live up to expectation. It may not happen to you but someone who bought the car from you may have to deal with it, like 15NVD.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 15NVD
    Hi.

I have only just purchased a 2003 euro with the same problem you are all talking about. My problem is i have no idea who tinted the vehicle so i cant go back to them to see if they can fix the problem. Whar do you think my chances are going to honda to see if they will fix the problem even though i am not the original owner or didnt get the tint done originally? i still have a bout 5 months of warrently left.

Cheers.
    Tim.
    Do you have the original sales receipt - ie can you find out whether the dealer organised tinting of the vehicle? If they organised tinting the dealer may be willing to help - otherwise you are on your own.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Re all this UV business - even clear glass does cut out some UV rays. I think it is 40% or so.