Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L

honda accord 98 V6-L exhaust

Hi Members

I have been talking to a mate (he works for an exhaust centre) about upgrading my exhaust system. Apart from the normal Exhaust tubing that he will make up for me what other parts will i need to purchase to make the upgrade worth while, eg high flow cat (not sure about that just heard it somewhere).

I can't decide what size to go for, becasue I'm not sure at this point if i will supercharge/turbo it at this point. is there an exhust size that would be suitible for both? NA and turbo/superchager so that i would not have to replace it again later if i decided to turbo/superchager.

was thinking around the 2 and 3/4. but would like to hear other peoples ideas and explanations on for and against.

Thanks again, all ideas would be very helpfull.

oh no i think i'm turning into a ricer, i got LED Under Body neon's :P least there not hooked up yet :P
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Well, if you're NA at the moment (& plan to stay that way) then I would suggest 2.25" or 2.5" piping, and to make it worthwhile I would suggest high flow cat (like you said), headers and CAI. This is probably step one, then next step is to go cam gears, pulleys, VAFC and tune (I'm sure I'm forgetting other things here). BUT, if you're planning on turbo/supercharge in the near future, then a suitable 2.75" or 3"(depending on how much you wanna boost) and definetly a highflow cat. BUT, from what I've experienced, while the car is NA, the larger diameter "zorst" piping leads to a drop in available low end torque. To some people this is acceptable but others have complained about it's effect in city driving. Either way you go, happy modding and do post pics.

OH....almost forgot: Whatever you do, don't forget that your tranny is the weakest part and will most likely die the moment you slap on some high power mods. So, think it through carefully especially if this is your daily-driver.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    why not wait until you have decided exactly what you will do?

2 3/4" is a bit too big IMO if you are going to keep it NA, i wouldnt go any higher than 2.5". You'd probably find that a well built 2.25" exhaust with properly designed headers and high flow cat/muffler would be a good size in the end, as going oversized in an NA application hurts exhaust velocity and therefore power. Of course a properly designed setup wouldnt be cheap, and i think most exhaust places wouldnt be able to do it these days. Which is why people tend to make more power going a step up (but less power than they *could* be making)

Member Array
    Car:
    98/99 v6 accord
    i was looking at supercharging my 6th gen v6 but was advised that the tranny computer cant read boost,so was going to be a mamoth task...

as for the zorst,i went to a custom zorst place and was told not to bother,as the stock honda stuff flows well and wotever i did would prolly sound over the top...
    let me know how ya go but...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Modded V6-L
    Wow, never knew there wer so many fellow 1998-98 Accord owners!

damn....

Guys, I've checked...with a powerful 3.0 V6 DOHC engine...not worth applying turbo!! with our cars...when VTEC kicks in, we can go faster than a 4 cyclinder with turbo on the fly so why get turbo for....my car is a v6 LUX so it's suppose to be lux car...just rice it up! spend your money on other things like investments....a good turbo will cost you over 5K's!
    Variable Timing Electronic Control

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    I no what you mean but i seem to of caught the performance bug lol, my best mate has a Nissan ET Turbo, this thing flies. will post a link soon, so you can see what i'm up against.

i no that im never going to beat him lol, i got the wrong type of car, but don't wanna be lapped when we take it on the track (we live 30km from Winton Motor Race way). The other think is seems not to many people have done it, it would be one huge way to stand out from the crowd. Was going to wait till i could get a Supra to do all my car modding but falling in love with the honda and feel there is so much more i can do, and been totally diffrent to everyone else. Just abit more work and money than you would need to do a supra thow lol. arh well.

Anyway alot more looking into this needs to be done before i decide, was just hoping that maybe there may of been a exhaust size that would suite NA/ and turbo/supercharger so i would not have to install a new one when/if i decide to go supercharger/turbo. (to go with the supercharger or the tubo will have to be a diffrent topic when/if i decide to go down that track)

also read and article in a hot4's mag, about people being able to build custom manual box's from other cars and custom parts. (would be intresting to look at if i ever got rich lol ).

thanks everyone for you great responces and recomendations.

P.S Honda Enthusiast from memory our v6-L's produce about 147Kw, and weigh about 1.4 tonne. alot of 4's are going to annilate us even when there stock.

P.P.S

Supercharger: Addtional 42-48 wheel horsepower
    http://www.autocarparts.com/part/928/6/
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 22-08-2006 at 03:31 PM.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    96 JDM Legend 'Exclusive'
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Enthusiast
    3.0 V6 DOHC engine
    Accord J30 is SOHC. FYI

Raz

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    when VTEC kicks in, we can go faster than a 4 cyclinder with turbo on the fly so why get turbo for....

LOLOLOL

if you insist

Guys, I've checked...with a powerful 3.0 V6 DOHC engine...not worth applying turbo!! with our cars...when VTEC kicks in, we can go faster than a 4 cyclinder with turbo on the fly so why get turbo for.
    Oh ... My ... God

That just made my day

Thanks buddy

I've also heard with a "powerful" 3.0 V6 DOHC engine I can beat Lancers and Mirages too ... Definately no need to modify it nemore.

I've also heard that with some stickers I'll be beating any turbo car ever made.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray_Templar
    I no what you mean but i seem to of caught the performance bug lol, my best mate has a Nissan ET Turbo, this thing flies. will post a link soon, so you can see what i'm up against.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399117

Now thats one fast, sweet looking little ET

The white Skyline in the background is my other mates car.
    Last edited by Dray_Templar; 24-08-2006 at 01:45 PM.
    See my Car here
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ET Turbo Pulsar/VL Turbo

Cool

[QUOTE=Honda Enthusiast]Wow, never knew there wer so many fellow 1998-98 Accord owners!

damn....

Guys, I've checked...with a powerful 3.0 V6 DOHC engine...not worth applying turbo!! with our cars...when VTEC kicks in, we can go faster than a 4 cyclinder with turbo on the fly so why get turbo for....

very interesting..........? so my little 1.5 4cyl turbo can beat a brand new clubby or gt-p falcon, but will have no chance of beating a Honda Accord v6-L. Ok Ok, you might have me on the start line coz i will have a lot of trouble trying to get traction but soon as i get going or turbo on the fly?! you can bet i'll be flying past at a rapid rate! But you did make me lough!!!!! Get some stickers!

Anyway, Dray, you should think about what you want your car for, i'd recommend 2.5 tops for it naturally and 3 up for forced induction. If you go natural you don't want to go too big otherwise you'll lose backpressure/power. If you go forced induction, the bigger the better, you don't want backpressure, you want flow and lots of it! Have a think about it! On the other hand it would be different having it supercharged or turboed, but would end up costly! L8TR

P.S-And my car doesn't look sweet. but thanks anyway.
    Last edited by et.turbo.dude; 25-08-2006 at 12:39 AM.
    Ong Bak, the most intellectually stimulating film in cinematic history. Brilliant!