Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building up a D

Member Array
    What in your opinion would be the best way to build up NA a D series engine to compete, on the road performance wise, with NA DOHC engines of similar capacity?

I/H/E all go without saying.

The D series in question is a '99 D16Y4, stock 88kw.

I realise some of you may just think that a conversion or boosting is the best way.
    But thats not what im asking so please restrain form posting unproductive useless comment. Cheers.

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    hey man i hear you.

i got a 92 g Si with a d16a8 and im gonna do all motor.

ive got stuffed lined up for it but nothing on it now besides intake/exhaust.

if you wana get the real deal on d16s talk to EG5(yonas)
    hes got the fastest Si with a 15.1 quater all motor.

he seriously know his shit so ask him a few Q's.

also go and check out d-series.org. mad US forum with hell good info on all things D. couple of aussies on there too.

stick with the allmotor D man, i might be surpirsd.
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Cheers bro!!

Anyone know what sort of price range am i looking at for '99 SOHC VTEC head?
    ALong with fitting and tuning to my non vtec block?
    Will i need to change my tach, which is stock.

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    rather than doing that..

u'll get more bang for your bucks..in doign an conversion or turboing it.

just my opinion
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    do a mini-me conversion for one. build up the heads with titanium everything, port it out/polish. Grab a new cam also (zex are pretty good). Go for some high-compression forged pistions and aftermarket rods (11.5++:1). bore out the cylinders a little for some more displacement. Look at an aftermarket intake manifold, or atleast a y8 manifold + post.
    I/H/E wont do shit to ur D, for power u will have to replace alot of things.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Yeah, big ass crower cam, whopping pistons, thinnest head gasket possible (stock gasket stripped to one piece will do) shaved head, P and P, adjustable cm gear, ECU, quad throttle bodies.....

and....dont forget to GUT the bitch

Member Array
    **** the quads too much cash involved with that baby...
    But then again, if it has to be done then it has to be done.

hehehe... your complaining about how much its gonna cost???!!!

if u want your D16 to keep up with a B16 your gonna have to increase compression... and upgrade all the the rest.

I remember reading something about using PM7 pistons in a mini-me conversion to end up with some pretty high comp.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    The question that has to be answered...

Why do you have to keep the D-series... IF you are going to spend money on making it go faster, does it matter how you spend the money??

EXAMPLE
    You have a $3000 budget, so you can either
    a)Drop in a B-series engine
    b)Turbo the bitch (I just said that)
    c)Spend $3000 of D16 mods...

Now, granted, if you want to stay NA (which is more than logical in most cases), then option b) is scrapped....

Your 2 options are: spend $3000 on a D series to get a lesser result, with less instand potential than dropping in a B-series engine... or just drop in a B-series... Why must you keep a dead end engine (realistically) when you can spend the same money and get the same (if not MORE) power by sticking in a B-series, which has much further potential for a longer period of time at a cheaper cost to modify

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    lets face it a b-series into a 91+ civic costs at least $4000, I mean you do get a bit back with shit off your cut and selling your engine, but make sure you have at least $4000 coz doing the 100000km service plus all the little things adds up quickly. And thats before you call in anyone to help... prosuming you cant do it yourself.

But dude... if you wanna go D-series do it... I have to admit I would love more low range power, b series are a very revy and a lot of people dont like that.