Possible Ecu/alarm Problems

Hi Guys,

I've own my DC5R for roughly a month now and I recently got my car serviced at a Honda Dealership with an addition to get a new key re-programmed. I had been advised that a key could new be programmed by reason that I may have an aftermarket ECU or alarm that maybe causing an issue. I understand the previous owner had a greddy piggyback system and may of had an aftermarket alarm installed. Both those items may have been stripped when I was sold the car.

My question is how can I find out if I have either an aftermarket ECU/Alarm on my car and where is the ECU situated in the DC5R. Also if the ECU can be found what would it look like?

Thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    the dealer will be able to see if you have a standard or aftermarket ecu, BUT still, if it's a piggyback, still should have the imboliser unit in the ecu.
    the only thing i can think of is a aftermarket alarm, has been installed.

The dealer didnt really tell me and they werent too sure (Im guessing cause they were a sales/service rep and not the actual technician) . On the service report it actually states "possible aftermarket ecu or alarm". Being a curious persont that why I want to have a look at the ecu unit to see if anything look wierd or if anything is attached (even though I dont know how it looks like)

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    okay having a piggy back, only adds on to the originaly ecu, and in my eyes, have nothing to do with the immobilising part.
    look at the ECU, see if you see brigded wires coming out of the original harness. if there is, most probably a after market ecu.

for the alarm, ask the old owner, or bring it to a alarm place, you can probably look at it for yourself, hunt around under the dash, to see if you see any units lying about, and use of cable ties etc, if it looks like it's been untouched, then the installer was really good and hid everythign very well, or there is no alarm, and something else is focked.

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R
    the ecu in a dc5r is in the top of the passenger footwell theres a little flap held in with clips that covers it. its a grey metal box

as destrukshn said, piggy back will have nothing to do with immobilisation...

check the wires under the dash as he said, as its quite easy to tell if they did a bad job - looks like spaghetti. Do a search on the forums, many threads on alarm installers which have been recommended, so if all else fails, give them a call and they can check it out.
    blah blah blah

Thanks for the help guys, I am able to find the ecu (ecm) unit. I have notice that some wires have been spliced (not sure if that is the correct term) on the connectors. I want to ensure that the ecu is an orginal and not aftermarket part. How can I tell or what should I be looking for?

I've also confirmed that the alarm is an aftermarket one. My question now is would it most likely be the alarm that is the cause why I cant reprogram the key?

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    for some reason, i don't think it would be a aftermarket ecu, but you would be able to notice, is the ecu firmly in place? most ecus's aren't the same size, and aren't fimly bolted to the car, also, you would be able to see honda markings on the ecu and also a part number on it as well.

even if you put in a piggy back ecu + aftermarket alarm, i don't see why you can't still program the key, unless the original imboliser has been disabled, if it is disabled somehow, you must find the original person who did it, and ask them to re-enable it, or get a different installer familiar with it, to re-enable the factory immboliser.

if the honda computer when hooked up to the ecu, can't detect a immobiliser then it can't program it.

have you actually tried starting the car with the key that has not been programmed?

Ill have a closer this weekend looking for barcodes and anything that says honda on it. Ill prolly get a professional to rip out the alarm as well and prolly put in a new one.

Just to let you know, When I put a key that wasnt reprogrammed the car cranks but wont start.

Last question (which I maybe i should start a new thread) but do u know if we can "disable the original immobiliser in any way"

Greatly appreciate the help.

Your answers are as follows:

the emanage WONT affect your stock ecu once its removed.

The car cranks but will not start, this is the symptoms of immobiliser going off.

likely cause of your problems is your alarm.

Hi guys,

I had manage to get out the ECU and apart from the barcode there were nol brandings of Honda anywhere. All I could find was "KEIHIN" on the ECU unit. So is this an aftermarket product??? I did a search on KEINHIN and i could find some site that says it make some items for honda but it does really specify what products. Could anyone shed some light whether KEINHIN is the brand that makes ECU's for Hondas???