Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: g-tech meters

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Beat
    Its a cool tool to pay with works fine in my friends car
    they are all rear wheel drive
    coz i get wheel crab and the front sometimes hops it plays with the g's in the g tech and i get alot of false readings and failed starts
    Most accurae and consitant time i got is 15.1 thats pretty much standard LS? it seems too fast for me?
    the HP/kw is never correct
    115 KW ATW?
    its only got 96 at the engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    rofl @ KW ATW

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    it said my car did a 15.2 @ 95.7mph

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    the new ones are very accurate. remember , the little black units are 13 years old now.
    i researched a fair bit as i was thinking of getting one
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    Twisted
    I had the old one and it was amusing, slow cars even ran quite suprising times. But then again we never did back to back runs at the creek or anything.

Moderator - here to help Array
    you'd rather pay to go to the drag strip for official time slips.

I got one off ebay a little while ago.

I've never been to track to compare times, but it is fun to play with.

What you have to realise is this: G-Tech is always 100% dead on accurate. But this is not always what you want.

It measures ACTUAL acceleration (probably by having a little pendulum or something inside) and then integrates with respect to time to get speed, and again to get position. It therefore knows your speed and position (how far you have moved) at any time.

However,

If you can imagine that there is a pendulum hanging inside (as thats how i imagine it to work), when you accelerate fowards the bob of the pendulum will come back toward you.

If the direction of your cars acceleration is not directly parallel to the unit, (as the pendulum only swings in 1 dimension front-back) then you are not getting the correct value and all measurements will be screwed.

If you start on a slope (ie the gtech is inclined), then the pendulum will not hang vertically down (with respect to the unit). If you are on a downward slope, the pendulum will slant forward under gravity and will read negative g's and vice versa if upward slope. So you wont get the reading you want.

So you see, its not Gtech that is making any error, you just have to use it properly - from complete rest on a flat track and aligned perfectly with your direction of acceleration. If you use it right then the +/- 0.5sec error is bullshit. That is your error. GTech error is +/- 0.01sec.

So is it worth it?
    Hell Yeah!!!

its quite accurate if setup right

Member Array
    Car:
    not a honda
    There are 3 different models now, the base one, the SS and the RR.

the base one is the cheapest but oldest. the SS is kinda in the middle range but is around 400 bucks on ebay.

do u guys reckon that i should get the old black one or the SS? i would probably just use if for 0-100 times and 1/4 mile and accelaration.

the old black ones ain't avaliable on ebay anymore and chepeast i seen with shipping is $ 263 or is it worth the extra 200 bucks for the SS?