Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EVO IX

paint stripper + rims = ok???

is it ok to use paint stripper to strip the paint off the rims?

Member Array
    Car:
    Garden snail
    if u want to repaint it
    y dont u just sand it off???

but if u wanted to strip the paint to get it back to the alloy it was b4 it wouldnt look teh same
    cos wen teh rims was painted it would most prob have been sanded down

yeah if u are going to paint it again... you could just rough up the old paint/fix scratches and paint over it.

yeah its fine.. i used paint stripper on my rims.. sanding is simply to hard..
    i used paint stripper and removed most of the paint but after that sanded it..
    realli messy job
    ozhonda.com = ozhomo.com

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    yeah just sand it down coz you don't wanna have to use metal primer again... same as respraying a car.

use a semi-rough wire brush drill piece

slight hijack.. is sanding the only other alternative to sandblasting powder coat off rims??

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Si
    terry using a paint stripper will remove any rust protection on the rim. if you do use stripper then make sure you prime it before you spray.

Quote Originally Posted by n/a
    terry using a paint stripper will remove any rust protection on the rim. if you do use stripper then make sure you prime it before you spray.
    hehe i didnt use any primer and it turned out fine.. i jst sanded it after and sprayed over it..

ps. how do u noe my name bro?
    ozhonda.com = ozhomo.com

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '97 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by honda_ek4
    hehe i didnt use any primer and it turned out fine.. i jst sanded it after and sprayed over it..

http://terryek1.blogspot.com/ maybe? lol
    Rice isn't nice.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Si
    Quote Originally Posted by honda_ek4

that would be a coincidence, the thread starter is terry

i did the same with my old set of rims, no problems, but then a pro told me that you strip away all the protective layers too..

LOL thats a big coincidence.. im a more hektic "terry" tho..JKZ
    ozhonda.com = ozhomo.com

i did both on my OEM rims.. i recon sanding down is soo much better!! cuz if u dont strip the paint properly, then you'll get raised surfaces where the paint wasnt stripped perperly... sanding them down avoids this problem... all u basically have to do is sand down the clear coat, and ur good to go.... wouldnt hurt to prime either afta sanding

it took me a day to sand one rim.. whereas 1 day to finish 2 rims using the paint stripper..

personally after both results, the sanded rim looked better but it was to hard sanding all 4 so i preferred using the paint stripper even though there was a slight difference in the end
    ozhonda.com = ozhomo.com