Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Downhill : neutral or coast in gear

Not sure if this should go in Lounge or Technical, but since I'm a newbie i thought i would be safer in here. I can't say I know alot about cars so if anyone can help me out with this i'd be very appreciative.

Situation: coasting down a hill.

Question: Which uses less fuel? (for a fuel injected car)

1) car in neutral – most people would agree that you use bare minimal fuel whilst idling.

Or

2) car in gear with no throttle application? (in other words are the injectors still firing upon engaged motor deceleration with no throttle application.)

My opinion is I think that the wheels are connected to the engine and are therefore keeping the engine turning over and preventing it from stalling. And therefore you don’t need to use fuel and the ECU cuts . Where as if you’re idling you need to pump in fuel and ignite it to keep the engine turning and prevent stalling.

A friend has said :
    “If you're in neutral, the fuel pump is pumping some minimum amount of fuel into the engine (i.e. the throttle is open some minimum amount). If you're in gear and rolling down the hill without your foot on the accelerator, the throttle is still open the same amount as if you were in neutral. The engine is only spinning faster by virtue of the car's weight in accelerating down hill.”

If this is the case then wouldn’t coasting downhill in gear at say 4000rpm be using 4 times as much fuel as when idling?

Another friend said:
    “Research will show the momentum of the wheels keep pushing the engine along. A car only stalls if the engine stops because theres not enough energy to move the pistons in the engine. i.e uphill, not enough accelerator, slow speeds with high gear etc. when you need the power created by the ignition of petrol. if you are going at such high speeds, the energy isn't required. Even tho the fuel pump may be pumping, its to keep the fuel line presurised so fuel is there when you need it and not necessarily going into the engine as it should be controlled by the injectors. may be different in a carby car tho”

Fuel pump keep pumping to keep the lines pressurised but no fuel going anywhere? Wouldn’t pressure keep increasing (unless there is some outlet) if that was the case?

Some people have said that the ecu shuts of the fuel injection when decelerating until the car reaches idle … is this complete rubbish? One person says that :
    “I'm looking at my OBD training manals for Hondas, and for MPFI and DPFI systems, it says "if the ECM receives a closed throttle input (under 0.5V), the engine speed is above 1100 RPM, and the engine is warmed, the fuel injectors will be shut off."”

This is in line with what I originally thought, but if this is the case then I thought (to throw a spanner in), won’t the catalyst cool off too quickly due to unheated air flowing through it and therefore emissions standards won’t be reached?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Coast in gear. It is safer. It still uses some fuel but less than when in neutral.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    coast in gear.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    coast in gear FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    DC/WRX
    always coast in gear mate...never in neutral.
    you have more control of a car in gear than in neutral
    Life Doesn’t Start Until 9000RPM!

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    coasting in gear uses less fuel(assuming you're in a high gear... obviously if you're coasting at 7000rpm this doesn't really apply).

As for if the fuel injectors shut off... think about that. The car is idling... meaning that you're getting combustion in the cylinders. If the fuel injectors are shut off, then there is no fuel injecting into the chamber. No fuel = no combustion = no idling.

Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    coasting in gear uses less fuel(assuming you're in a high gear... obviously if you're coasting at 7000rpm this doesn't really apply).

As for if the fuel injectors shut off... think about that. The car is idling... meaning that you're getting combustion in the cylinders. If the fuel injectors are shut off, then there is no fuel injecting into the chamber. No fuel = no combustion = no idling.
    Where as if you are rolling in gear, your driveline is connected to the wheels and this motion keeps the engine spinning. Without the aid of the fuel injectors.

Correct??

ALWAYS "coast" in gear.
    IF you roll in neutral , you risk loosing control or over heating the brakes in situations.

Thanks guys. have been coasting in gear because i think it saves fuel and is safer. Will continue to do so for the later reason.

Mainly wanted to know officially which saves fuel. I've tried to do lots of searching and find people giving opinions from both sides (eg cruising uses more fuel or cruising uses less) and haven't found anyone be able to give proof what the engine does: fuel cut off or inject a bit.

Hey saxman, are you're saying that coasting does use fuel and how much you use is related to rpm? even when no throttle is applied? if you're going downhill in gear are you still considered idling?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK B18C|AP2 S2K
    technically when u step on ur accelerator it pumps fuel from ur tank.. if ur coasting and ur not steeping on ur accelerator ur not wasting fuel right?
    whats an internet?

Member Array
    Car:
    737 - Ventura Bus
    another one for in gear.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.