Member Array
    Car:
    EF8

Understanding FWD LSDs

Hi. As I have been exploring the idea of adding an LSD to my CR-X, I have been trying to get my head around the whole thing.

I found this resource that helps to explain the theory behind the common LSDs available:

http://www.kaazusa.com/introductionT...ion_To_LSD.htm

What I would like to better understand is the practical effect of a FWD 2 way LSD in the following scenario:

You accelerate heavily up to a corner and then realise that you will have to brake before hitting the apex.

From what I can tell, the brief moment between decceleration and braking will unlock the diff, allowing one wheel to speed up for a moment, then when you brake the diff locks up again causing it to slow down again.

What affect is this going to have on the handling of the car? (If my analysis of the LSD in the above scenario was incorrect, please correct me!)

Furthermore, what difference would changing the LSD to a 1.5 way in this scenario and overall have on a FWD vehicle?

Thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Another question I want to throw into the mix is:

Helical/Mechanical or Clutch based LSD?

I have a vague idea of the pros and cons... they go something like this

The mechanical will require less maintenance and makes less noise, but can cause some undesirable effects in low traction surfaces.

The clutch style LSD requires the clutch plates to be replaced when they are worn and can make a lot of noise and vibrations, but has less downsides in performance.

I was initially of the impression that everyone uses clutch LSDs for racing, but then I recalled that the new ITR uses a helical design and other people stand by the Quaiffe helical LSD etc

So I don't really know which avenue to go. To clarify, I am building my daily into a track car. So ultimately I want a car that is slightly biased towards the track that I can still drive on the street.

S

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    Shouldn't your EF8 have a factory LSD?