Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stock Height EK4

Lowered cars are f**** annoying to drive. I have adjustables and wanna raise it back to stock height, where can i find this info? And whats the best method of measuring it?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    raising it back to stock height may not nessasarily make the ride better, it isn't a proportional variable. its the damper, and more so the spring rate which affects ride quality. Perhaps investing in some ligher rating springs for your coilovers.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic
    are u hating it cause of the stiffness or cause of driveways and speed bumps?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK>DC5R>S2K&JAZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mchngun
    Lowered cars are f**** annoying to drive. I have adjustables and wanna raise it back to stock height, where can i find this info? And whats the best method of measuring it?
    what do you mean by that?? annoying as in its too low and it scraps the floor ?? or its not comfortable enough.

for comfort, height play alittle to do with it. like kyle said its got alot to do with spring rate and damper....more so on the spring rate factor. get some softer springs and set the damper alil harder and you would have a better ride. too soft of a damper you car would bounce (like a wave shape) up and down.

with regards to height, well i personally wouldn't go that high. make your car look crap and your sacrificing handling (low centre of gravity). just raise is to a comfortable level.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    oh true, stupid me assuming again! DOH!

what sized rims/tires are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by EK4R
    for comfort, height play alittle to do with it. like kyle said its got alot to do with spring rate and damper....more so on the spring rate factor. get some softer springs and set the damper alil harder and you would have a better ride. too soft of a damper you car would bounce (like a wave shape) up and down.
    Ride height actually is a very significant factor - exactly the same as spring rate and damper bound/rebound.
    The lower you go , the less shock travel there is and more bumpy it will be regardless - as you will have to then factor in stiffer springs and harder damper settings to compensate. Spring rates and damper settings are relative to ride height , as to personal preferenace too.

What exact suspension do you have ? Koni adjustables ? What springs ? etc etc etc

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    Well not nessasarily Ben, you are assuming that his coilovers can only adjust height via adjusting spring preload via the adjusting nuts. Where as on coilovers like D2 you adjust height by literally extending or shortening the strut.

Even if the Damper is already pushed down slightley via lowering. It should remain linear untill it bottoms out as dampening is done via oil/gas moving through holes(like plunging coffee) it doesn't get harder to plunge coffee as you move the plunger down. This is due because it causes no compression.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle
    Well not nessasarily Ben, you are assuming that his coilovers can only adjust height via adjusting spring preload via the adjusting nuts. Where as on coilovers like D2 you adjust height by literally extending or shortening the strut.

Even if the Damper is already pushed down slightley via lowering. It should remain linear untill it bottoms out as dampening is done via oil/gas moving through holes(like plunging coffee) it doesn't get harder to plunge coffee as you move the plunger down. This is due because it causes no compression.
    correcto , but in majority cases shocks are only adjustable via spring perch IE koni reds/yellows or in a full coilover (tein SS etc etc)
    Also correcto about how a shock works ~ but less height means less room before hitting bumpstop and end compression of spring ( which the force is then reapplied to the shock body and car , which is "bumping" along)

Lets wait unitil we know what type then we can help from there.

I think they are only height adjustable. I bought the car with em, i think they are Fulcrum. Anyway i want it a tad higher so i stop scraping speedhumps and steep driveways, it's a pain everytime i drive.

They are the stock vti-r wheels with normal tyres. Not sure of the exact specs. The back seems to lowered alot more than the front as well, thats why i want it back up

well "stock" seems to be around a "average" 3-4 finger gap front and rear
    ( inbetween the guards) - raise it equally front n rear (use a tape measure etc) and then try it out...repeat till u get it ur comfort setting

i've heard people say its beneficial to have the back raised slightly higher than the front, any truth to this?

yes. Make the rear higher slightly if u can.