Member Array

Importing a Gen II CRX...

G'day,

I'm just after some information about importing. Does the ten year rule still apply? ie. we can import cars older than 1996?

Is it possible to import a Gen II CRX these days? What is the cost of bringing one over, and then getting it complied?

Anyone know of any importing sites that do this?

Any information would be really appreciated.
    ~Chris

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    There was never a 10-year rule.

There used to be a 15-year rule but local manufacturers got antsy when the 'cool cars' were becoming eligible and so so they applied political pressure so that the law could be changed.

The new law is that you must wait for the cars to be 30 years old....

There is hope though.... the way things are going we might not have a car industry in the next 15 years which should then relieve the restrictions on imports and then we'll be free to get whatever we want (like New Zealand)

As for good import sites? :
    http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/
    http://www.j-spec.com.au/

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    I'm a bit hazy on the subject, but I seem to recall that when the 15 year rule was dropped, they decided to just make it pre 1988? Which, by the way, rules out the CRX SiR (production begain in 89), if that's what you're interested in.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Civic
    A heap came in real cheap under the 15 year rule, there's a good chance there's something already here you'll like.

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    The cut off point for importing is now 1988 that means no more SIR's as SIRs were only manufactured 90-92.

Some early gen2 crxs are available but at this stage most have been used and abused and you’re still looking at a minium of 5k landed after duties and import fees.

Your better off looking locally.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Wasn't SiR production 89-91? Anyway, yeah it's 88 or older now. The only way to get younger cars is with a really expensive license that is specific to a single model. ie if you want to import SiRs you buy the SiR lisence and can bring as many in as you want. Something like that. But it's like $100k or something ridiculous?

ctr coupe knows it 90 - 92 are the only year the sir but you ban find them with b16a b16b and b18c engine you just have to keep looking a good site is
    www.rinkya.com and www.trademe.co.nz you will find what you are looking for it may take a few months but one will come up good luck.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    Not true.
    EF8 siR's started rolling off the assembly lines Sept '89 I think...

How do I know this? My siR is an '89.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    What Slobber said. EF8s and 9s were very late '89
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX