Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    On average you should be changing the platinum plugs at about 80-100k's for maximum fuel economy and performance.. at 120k, the car will still be fine but idle a little rough.

Then again it is all dependent on the type of fuel used and the conditions the car has been put through,

e.g starting the car and switching it off straight away all the time is really bad for platinum / iridium plugs, so is octane booster!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by xxb4xx View Post
    On average you should be changing the platinum plugs at about 80-100k's for maximum fuel economy and performance.. at 120k, the car will still be fine but idle a little rough.
    Our plugs are iridium, which is why it goes up to 120k. Platinum goes to 60k and should be replaced every 3 years.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    That is the corona stain and is NOT an indicator of spark plug wear. You can use new plugs and run it for 20,000km in 1 year and get that yellowing eventhough the spark plug is meant to last 120,000km or 6 years.

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/sparkplug_tech.php
    Thank for clearing that up!!

Ill pass on that info to my uncle who coincidently, doesnt work there any more... LOL

Might do spark plugs anyway seeing as the previous owner told me she didnt know hoe to check the oil level..

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Hmm.. Im sitting on 90k now and the idle is a little rough for my liking.. I'm gonna change them soon and not wait, same as the Gearbox oil I did at 80k instead of 100 or 120 etc..

Here's a pic of a fuel filter after 68k.

Glad i changed it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2949.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	12813  

HUGE difference in all aspects of the car after changing the fuel filter!!!!

Pics above say it all.

If your car is getting close to 60 - 70k, just change it. Especially if you are unsure of the cars history..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by mikka33 View Post
    Here's a pic of a fuel filter after 68k.

Glad i changed it!!
    That looks very different to mine. Mine was still white at 80k though.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 WRX WRP10
    looks like she put dirt in her tank instead of petrol LOL!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    That looks very different to mine. Mine was still white at 80k though.
    Same here? And no difference performance wise either, (not that there is meant to be)

Member Array
    Car:
    SeeYou2
    Holy crap! The colour of that so-called fuel filter of yours looks like my aquarium filter filled with fish crap after a month!? What the hell has the previous owner been putting in it???
    (づ ̄3 ̄)づ

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    K&N filter = $120 (for life)
    Cleaning and reoiling kit = $40
    OEM air filter = $50 (lasts 2 years)

So it takes you about 6.4 years to break even. Are you going to keep the car for that long, plus having the hassles of washing, drying and oiling it? If you overoil, then you get a sticky TB and that will need cleaning too.

wrong... my filter at best in oem on a civic wouldn't last 2yrs, as QLD is full of construction, debris from constant road construction/bridge construction/concrete dust, bush fires, polution etc etc. (When you clean a pod or panel you can see why I clean mine every oil change as it's filthy! lol oem filters are 30 and are rubbish, I would change them every other oil change at a min but at 70 for a k&n at the time it has long ago paid itself off

With a k&n for $70 not 120, thats a rip off, ebay is your friend lol (or even $40US now with current exhange for a pod item)

oiling is pretty straight forward, would be pretty hard over oiling even if you didn't read the instructions, haven't heard that bs from anyone out of the hundreds of people I know that use reuseable filter units
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 18-12-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Quote Originally Posted by nickxau View Post
    Holy crap! The colour of that so-called fuel filter of yours looks like my aquarium filter filled with fish crap after a month!? What the hell has the previous owner been putting in it???
    Scary isnt it!!

It didnt look so bad untill i disassembled it and removed the actual filter paper..

I guess if the filter is doing its job of filtering the CRAP out of the fuel if it looks that colour.

Ill be cleaning the injectors too just in case..