Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ek GLi

Advice on buying a used civic

I've been car hunting quite a bit over the last few weeks. I'm looking for a used Honda Civic, preferably a 4 door sedan. I'm particularly interested in the 1.5 litre GL (1992 to 1996 model). I've spoken to many mechanics and read reviews; it seems to be a pretty decent car.

Here is a link to one such ad for the car : http://www.autoline.com.au/vehicle/1239775.html

The problem has been locating a good used civic. I've been to 3 private sellers (found on carsales.com and gumtree), but the condition of the car left much to be desired and they were reluctant to the idea of me taking it to RACV or a mechanic to have it checked. I've been to used car yards, but the prices are always a bit inflated and there are many horror stories floating around about experiences with used car salesmen.

I'm particularly interested in buying from honda mechanics or enthusiasts as I can be a bit more confident about the way the car has been fixed and maintained.

Can anyone suggest good places to start looking? My budget is around $5k with RWC and Rego). I'd also appreciate any other tips such as what to look out for etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    Understand
    5k can get you a Honda Civic but the thing is that you will encounter many problems.
    Reason being that it would be old and done many KMs.

I also suggest that you dont buy a GL or GLi model as they have Carby engines whihc are old and unreliable.

Best go for the EG VTi/Si or Ek CXi/GLi

Those you could find around your price. Always check RACV there are alot of dodgeys out there.

Best of Luck.

~King Of Spam~

Member Array
    Car:
    Liberty GTspecB
    if u can afford to throw in a lil bit more get a EK sedan, easier to find a good condition one and newer than teh EH ur tryin to look for now, try finding one off an old person, few out there. Dont forget to do a background check on the car,
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rePurchase.htm (if ur in Vic, REVS check in otehr states its called i think?)
    EK sedan come as either GLi or VTi and they come with your power windows, mirrors etc etc standard and disc brakes at the back (unlike the CXi hatches, safer!)
    and places to look? www.carsales.com.au imo is good, maybe just look thru more pages
    Last edited by Raztaz; 02-01-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    I used to have a EK sedan
    psn: w-_custer_-w

Member Array
    Car:
    Gc subaru
    nufin wrong with gl carb eg..good on gas goes forever..o and the sound of twin carbs mmm!!
    Quote oh dear ****ing lawd. my d*ck did more than move. it jumped out of my pants, and tore the fly open....

Member Array
    Behind the wheel of my car, cruising the hills of adelaide
    Car:
    ED6 Civic
    carbs are pretty good, economic fuel wise, and have a fair bit of tuning potential (cheap as well).

but when you're testing them, let them idle up to operating temperature, and then drive it moderately hard for a minimum of 5 minutes. the old d series motors tend to have head/headgasket issues so if it overheats during/after 5 minutes, steer clear of it.
    Current Performance Modifications to ED6:
    not telling, but it involves a semi-quad carb setup, and lots and lots of compression.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ek GLi

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I bought a Civic Ek GLi yesterday. Would have liked a VTi, but my budget was limited anyway. I am glad to be owning a Honda finally.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro/2008 Civic
    Try car city in Ringwood. They have some civics listed from the early 1990's. Opps sorry, I'm a bit late.