Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R

CVT low speed squealing sound

This weird 'squeeking' sound started happening to my car, mainly when starting from rest, or accelerating from low speeds. It stops happening on long drives (after at least 30 mins or so of driving).

Anyhow, I told my garage when I was getting the 70,000km service, and they've ordered some parts for japan and are going to replace the "starter clutch" under warranty.

I couldn't find out any more info about what caused it or how likely it is to happen again. Any one know any more about this? I want to know if its a design flaw or if there is something I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again....

BTW, I found this interesting page that shows a complex demonstration of how the CVT in the jazz works. Click on "D position" and watch for a while.. http://www.amazingcity.com.ph/CVT/HTML/CVT.HTM

- Andrew
    Last edited by Andys; 17-11-2004 at 03:21 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    First I have head of this happeneig, but does not surprise me - new systems always have flaws. However, this is what warranty is there for

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by McChook
    First I have head of this happeneig, but does not surprise me - new systems always have flaws. However, this is what warranty is there for
    It mustn't be a serious problem, but the sound was starting to get annoying and embarassing.

In fact my fuel economy is better than ever (since cleaning my air filter)... been getting >600km per tank with my daily gosford->sydney commute.

- Andrew

Member Array
    Car:
    Fridge
    really ? thats great.

we have trouble getting more than 500-ish out of our vti-s cvt.
    I've never seen the fuel consumption for the tank go less than 7.7L
    this is mainly city driving though... most of it being driving to and from work

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Latest update:

Collins Honda replaced the 'starter clutch' and it made no difference. Getting quite a squeeling sound when accelerating when the engine's cold. Doesn't make any noise if you rev in neutral.

Took it back to Collins and they can't diagnose the problem. They've booked me in again for 2 weeks time when a Honda Australia technician will be present...

All happening under warranty, thank goodness, but this doesn't bode well for long term CVT reliability

- Andrew

600kms??? I struggle to get 500 hahaha

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04' Jazz VTi Classical
    heard about this kind of story for a few times from ppl in HK running a 1.3L engin on CVT.
    The honda in HK finally replaced the whole gear box (as what they owner said) for them and that solve the problem (at least for the time the gear box still under 70,000km maybe)
    They have similar situation as yours, CVT gear box with about 70,000km usage...having that squeak sound...
    some of them can have the problem solved after the starter clutch is replaced, some can't then HK Honda replace the whole gear box for them

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Oh dear Thanks for the information. I wonder if the new gearbox has a bug fix or if its going to start making the noise all over again after another 70,000?

- Andrew

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04' Jazz VTi Classical
    I have no idea on that, since this only happens in these few months, so no one is hitting another 70,000km in such a short period.
    But hope it could have that bugs fixed totally.

in fact, I have no wonder about the bug... since this is new, at least quite new to Honda, although Subaru had done this ages ago, they made lots of problem in their CVT too.

So hope the honda buddies can fix your problem finally~~

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Oh, I have no doubt at all they'll fix it. I just will be selling the car straight after that as I don't want to be stuck with the noise after warranty runs out, if it ever happens again. Manual here we come....

- Andrew

edit: ps: the noise isn't that bad, and seems to have no bad side effects. Its not getting worse either, i've driven a few thousand km's since it started. I just worry that it'll be hard to sell the car if we go for a test drive and it makes the noise it will turn off potential buyers...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04' Jazz VTi Classical
    that's true, as I bought the car, the sales is an uncle of my frd, he also said you won't expect to keep the car forever. The best is that you sell it in the 4th year of b4 100,000km warranty.
    After 100,000km many problems will come up...

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Quite true. There are regular costs to keep any car on the road, its a fact of life. But with the extended warranty taking it out to 140,000km, if the problem happened again after that it sounds like replacing the whole gearbox is a very high expense if it wasn't covered under warranty. I'm thinking it'd be a few thousand dollars.

- Andrew