Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

clutch sports or standard

first i have searched...

My thrust bearing is going so while i get that replaced im gonna pop in a toda light weight flywheel, and a new clutch ( 10 years old dont know if i need it)

i have no idea about clutches, should i go a sports clutch or what? i drive the car everyday to work and im in traffic in the morning, i dont race the car and very rarley run it ( not on street).
    everyone says Exedy Daiken but then other ppl say that its very snappy anyways much help would be appreciated thanks guys

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Lerroy, I've got an Exedy Organic clutch in my DC4. Alot stiffer and tighter than OEM, but not as "on/off" as more hardcore ceramic and brass button applications. Should be a happy medium.
    However, if you're going as far as to invest in a Toda fly, you might be aiming for something rather performance based. Speak to Adrian @ Advan (TODA AU on these forums) and see what he'd suggest as a good partner to your Toda fly.

All the best.

P.S: If you don't track or drag, and sit in alot of traffic, a lightened fly might merely prove a hassle. I hear they take a fair bit of getting used to, as your revs drop extremely quick. Couple that with a stiff clutch with a low engagement point, and it might be more hassle than it's worth.

ah i see....lightened flywheel will increase car performance alot ??? like able to rev faster but alos revs drop off quicker right
    well its not all traffic would like to have power there when i need it....

thanks joneBlaze
    so there wouldnt really any use in changing clutch if all it does is make the car harder to drive and maybe not even flywheel
    hmmm what to do to this car then.....

PS im changing the 18s very soon

Lerroy

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    If your OEM clutch is dying, I'd suggest you "up"grade to an organic clutch or something else in the non-OEM "heavy" duty range. I personally enjoy the drive alot more in my DC4, and it's basically stock still.

I take it you want to increase performance/speed/torque all around, so removing the 18"s is a great start. Revert to stock 15" VTiR rims or similar well weighted 15"/16" rims and the difference in handling and speed there alone will amaze you.

You might want to examine a decent intake, maybe a quality exhaust etc.

I have mandrel bent 2 1/4 piping high flow cat Xforce Muffler
    4-1 Xforce headers
    Blitz intake kit Cypher Dynamic induction chamber

Getting some Enkei Lightweight 16 inch wheels

well i gotta replace Thrust joint so prob get clutch your talking bout how much and were you get it ??

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joneblaze
    P.S: If you don't track or drag, and sit in alot of traffic, a lightened fly might merely prove a hassle. I hear they take a fair bit of getting used to, as your revs drop extremely quick. Couple that with a stiff clutch with a low engagement point, and it might be more hassle than it's worth.
    A lighter fly wheel will give you improved throttle response and acceleration. While you're doing the clutch, i'd recommend a lighter fly wheel.

Its not like getting a 5 puck brass button clutch or anything and its not AS bad as what jon says
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

all i can say is my toda fly and exedy organic full face clutch are my best mods and i don't do any track work, never high rpm launch and rarely compete in traffic light olympics...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    A lighter fly wheel will give you improved throttle response and acceleration. While you're doing the clutch, i'd recommend a lighter fly wheel.

Its not like getting a 5 puck brass button clutch or anything and its not AS bad as what jon says
    I didn't say anything. Have never to my knowledge driven a car with lightened fly, so had to rely on pure hearsay.

i have a toda flywheel, i love the way the motor responds a bit more freely. it took me about fifteen minutes to get used to the lighter flywheel. i don't know that it made much of a difference to performance, but it certainly feels nicer.

regarding the clutch, i'd go for something like a ceramic five puck. i got the three puck and i'd say that it's a little hardcore for most people, although you get used to it in time. it's just that you notice when anyone else drives the car
    a five puck would be very easy to drive... i've used a four puck exedy unit and it was barely any more difficult to drive than the sports organic kit, so i'd imagine the five puck to be closer (to the organic full face) again.
    And so it begins...

Ok thanks for all the input guys looks like the flywheel is a go and a 5puck or organic clutch

next question -- where did you guys get the clutch and how much ???

Member Array
    Car:
    slow taxi
    if you're going for toda, speak to Adrian @ Advan Performance (like wha Jon said). The last time i enquired, excedy heavy duty clutch + toda flywheel = $1500 fully installed.

If you want Adrian to contact you... easy, just say something like "Adrian is a #*@&(*&#" and he'll reply. or contact him:

Adrian @ TODA RACING Australia Pty Ltd
    Official Australian and New Zealand Distributor
    ADVAN Performance Centre
    137 Silverwater Road, Silverwater, N.S.W. 2128
    Tel: 0401 869524 Fax: (02) 9801 2729

Member Array
    My Thruster Bearing is also gone and makes a terrible noise when idling. Replacing the clutch will sort this problem out??? I thought i needed to replaced the bearing to get rid of this problem and that it didn't have anything to do with the clutch. Can anybody help me out here.