Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EM1, JAZZ, ITR, EURO

0-400m tech for ITR owner

I find a good post for 0-400m tech for ITR owner. It's a little bit long. Hope can share with you.

Part 1.

All times mentioned are in regards to racing on true street tires.

1. What does a bone stock ITR run?

A normal ITR in ideal conditions around sea level Generally traps in the 94-96mph range. The ET is going to be up to track condition and the driver. With a good driver and track under the same conditions a stock R is capable of SOLID mid 14's, easily dipping into the lower 14's on the best runs with an experienced driver.

If your car is trapping in that range and it isn't running the times you want it's either the track or the driver, sorry but the car is running just fine.

For your first time at the track be content if your R breaks into the high 14's, don't worry, its not the end of the world. My first time at the track I had to struggle for a a 14.7@93.5mph

2. I have a stock R and want to pull mizzad fast times to impress chicks, what do I do?

Buy a Z28. Seriously, the key is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and more PRACTICE. Do not substitute mods for driving skill.

A: Learn to read a time slip, as in the whole thing. You don't know how many guys I've met, that are at the track regularly, that still don't know what it means when I say "yeah, but what did you trap, or what was your 60'?", all they are concerned with are the numbers at the end, not the ones in between which are far more important. Sit down and break apart a good and an almost as good run, see the differences in time and speed at each point, try to think why the car would be doing what it is at the point where things don't match up. Your own noggin and that little slip can tell you alot more than what Joe Bob thinks you should do on the next run.

B: Pull a good 60' THAT IS IN THE POWER BAND! If you can't do this then a fast time isn't happening. 3rd gear VTEC, mad fast shifting skillz, lucky underwear, or a picture of your girlfriend covering the tach doesn't make up for a bad launch.

LAUNCH IT HIGH AND MODULATE THE CLUTCH AND GAS. This is how I've pulled my best 60' and 1/4mi times. My best launches were around 6-7000rpms ON TRUE STREET TIRES. Those that say that is too high for street tires just haven't practiced enough, or don't know what they are talking about. This is why I say practice is the key. I hold my revs at the determined rpm and bring the clutch part way up, to the point that I know it is going to start engaging. When I launch I do not apply more throttle, the throttle foot stays the same, if not releases some, as I smoothly but still quickly engage the clutch, when I feel the car will have traction I peg it the floor. The goal is to gain as much traction off the line as possible but to keep the car above 6,000rpms in the process.

Dependant on track conditions this will not always be possible, I know it wasn't for me. This you just have to learn. Start from a lower rpm and work your way up.

Now some of you are saying "but can't I pull good 60' without having to launch so high?". Yes I use to do it all day long, but then guess what, that makes our high strung cars have to pull through the dead spot of the power band, which is just wasted slow "hurry up and get to VTEC you torque less POS" yelling time.

Example: Some guy hooks a 2.2 60' from 3,000rpms, another does it from 6,000rpms...... guess who wins.

Oh and for all of you wondering I have pulled 2.0 and a bunch of 2.1 60' times on true street tires (not drag radials) with such methods. That should be enough evidence that it works.

C: Learn to shift fast. No not how you think you've been shifting. You banging the shifter at lighting speed means diddly squat. A four year old spaz power ranger wannabe could out shift us all if that was the requirement.

Fast shifting is all in FAST FEET COORDINATION. You can press the clutch in, then 3 days later snatch the shift lever at Jedi speed into second gear (thinking you're shifting fast), go to sleep, eat, whatever, then slam your foot off the clutch. Your hand speed was fast. The actual shift took three days, a nap, and a meal.

Right now sitting at the computer fire off the fastest front snap kick you can muster with your left leg. None of that pressing down letting off crap, a nice sharp kick, fast as you can there and back. Congrats, you just did a really fast shift. Now time that with your Jedi hands, learn that you can actually miss gears now because you really weren't shifting that fast before and subtract a touch from your ET. Don't get too happy though your 60' is FAR more important

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1, JAZZ, ITR, EURO
    PART 2:
    3. It's my first time at the track. I keep peeing my pants, crying uncontrollably, and for some reason I seem to be driving like crap, what gives?

Yeah I thought it was going to be a piece of cake too. Then this crowd of people appeared, 600hp drag cars started showing up everywhere, this announcer started talking, and this blasted flashing light starting thing apparently cast a spell which erased all knowledge of my ability to drive my car. Lights flash, brain goes dead, right foot down, left foot up, did I shift back there?, what did I launch at?, did I even launch?, have I even ran my car yet?, what's a car?

It happens, called being nervous and distracted. The first thing I learned is to FORGET THE STINKING LIGHT AND THE GUY BESIDE YOU, until you get the hang of it. Remember your reaction time HAS NO EFFECT ON YOUR ET. You can sit at the light for a week if you want and still pull the best run of the night.

Don't worry about reaction times your first night. Just focus on a good launch and not missing shifts.

Did you get paired up with John Force this run? That is one of the most annoying things ever. Let the 600hp open header Camaro launch ahead of you, it makes sure you don't get creamed, and you get to focus on your run once he is done sliding around the track.

Remember it takes practice. Get the jitters out then start having some real fun.

4. Tire stuff.

Run high pressure in the back to keep it from squatting/unloading front. Lower the front pressure just enough to were you are getting good traction. Don't drop it down to 3psi or something. Remember you are on street tires. The lower the pressure the more the rolling resistance. Find the proper balance. A stiffer sidewall tire will generally be run at lower pressure for obvious reasons. Check them right before runs for consistency, pressure can change throughout the night.

Tip: For us without compressors fill them all the way up at a gas station and work you way down during the night. Don't bleed them low from the beginning because if it's too low you are stuck with it all night.

I generally ran around 20-22psi.

DO A DRY BURNOUT. Notice I said DRY, not a wet. Go in the water box and you might as well make a run on ice with street tires. Some people will argue about this, when they pull better 60' times than me I'll listen. Driving between runs you pick up dirt and other crap, doing a dry burnout will clean them off simple as that, and depending on the street tire a little heat might actually help. I usually pull the ebrake, but not necessary.

5. Do your normal maintenance, such as spark plugs more frequent if you want the best times. Mine always loved a fresh set of plugs. Little story, I was at the track one night car was "only" trapping 96mph, I knew something was up, check the plugs, they were fouled out. I ran to the store and picked up a new set, installed them in the parking lot, and my trap speeds bumped back up to 99mph I kid you not. A well running car means everything.

6. What's some simple stuff I can do?

Easy. Take out your seats and spare tire, remove the power steering belt, and unhook the exhaust. All free and they worked for me well.

7. Ok I've got everything down, launching good, and taking care of the car. What should I expect?

We are now saying you have a well running R, you know it by heart, and can launch/shift the fool out if it. You are also blessed with a good track and location.

Bone stock- 14.2-14.4
    Free mods-13.9-14.2 (weight reduction)
    Bolt-ons-13.6-13.9 (depending on weight)

Some personal times of note.

14.03@99.35mph- AEM CAI, free mods listed. This was before I had ever landed a 2.1 60' as well, but was due to the fact that I launched in the power band. It does
    make a difference.

14.3@97mph- AEM, full interior, 115lb passenger.

14.3@96mph- Full interior, AEM CAI, JDM DC header modified to fit stock exhaust, 200lb passenger.

14.4@95 in 80 degree heat with extremely high humidity. Just AEM CAI and no exhaust.

13.8@98mph with a 2.0 60'. AEM CAI, JDM DC, running on 22lb CRV rims.

and the big 13.7@100.42mph. Same mods as the 13.8 listed above just a better night.

End notes: These times are not from some mizzad driving gift on my part. It came from simple practice and figuring out what works and what doesn't.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Who's it by?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC2R

If this guy is so serious about drag racing, he's in the wrong car.

That first post sounds like from the USA.
    For some reason, they always get AMAZING quartermile times in stock cars...
    hmmmm

Member Array
    Car:
    Oldschool EF
    Quote Originally Posted by edw-R
    Right now sitting at the computer fire off the fastest front snap kick you can muster with your left leg.
    Great.. i almost knocked the table down..

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by bumography
    Great.. i almost knocked the table down..
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by vtir22
    maybe he likes the type r and wants it to go fast

short people can play basketball and enjoy it

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1, JAZZ, ITR, EURO
    Quote Originally Posted by vtir22

Can you do it with your stock car??
    Type R isn't only give you good cornering and also give you good acceleration.
    When you are in traffic light or start on the track, you also need good starting method. Something like the post. Need practice, practice and more practice.
    Sorry. Maybe i am little bit rude. But i am serious. Tyre R is the best FF with 1.8L engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    92 integra LS TURBO,96gsi
    NAH HONDA 1.8L TURBO.......GOES OFF, but i would like a type R

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Savant
    ...short people can play basketball and enjoy it
    You don't choose to be short! you're born with it. But you choose which car you buy. I'm just saying he seems to put a lot of emphisis on the drag strip... The R was and is always about having 'the' optimised package for the track - one with corners .

Quote Originally Posted by edw-R
    Can you do it with your stock car??
    Type R isn't only give you good cornering and also give you good acceleration.
    When you are in traffic light or start on the track, you also need good starting method. Something like the post. Need practice, practice and more practice.
    Sorry. Maybe i am little bit rude. But i am serious. Tyre R is the best FF with 1.8L engine.
    Dude you don't need to convince me, I own one. You're preaching to the converted. I'm just saying this person spends so much time getting tenths out of his quarter mile seems is kinda pointless to me. If you're serious about drag racing that you do it so much you might as well get a RWD car with a turbo or a big motor. The laws of physics state that acceleration is the forte for RWD/AWD cars. Accelerate -> weight shifts back (front gets light) -> rear tyres get even more traction = better launch... Work that out with FF.

Can I do it in my car? I don't know, never been to a drag strip and never will with my car. Why would I want to wear out my clutch and gearbox gaining tenths off my quarter mile? Traffic light sprint... so what if you win? so what if you lose? I can get much better kicks and enjoyment out of my car in less destructive ways and really enjoy the car the way it was designed to be enjoyed.

I just find FF drag racing pointless. Just as I do turbos on a VTEC motor. To each their own.

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    Id like to see a stock ITR get those times !!!

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1, JAZZ, ITR, EURO
    Hi, vtir22. You seem very angry. I agree with you. Most of integra owner usually concerns the handling. Not concern with drag racing.
    In my point, we are not a drag racer, but we still need to learn how to control our car in any situations. I also love to race on the track. Hope you can understand!!