Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B

Damn Clutch on Euro...

I took the car in for it's 10,000km service yesterday.. it's actually sitting on 9700km. That's not the issue though.

A few days ago, I was in cruise control driving home at night, sixth gear, when i noticed that the revs just slipped up... that generallly not being a good sign. Cruise was off once i got back into suburban traffic and throughout the next few days, i noticed it got worse. My worst fear, that the clutch had been worn out was true. It slips and revs without holding any power at any gear even with the slightest acceleratin sometimes.

Now... im pretty sure in general clutches don't go out in 10,000, that's ridiculous, considering i haven't even started to thrash the car around, like i've seen my other mates cars thrashed around in manuals.

When it was in for service, i got them to look at it for me, and the guy said yeah, uh worn clutch - im like WTF? they're like yep.. hafta talk to Honda, get approval to strip it.. and if they decide it's not warranty, then you pay.

Im like stuff that.. Im not happy with any of this at all. Either i've gotten a dodgy batch of a car with a crap clutch - extremely bad.

So im wondering i anyone has heard of anything similar?

On a side note, it gives me an excuse to put in a performance clutch, so im looking around for prices and brands at the moment, and want it put in asap, so any advice on that would also be appreciated
    Last edited by VirIIx; 10-02-2005 at 09:03 AM.
    MY07 Subaru Liberty GT 2.5T B.Spec 6SPD MT | Satin White Pearl
    MY04 Honda Accord Euro Luxury 6SPD MT | Arctic Blue
    MY00 Chrysler Neon LE AT | Red Salsa

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    There was one chap - BlueEuro who posted about his clutch going on the Euro. Then he dissappeared - literally. Didn't answer any follow up posts about the circumstances or anything - or whether Honda covered it.

Then there is one other person I know of on this forum who had their clutch replaced under warranty - but they weren't exactly doing the right thing at the time - so special circumstnaces. Honda fixed that one.

I think yours will be fixed under warranty - wait to see what honda say. There are performance clutches out there - i think by Exedy - not worth spending the money if you can get this fixed under warranty.

Considering the number of Euros sold worldwide - I think this is a problem in only a very very small percentage of Euros. Otherwise I think I would have read more posts about the issue. That is what I am hoping anyway

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    yeap i read up on those posts,

i didn't want to take the chance with honda, seeing i was talking to the head mechanic and he told me (not that it means much) that he would hafta look at it and honda probably won't cover it. Seeing as the other guy was lucky, i personally don't feel like the force is with me on this one.

I've had my fair share of experiences with car manufacturers and they all suck when it comes to warranty. Funny enough the other car also had the same problem, only it died after the warranty period - because they pushed my service 2 weeks out of warranty period. :\

Regardless, ill just put a new clutch inside, saves the whole messing around. Sure it's money from my pocket, but at least i know what is going in my car and hopefully it'll give the car that extra bit of durability and performance.

does your clutch pedal squeeks when u press it?

Could be the faulty clutch master cylinder causing the clutch not releasing properly.
    there's a case in USA where the guy had the same problem as yours, a burn out clutch. He took it back to Honda and they said it was caused by a faulty MC.

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    i don't hear any squeaking.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by baboo
    does your clutch pedal squeeks when u press it?

Could be the faulty clutch master cylinder causing the clutch not releasing properly.
    there's a case in USA where the guy had the same problem as yours, a burn out clutch. He took it back to Honda and they said it was caused by a faulty MC.
    That reminds me, I had the clutch creak and a grind when shifting 1-2. After changing the master cylinder, the creak went a way but the grind stayed for a while. After 2 more weeks, the 1-2 grind is now very rare!
    Last edited by aaronng; 10-02-2005 at 10:21 AM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    That's an idea.....and the only reason I can think of for the clutch wearing out soo quickly.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    I guess i could always talk to them about that. Thanks for the advice.

Memory oF A PIMP'n Euro Array
    Car:
    Bavarian Motor Works
    I had a burnt out clutch on my euro but that had to do with me flooring it... I was lucky it was under warranty but maybe it was under warranty because i paid for the extended warranty that honda offered when i bought the car...

Does ur clutch smell of burnt plastics when u park it in the garage??

Well hopefully Honda will change the clutch under warranty. It takes a while to change the clutch.. Took them 2 days...
    Last edited by Pum[Z]; 11-02-2005 at 01:35 AM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    if your dealer gives your a hard time deal directly with Honda, there quite good and they will look after you, at least for the 1st clutch. Honda try to keep there customers happy, but at the same time there not a charity, Im sure if you write them a polite letter you will get a positive result.

anyway I was able to make my clutch slip bigtime, scared the crap out of me.

Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude
    I don't think you will have any problems with being covered by warrently. Afterall, that is the whole point of it! 10,000km from a new clutch is very unacceptable, even if the car has been drven hard (which you say you haven't done) and any good car manufacturer should acknowledge that. My dad went through two clutches on his WRX before it reached 20,000km (and he didn't really thrash his car) and both were changed no questions asked.....hopefully honda will do the same

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear (IE a clutch) unless the failure was during manufacturing.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq