Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord Euro Lux!

Question Another Euro Oil Topic Again! Need Advise!

Been reading past thread's about oil that each of you use in your car.

I now want to ask your opinion on this.

I currently have Repsol according to the sticker on my car windscreen its 10w-40. Not sure if its Semi Synthetic or Synthetic ?

Should I stick with it or go with something along the lines of Mobil 1 0w-40 or Pennzoil 5w-50 as it has long life protection.

I am a personal who does very very short journeys during the week home to work is less then 2.5km! Thus not giving engine oil time to heat through the engine.

But when it comes to the weekend normally give the engine a good work out (i.e. get stuck in city traffic, have air con on etc...)

I want to protect my engine! as much as possible so further more should I change oil at every 5000km not 10000km ?

I await your thoughts.....

Cheers

REV888

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Stick to the Honda oil, you'll find that it is stated in the manual that you have to use Honda's oil in order to keep the warranty valid. I don't think it is worth using Mobil 1 in your case, it is much better to change the engine oil more often (follow the severe condition service schedule) than to use a more expensive oil.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord Euro Lux!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Stick to the Honda oil, you'll find that it is stated in the manual that you have to use Honda's oil in order to keep the warranty valid. I don't think it is worth using Mobil 1 in your case, it is much better to change the engine oil more often (follow the severe condition service schedule) than to use a more expensive oil.

Honda Oil Is good but made for colder climates not really for hot and humid conditions we face here in Australia.

But will look into the severe condition service schedule thanks

Honda FEO oil is good enough.
    Some say they are Caltex oil, just packaged as honda oil.

If your home to work is only 2.5km, why not walk to work? LOL.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Stick to the Honda oil, you'll find that it is stated in the manual that you have to use Honda's oil in order to keep the warranty valid..
    Where does it say that? My dealer puts in the oil I asked him to put in - no problem with warranty as long as it meets the honda specifications in your manual.

yeah any good oil is OK. won't void the warranty. doesn't really matter if you put Mobil 1 or just honda oil.

It's more important to change oil regularly like every 5000km if possible.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord Euro Lux!
    Quote Originally Posted by baboo
    Honda FEO oil is good enough.
    Some say they are Caltex oil, just packaged as honda oil.

If your home to work is only 2.5km, why not walk to work? LOL.
    Some time I do But most of the time I dont as later on usally have to drive to a client's office.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord Euro Lux!
    Quote Originally Posted by baboo
    yeah any good oil is OK. won't void the warranty. doesn't really matter if you put Mobil 1 or just honda oil.

It's more important to change oil regularly like every 5000km if possible.
    Is that how often you change your oil ?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    A full synthetic shoud last longer than 5000kms. I am using Shell Helix Ultra - i think it is 5-40 or something close to that. Not an expensive oil - $44 or something like that for 5 litres.

The Shell oil doesn't seem to put out as much power as the Castrol Formula R I used previously - yet the Formula R was semi-synthetic and cost around the same.

I might give the full synthetic Castrol Formula R a go next time - it is more expensive though - around $65

Formula R shouldn't cost more than $45 for the 5w-30 stuff.....thats the most I've ever paid for that oil.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S
    Formula R is some pretty good stuff especially the 10W-60 truly fully synthetic, run specifically at targa tasmania on some cars, mainly wrx's. motul is also a good one turbo light 4400, that what i am going to use, good personal reviews from lots of owners , oil compound does not break down so can be changed every 10000km instead of 5000km, had a member on another forum get the oil tested. But all in all if you get your cars oil changed every 5000km you can't go wrong, it will looked better on your log books and when you sell you car you get more for it.

you don't really take you car to track on put it under much stress a decent synthetic oil will do, no need to go overboard unless you want to.
    "When the christmas light drops the b***sh*t
    stops"
    04 Jazz VTI-S
    99 WRX
    97 Lancer MR

Quote Originally Posted by REV888
    Is that how often you change your oil ?
    Yeah, but it's personal preference really...

Like yFin said, full synthetics lasts more than 5000km. But in your case, you only travel short distances, oil don't even gets to warm up properly. The oil gets blacken & degrade quite quickly.

Stick with Honda Oil and change every 5000km that's what I'll do.

In my case, I do trackdays once or twice a month, so I change it every 5000km.