Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Arrow Removal of Intake resonator from 5th gen

I finally got around to removing that fat white resonator from underneath the filter box in my F22B1 (vtec) 97 accord to augment my HKS panel filter.

Stupidly though instead of filling up the same petrol to compare the before and after performance, I filled up with vortex and now the car seems a bit less responsive at low revs (below 4000)- did anyone else find this? Or is the car just less surgey and I'm just feeling it to be less responsive?

What does other ppl who've done this before think...

And to add, strangely enough, this loss in response only seems most obvious at full throttle, it actually seems MORE responsive at partial throttle acceleration

Member Array
    Car:
    94 accord turbo
    where is the intake resonator?? and why need to take it off??

its underneath the box where your panel filter sits, inside the bumper. to get to it you need to take off the cover of your right front wheel arch

if you open ur bonnet, you will see that the engine actually draws air in from inside the engine bay, directly against the battery. removing the stock intake resonator would allow it to draw air from inside the bumper, away from engine heat, and also removing the need for air to take a big detour before getting to the air filter.

makes the vtec phase a lot louder, seems to make the top end more responsive (works out in theory at least), but at the moment i think it seems to make the bottom end a bit weaker.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 accord turbo
    i got a cold air intake and filter but not the pipe so is it worth taking the intake resonator out??

where is ur cold air intake feeding from??

usually people take out the white intake resonator and put the new conical filter for the CAI where the resi used to be.

otherwise where is ur filter sitting? if it is still inside the engine compartment, then the air isn't 'cold'

Member Array
    Car:
    MY08 STi
    *DUNDAS* i got CAI on my car f22b1 accord cd5. took out my resinoator thingy .. much louder... seems mor repsonsive0--- i also run a cold air feed to it so it has sum airto the pod.. also custom heat shielded it. without intake res out... how is cold air suppose to get to it easy?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R
    You will find that this modification is for use with stock intake and airbox (albeit with an aftermarket drop in filter).

With the stock system, air is taken from the side of the engine bay, feeds it through a complex series of resonators (ie. big white box) in the fenderwell and back up into the bottom of the airbox (at least this how it was on my DC2).

I believe there are two schools of thought on this one:

1. The resonators serve no other purpose to suppress the glorious Honda intake roar - and make it suitably quiet for a pasenger vehicle. The re-use of 'warm' air from the engine bay I believe has something to do with emissions or perhaps operation on cold days (I am not 100% on this one - perhaps someone can enlighten me).
    Thus removing the resonator allows cooler air to be drawn from within the fenderwell and hence generates more power ... along with the added benefit of a raunchier scream coming from under the bonnet.

2. The resonators are a complicated tuned interface designed by Honda engineers that provide an additive intake resonace that aids air/fuel mixing and delivery to the combusition chamber. (I believe this is indicated also by Spoon who only provide a drop in filter for the DC2 rather than a whole intake system or CAI; or Mugen who have invested a lot of R&D into their tuned airbox).
    Thus removing the resonator will actually harm the performance of your Honda (and goes for generic CAI and intakes).

Personally I have removed mine and can honestly say I didnt notice a shred of difference - although that doesnt mean that there wasnt any.
    I've often thought of putting it back ... but there are some weight savings to be had from removing it

Perhaps others can share their experiences.

Mike

Member Array
    i did the same mod
    mostly for the louder vtec roar (pretty pathetic in the SOHC vtecs) and to save weight

i read somewhere (some US forum) to reset the ECU as well, by discon the power from the battery and reconnecting it again - but now i cant rem why... something to do with air/fuel mixture? - correct me if im wrong though..

this mod was done years ago so i dont rem if there was any difference apart from noise

Member Array
    Car:
    happy car
    it roars wickedly in my accord ^_^ i like it and das all dat matters LOL- its like 50% louder than my stock exhaust and 30% louder than my aftermarket exhaust-- ROAR.

ok it seems the obd has compensated... it is better now.

Cheers

Any pictures of how to remove the resonator for the 5th gen Accords? and what do you do after you remove everything? get a K&N Panel Filter? and is it easy to make a custom pipe to lead air into the stock air box??