Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

Euro Oil Consumption

Anyone out there experiencing high oil consumption? My service dealership currently has me on "consumption watch" i.e.I now have to take the car in every 1,000kms. When I say high, I mean by modern standards, where no one expects to use any oil between changes. Mine has used 0.50 litres between 20k and 20.5k. Courtney & Patterson my service dealership, say they have not seen this on the current crop of 2.4 ltr engines so I have not been fed the "they all do that" crap. C&P only use Honda oil whatever that is. I would not call myself a hard driver, never exceed 3,000 rpm unless the engine is warm, mainly commuter driving with the odd freeway squirt.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    You use 0.5 litres every 20k or you used 0.5 litres between 20k to 20.5k on the odometer (i.e. 500km)? I've only reached 5000km, but no oil consumption between the 1000km service and now.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRV 2011
    GOD i hope this is not going to be an issue on the accords although u should be happy Honda is actually looking at you issue seriously and not brushing it off like subaru does, I got rid of my last car cos Subaru wouldnt address this issue among others... my last car Subaru liberty 2.5i 03-04 was consuming on avg 500ml's of oil every 3000km it had almost 40,000km on it Subaru claim the engine still wasnt run in yet and thats why it was consuming oil (load of crap)...I check my euros oil after every fuel stop once the car is parked at home (on level ground) after a few hours to ensure i get a correct oil measurement reading so far no oil consumption either...

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by fergus
    Anyone out there experiencing high oil consumption? My service dealership currently has me on "consumption watch" i.e.I now have to take the car in every 1,000kms. When I say high, I mean by modern standards, where no one expects to use any oil between changes. Mine has used 0.50 litres between 20k and 20.5k. Courtney & Patterson my service dealership, say they have not seen this on the current crop of 2.4 ltr engines so I have not been fed the "they all do that" crap. C&P only use Honda oil whatever that is. I would not call myself a hard driver, never exceed 3,000 rpm unless the engine is warm, mainly commuter driving with the odd freeway squirt.
    It is a little unusual - I have never added oil to my car - now at 21k and dip stick above top mark since last service at 17.5k. That said - oil consumption is normal during break in. If there is a problem, such as an oil seal leak - it will be fixed.

Also - I presume the 20k oil change was done by Courntey and Patterson? How do you/they know the new apprentice put the right amount of oil in your car?

Member Array
    Car:
    happy car
    if u recently had a service.. check if they put da damn drain bolt back in tightly

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    There are many reports of oil consumption of the K24 engine on the tsx.acurazine.com boards as well. But those people only do their first oil change at 10000 miles! Yup, that's 16000 km in our measurement units. Crazy, that Acura is claiming that their engine can go that long before the first service on the factory mineral oil! I mean, a luxury brand has to have lower maintenance requirements because the owners don't have the time for that, but 16000 km for the first oil change is ridiculous.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord Euro Lux!
    Trust me after owning a Alfa Romeo 147, Honda has no issue with oil consump.

My 2L Twin Spark Engine in the Alfa would drink 1L of oil in about 1200Km you have nothing to worry about.

On the other had I better check my oil level ah ?

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    My car seems to have used a fair amout of oil.
    It's done around 9500km now and is showing about half-full or a bit less on the dipstick.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Sorry guys got the decimal point wrong! The consumption is .5 litres in 5,000 kms!
    No I am not sure that they filled it to the top initially.

My understanding is that these modern engines really relish being revved a bit more than I may have been doing. Of course in Victoria that means running the risk of loss of licence, so maybe I should not be so anxious to get into 6th.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    what I do is a medium throttle in 2nd. It is the gas pressure that helps seat the piston rings. Just look for a road with 80 limit.

coladuna: 0.5 litres in 9500km is not too bad. You'd be going for your service at 10000km anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    coladuna: 0.5 litres in 9500km is not too bad. You'd be going for your service at 10000km anyway.
    Does half line on the dipstick equal .5 litres?
    I have been thrashing the car a fair bit, i must admit.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by coladuna
    Does half line on the dipstick equal .5 litres?
    I have been thrashing the car a fair bit, i must admit.
    I'm not sure if that is 0.5 litres. But those who do suffer excessive oil consumption report that the dipstick doesn't show any oil at all! I reckon yours is ok, and also because you thrash the car too, so 0.5 litres when you are close to the service won't kill your engine due to oil starvation.