Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    forester xt

Comptech Titanium Strut Brace fits Euro

Well it took me a few hours of work last night and a few extra zip ties but I managed to get my Comptech Titanium strut brace to fit on my Euro.

The A/C lines definitely are the main problem, but a bit of foam insulation and some zip ties to hold them firmly against the strut brace should do the trick. They shouldn't move at all while the car is running and neither will the strut brace, so there shouldn't be any rubbing.

There were a number of other metal brackets removed which held brake booster and power steering tubes in place, but they were easily supported by ziptying them to the strut brace or other mounting points.

Now I would not expect a company to sell the solution that I have put together as I am sure that most customers would feel a little uncomfortable about the number of zipties that I ended up using, but it fits, it works and I don't foresee any rubbing or wearing problems with the way it has been setup.

Photo's will follow of the end result, I didn't take too many along the way as it is really just a matter of removing things methodically that will get in the way. I will however take photo's of all the brackets removed, where they were located and the adjustments to replace them.

If I had my time over, I would probably buy the Cusco strut brace which is a much better fit because it is designed for the right hand drive CL9 and also a hell of a lot cheaper (Comptech charge US$319). Having said that, I do have an unhealthy obsession with titanium and billet alloy (and steel for that matter!) and quite simply I love the way it looks in the engine bay.

That alone and the uniqueness of this mod in Australia makes it all worthwhile.

Photo's soon and an account of whether it makes any difference to the handling when driving ...

Rod

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Ahhh... Next time get the post up with pics first!! You're making me itch while I wait LOL!
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Well done - love the Comptech bar. I would be one of the customers that wouldn't want zip ties holding brake booster, etc!

Let us know how it goes. I think the front end is stiff enough - but interesting to see how you find it.

hehe - Just read that closed Faiz post about understeer/oversteer - when he really is talking about a wheel alignment. Very funny indeed. There is no way with his driving ability he can get that car to oversteer
    Last edited by yfin; 28-03-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    forester xt
    Well the brake booster itself is still held in place by proper brackets, but it is just the vaccuum hoses which are now "guided" by zip ties as opposed to metal brackets.

Sorry ... photo's will explain all shortly ...

Rod

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by jolt
    Well the brake booster itself is still held in place by proper brackets, but it is just the vaccuum hoses which are now "guided" by zip ties as opposed to metal brackets.

Sorry ... photo's will explain all shortly ...

Rod
    ahh sounds good. love the titanium but fark $319US is not cheap.

Memory oF A PIMP'n Euro Array
    Car:
    Bavarian Motor Works
    Yeah we want Photo's

Member Array
    Car:
    forester xt

Pictures uploaded!!

http://www.prosperion.com.au/rod/titanium/

Well I have finally put up some photo's of the Comptech Titanium Strut Brace installed on my OzDM Accord Euro. The descriptions should be pretty self-explanatory but I'm happy to field any questions if they're not clear.

Here is one of the photo's ...

I have also included some photo's of my Spoon Socks , Injen CAI, Hondata Heatshield and AEM Bypass Valve which were also recently installed.

Overall I am really happy with how clean and neat the engine bay looks now. I was at first a bit nervous about the number of zipties I used, but I now think it looks neater, cleaner and more professional than OEM!!

As I mentioned earlier, for the cost next time I would buy a Cusco strut brace designed to fit a right hand drive CL9 in the first place.

Extremely happy though with the TITANIUM look and how unique this mod is.

Rod
    Last edited by jolt; 29-04-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Array
    Car:
    Disco Potato
    wow! great fotos there! well done
    Fast and furious? I drive slow and luxurious...

What does an AEM bypass do?

great shot of engine bay btw!!
    BNR34 N1 spec
    QR Sprint - 57.79
    QR Clubman - 60.74
    QR National - 1:22.71

Member Array
    Car:
    forester xt
    If you drive into water deep enough to cover the pod filter on your CAI, then you risk sucking up a whole lot of water and hydrolocking (seizing) your engine. Then your best case scenario is a full rebuild, otherwise if there is any damage to the block which can't be repaired, you're up for a whole new engine.

The AEM bypass valve is basically like a rubber coupling but with dense foam sides and some rubber flaps inside that open up with an increase in vacuum in the intake. The idea is that in normal conditions it is easier to suck air through the pod filter than through the foam of the bypass valve. Then if the pod filter of your CAI is submersed in water, it is easier to suck air from the engine bay through the foam than sucking the water through the pod filter and up the CAI.

From what I know, AEM do not make a valve that will fit the K&N Typhoon kit, they only have models to fit their own CAI and the one from Injen.

More information available here:
    http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ted/index.html

Does that all make sense? Basically it's an insurance policy against killing your engine when it rains and since this car is my wife's, whilst I might make sure that I don't drive through deep puddles, there's no way I can expect her to do the same. Especially since she thinks the mod's are a waste of money and ruining the car anyway!!

Rod

Member Array
    Car:
    forester xt
    great shot of engine bay btw!!
    Thanks, it's really dirty though and could do with a good clean.

Rod

Rod,

So what you're saying is the by pass valve also sucking air all the time?
    wouldn't that defeat the purpose of CAI?

I see you blocking the rocker valve, that would build up pressure inside the crank wouldnt it? best to get a oil filter or somesort.
    BNR34 N1 spec
    QR Sprint - 57.79
    QR Clubman - 60.74
    QR National - 1:22.71