Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R

DC2 VTiR stock suspension upgrade

Hey guys.

I was out tonight having a bit of a play in my stock 1994 DC2 Integra VTi-R. One thing I noticed was a scary amount of body roll around some tight corners, and some loss of traction when pushing out of longer corners.

So now I'm wondering if I should void my stupid warranty on the suspension and upgrade to something that will hold the road better, and how much this is gonna cost me / if it's worth it?

I understand whiteline are a good company (as many toymods guys have told me), and have looked at their stuff. They seem to have 3 options. The Handling pack, the sports pack, and the full kit. Sports pack seems to just be a set of springs and shocks. I imagine these will be lower than standard and possibly even lower than the Type R dampers and springs? Handling pack replaces a lot more parts, but I'm wondering if, without new shocks, am I gonna see much of a difference. Obviously the works is desireable, but outside what I could afford to pay. Note, I'm still paying this car off, and will be for a few years.

So I'm wondering, are shocks and springs all that's needed? Or should I be considering sway bars, and lower controll arm braces? Will lowering the car put any un-due pressure on other suspension components that aren't upgraded? Or am I better off just getting type R suspension components?

The VTi-R already has a strut brace in place, so unless it's totaly crap, I don't think I have to worry about that.

Last question (and sorry for the essay), I've heard people mention anti-lift kits, but never had anyone explain to me exactly what they are. I've been told they reduce body roll.

Note that I want to keep my car as a day driver. Also I'm open to suggestions on brand, but I don't want something that's gonna die on me. If I do end up lowering, I'll be voiding my suspension warranty so I want something I can trust.

EDIT:
    P.S. I also think my DC2 looks to high. So cosmeticaly speaking, lowering sounds good.
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A DA9
    springs + shocks, whiteline & koni good combo

& upgrading the from the stock honda rear sway bar is one of the best suspension mods IMO. Whiteline make a 22mm which is

keep front upper chassis brace.
    Get larger rear swaybar + tiebar setup from whiteline - THEN either lower springs or perhaps a koni yellow/spring combo to give it a nicer stance.
    Maybe spend alittle mroe and install a front castor kit ( from whiteline too).

After everything is installed get a full wheel alignment and you are set. Dont forget good rubber too !

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    keep front upper chassis brace.
    Get larger rear swaybar + tiebar setup from whiteline - THEN either lower springs or perhaps a koni yellow/spring combo to give it a nicer stance.
    Maybe spend alittle mroe and install a front castor kit ( from whiteline too).

After everything is installed get a full wheel alignment and you are set. Dont forget good rubber too !
    is getting the larger rear swaybar + tie bar combo better than having a lower stiffer stance? as in...would i notice more of a handling difference installing the rear swaybar+tie bar as opposed to getting coilovers or aftermarket shocks?

i plan on doing all of these eventually, just wondering if id feel a noticeable improvement with this upgrade on an otherwise stock suspension dc2. i WAS saving for coilovers...but since i can afford the rear swaybar+tiebar combo now, i might as well get it if it will give me a decent handling upgrade!

the best / most influencial mod = larger rear swaybar

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    Rear swaybar? That's strange. Especialy on a FWD. But then perhaps that's why it's not as strong stock, 'cuz it's a FWD and they don't think it would matter as much?

Anyway, I'll price this all out. Cheers guys. I wouldn't wanna just get springs. I hear bad things about that and what it does to the dampers.

As KK said, would I be better off getting the rear swaybar than getting coilovers or springs and dampers?

Will a castor kid put more strain on my power steering?

I've got Potenzas on the back at the moment, and some crap up front (I'll get them rotated next service).

What would you recomend as good rubber for stock DC2 VTiR rims?
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    Oh, and what is a tiebar anyway? How does it work?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2
    you'd prolly want to do the rear sway bar AND the coilover/shocks upgrade eventually, as its all benficial in the end...but yeh im probably going to do the rear swaybar + tie bar since its cheaper atm! even though it means my car will be sitting in the sky for awhile longer

as for tyres, it really depends how much you wanna spend. i got shitty hankooks on the stockies from the previous owner so i will probably upgrade to either bridgestone g3s or possibly falken azenis rt215s if im feeling somewhat cashed up

but at about $110 - $130 a tyre for g3s in 195/50/r15s im leaning more towards the bridgestones...

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Aight lets not talk about tyres here as there are a few other threads RE that already. Lets try and keep this thread about springs/shocks/swaybars to reduce confusion.

As already stated, your best bang for buck would be to upgrade your rear swaybar as it will help you reduce bodyroll and understeer. Make sure you also get the heavy duty mounts to protect your subframe (see the whiteline site for more info).

Then you can do your springs/shocks.

Casor kit will help improve turn in at a sacrifice of slightly stiffer steering (which will in theory put more straing on your power steering system), but it should be fine.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Great post thanks

Im gonna get a 22mm Rear Sway bar from Whiteline ( TRAV)
    can i install this myself ??? or needs to be professionally installed

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    thanks heaps for the input fellas, this is helpin me out heaps too
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lerroy
    Great post thanks

Im gonna get a 22mm Rear Sway bar from Whiteline ( TRAV)
    can i install this myself ??? or needs to be professionally installed
    If you have some basic install skills......it isn't too hard (although the whiteline instructions I've heard suck LOL)
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq