Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...

ALLMOTOR Build Question

Just wanted to ask the resident experts...

With regards to a b16A2 setup using stock conrods + EK9/SPOON/OTHER high compression pistons and rings and stock cams intending to make power up to 9000rpm

1. Will stock ECU (obd2) + VAFC be sufficient (not optimal i know, but SUFFICIENT)

2. If above is insufficient... would it make sense to put one of those "mugen Ecus" in

3. Does the fuel system (ie: pump, injectors, etc) need upgrading at this point

4. Does stock ignition system (plugs, leads, dizzy, coils, etc) need changing

Feel free to comment as i'm still researching and i havent bought any parts as yet. Do i really need cams to make power up to 9000rpm or not necessary?

ps: on my budget...the max i would get are EK9 Cams + springs (no retainers)

cheers

If you're intending to rev to 9k, you'll need to upgrade the rod bolts at least. Stock fuel and Ignition is fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    You'll definitely need an after market ECU you allow you to rev to 9k. VAFC does not have the ability to change the rev limiter.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

if ur goin to spend the money on high comp pistons y not make sure its all good with a good computer??
    isnt that better than everythin screwin up??

yeah agree ,a good computer will help a lot ,e manage or hondata are highly recommanded, also you need some rod bolt and head stud just to be safe

sydteg21 - who the hell "highly recommends" e-manage?

AFAIK it is crap, and is highly NOT recommended.

**Ghost** not sure if you will make power to 9k with such limited mods...

but my point to you would be this:

with a limited budget, do not set goals in terms of rpm, power or anything silly like that.

plan your engine to be a system of parts working co-operatively together, and the numbers will work themselves out...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

agreed tink - my limited knowledge of ecu's permits me to say that if you want to make "power" SAFELY up to 9000rpm then e-manage won't cut it... neither will a mugen ecu or spoon ecu as they are mapped to perform on a very stock engine.

if you are skimping on engine parts (ie using only CTR pistons) then DEFINITELY do not skimp on the ECU - will offer too much headache.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG
    Quote Originally Posted by type one
    agreed tink - my limited knowledge of ecu's permits me to say that if you want to make "power" SAFELY up to 9000rpm then e-manage won't cut it... neither will a mugen ecu or spoon ecu as they are mapped to perform on a very stock engine.

if you are skimping on engine parts (ie using only CTR pistons) then DEFINITELY do not skimp on the ECU - will offer too much headache.
    i agree wif type one, thats the headache im going through at the moment

if u want to rev up 9000rpm be prepared to have a deep pocket

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    so the rods are the weakest link here?

Just one thing... when engines reach high KMs and require a rebuild what is the thing that tends to die? Cos i'm presuming

1. the crankshaft being a solid and honda balanced piece of metal cannot break
    2. the pistons/rings are most likely to die first
    3. the conrods? i wanna know if these die

cos if i'm going to be bothered with a rebuild... i might as well do it all

rods the weakest link? no - but the rod *bolts* might be...

but the B16A piston accelleration is not too extreme as to put huge stress on them, but they are only $80, so why not?

IMO - your bearings will 'die' first, then rings...

the rest of the things you mention break due to '**** up' - not old age...

you really need to decide what your *goal* is man, you are still wandering around directionless...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    hahaha i know

i want -

1. a reliable setup that will make the engine internals for PRACTICAL purposes brand new. Hence i'm not going to do this until my engine dies or is near death. I've only done under 150,000KM atm tho

2. a setup that makes considerably more power than a stock bolt-ons b16a.

3. the power increase must be worth the labor hours being paid for involved in the rebuild. Wot i mean by this is that if CTR pistons cost about 450 plus rings/etc... i'd pay 600 for some other brand (wiseco? eagle?) since its the same labor $$$ to put in the pistons

hope i'm making myself clearer now?

but to make considerably more power, you would need considerably more compression, and if you run more compressioon you will need larger camshafts, and to run larger camshafts you will need better valve springs and retainers.

plus you will need a suitable aftermarket EMS to control it all.

that is talking big $$$

the problem you seem to yet realise is that you cannot just add larger compression pistons and leave everything else stock. you could even lose power...
    B20VTEC - since 2002