Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira

Subframe/swaybar 101 EK/EM/EJ

Time to clear fact from fiction
    I've decided to create a new thread explaining the differences in subframes and the reason why we need reinforcements in EK's(NON CTR)... NOTE not EG/DC..

the below is only a guild.. you do what you like as its your car. i know of cars that never ran reinforcements and were fine

Fact 1: everyone knows you cannot use a 22mm rear sway bar without reinforcements.

It would either: - tear the S#@T out of your subframe

- Pluck the bolt holes out.

Review:

Whiteline :

pro's- 3 mount (no plucking)

con's - places the swaybar d bracket further out giving it leverage to tear you subframe; no linking b/w reinforcements (tie bar provides no twist torsion which is what is needed most).. LOOK AT WHERE THE SWAY BAR MOUNTS TO THE REINFORCEMENT...

Beaks :

Pro's - use larger sway bar; keeps oringal mounting width (less leverage for twist);

con's - no linking b/w reinforcements (tie bar provides no twist torsion which is what is needed most);

ASR :

pro's - keeps original mounting width (less leverage for twist); connecting plate for torsion twist purposes....
    YOU SEE HOW THE MOUNTING HOLES ARE ALIGNED AND NOT PLACED ON THE OUTTER SIDE

Last edited by BlitZ; 22-02-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    Nice post 'BlitZ', I'll add this to the 'Frequently Asked Questions' sticky up the top.

+1 rep point for you
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    already got a ASR brace for my ek coming in the post. if you wanna know where to get the ASR braces for any honda pm me.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc5r
    Quote Originally Posted by LowEk
    already got a ASR brace for my ek coming in the post. if you wanna know where to get the ASR braces for any honda pm me.
    Can you run these asr braces with the whiteline setup?

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    yes thats what im going to do. im going to run a 22mm whiteline rear bar. ill let you know how i go with mine when i fit should be fitting it in the next few weeks.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitZ

Whiteline :

pro's- 3 mount (no plucking)

con's - places the swaybar d bracket further out giving it leverage to tear you subframe
    While I understand what you are saying, I am not sure that 100% agree. The bolts that run through the subframe are supported by spacers so they will not move. The only way that I could see leverage being created is if the bolts that hold the d bracket in place were actually to 'dig' into the lca providing movement for the bracket and bar to move backwards and forwards/ up and down.

When you say the tie bars provide no "twist torsion" can you explain a bit more by what you mean?
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    ASR is the shit
    i got mine sitting in my room waiting for an install.
    Its very sturdy and if you look at pics of it compared to beaks/BSQ, you can really see the difference. The difference in price between the two is about $200 though.

nice write-up Blitz, theres often questions on sway bar upgrades.
    The 3 main suppliers of reinforcement that i can think of are beaks, BSQ and ASR, heres the sites for all three so you guys that are interested can read up more info on it, also honda-tech has stacks of info on this topic if you wanna search it.

ASR - http://www.a-spec-racing.com/
    Beaks - http://beaksproducts.com/
    BSQ - http://www.geocities.com/bretq/mounting_kit.html and http://www.geocities.com/bretq/swaybar_install.html

I hope this info helps with the thread. Also, i think the reason the ASR is much better is because it is larger and longer. This allows the force to be spread across a larger distance, reducing risk of damage. I'm not 100% on this though so dont quote me on it

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    where would you buy ASR stuff ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    pm sent trip.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    From the USA.
    LowEK has got it i see
    I purchased it from the same place.
    People can PM me also if they need to know where to get it from.

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    yep yep what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Has anyone actually fitted the ASR reinforcement with the whiteline sway/tie bar combo? Just curious if it all actually fits???

Do you just remove the spacers that sit between the bar and the lca or do you keep the spacers?
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.