Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    has anyone put aftermarket springs on their dc2r?
    and if you have issert much better than the stocky in the categories of
    1.comfort?
    2.performace?

or didnt u notice much diff?

Cheers

hmm i think that if u want comfort stay stock
    and if u want performance go to coilovers..

i was running on H&R springs before
    and now my car is raised back to stock height.. imo .. dont bother with springs ..
    unless u only care about looks ..

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu R
    hmm i think that if u want comfort stay stock
    and if u want performance go to coilovers..

i was running on H&R springs before
    and now my car is raised back to stock height.. imo .. dont bother with springs ..
    unless u only care about looks ..
    coilovers are more expensive than a spring/shock combo and arent any better unless u plan to track it....and even then....

yup agreed... for a car which is MAINLY driven on the raod colovers are harsh and can fark up lots of stuff due to harsh rebounding and potholes... matched shock and spring MUCH better... i have spoon set up on my dc2R and ride is excellent.. tighter and lower and its definitely not just for looks...

Banned Array
    Integrilicious: If I was you I would save up and put coilovers on, its damn worth it. I have D2 Racing Coilovers (Track) and they are unbeliveble. The quality, performance and comfort or ride is like comparing a bike to a jet plane. The DC2R suspension is dumb and stupid compared with what I got. You can set everything up how you want, height, dampener stiffer/softer prety much the freedom for you.
    For example, if I put the dampener to the softest then compared to stock its actualy much softer, by about 20%. If you put it on the stiffest, then you got yourself a track car, so its extremely upto the driver to set up how he/she wants.
    Just changing the springs wont do much, maybe the "cool factor" it will but not much alse.

yup agreed... for a car which is MAINLY driven on the raod colovers are harsh and can fark up lots of stuff due to harsh rebounding and potholes... matched shock and spring MUCH better... i have spoon set up on my dc2R and ride is excellent.. tighter and lower and its definitely not just for looks...
    I disagree. when I was working @ jetspd, we installed tein coilovers in the jetspd wrx and took it for a good spin around the area. the ride was excellent.. firm, but not bone-jarring, stiff, or whatever u call it. One of the best rides I have been in. Most other jap ones like A'PEXi/HKS/Trust are mainly for track and yes, those are STIFF.

as others have said, if all u want is looks, go for springs. stay away from kings, they sag after a while and are generally shit. For those who want a good spring/shock combo but dun wanna fork out that much for coilovers, get something like tein (progressive rate) springs and koni shockers, which would perform much better than just springs, and be almost perfect for road conditions.

But as they say, u get what u pay for.. and I know I'll be saving up for tein coilover's as they can adjust the ride height as well

Banned Array
    "and I know I'll be saving up for tein coilover's as they can adjust the ride height as well" I thought any coilovers can adjust the ride height. The Tein coilovers all are noisly at the dampener. You can always hear the dampeners working even with an exhaust. And they cost so much too.
    I got my D2 Racing ones and they are awesome and came with a big warranty all up for about $2050.

Quote Originally Posted by cheebye
    I disagree. when I was working @ jetspd, we installed tein coilovers in the jetspd wrx and took it for a good spin around the area. the ride was excellent.. firm, but not bone-jarring, stiff, or whatever u call it. One of the best rides I have been in. Most other jap ones like A'PEXi/HKS/Trust are mainly for track and yes, those are STIFF.

as others have said, if all u want is looks, go for springs. stay away from kings, they sag after a while and are generally shit. For those who want a good spring/shock combo but dun wanna fork out that much for coilovers, get something like tein (progressive rate) springs and koni shockers, which would perform much better than just springs, and be almost perfect for road conditions.

But as they say, u get what u pay for.. and I know I'll be saving up for tein coilover's as they can adjust the ride height as well

Ok granted there are many types of coilovers within the coilover family and some generalisations were made for clarity and simplicity... but i think the person who asked the question needs to ride in a car with coilovers to see what he is getting... i personally love the trade off... the stiffer the better just for the few times you can really push the car... but others don't (back to that old bag)

if i could fork out the extra 1K at the time and paid for coilovers i would have and that's the simple truth but i justified my lower spend on not tracking my car at all which means in my mind i would make use of the coilover less...

i still love my spring/shock combo... and for a dc2R i have no problem keeping up with another dc2R with coilovers around twisties PLUS i don't want the hassle of constantly adjusting the settings...

Banned Array
    That guy is in Melb I think, so if he was interested in finding out the truth, I mean he can contact me and I can take him/her for a drive, so they can feel for themselves. Thats probably the best research you could do.

ditto... i got spoon shcoks and springs and you got coilovers... good research hehehehe

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    looks= springs+ shocks
    track= coilovers
    simple as that. I ride ITR shocks with king springs and for the street the ride is great no probs at all. Of course with coilovers with higher springrates you'll get the benefits of much more *planted* ride. but the tradeoff is driveability and honestly going through pot holes or shit roads on *true* coilovers whether on stiff or soft its shitass :P (talkin from experience)

Banned Array
    "looks= springs+ shocks
    track= coilovers"
    Thats a very dangerous thing to say Latino. I actualy have an ITR and I actualy have driven stock vs coilovers and coilovers win by far in all respects hands down. I can set up the shocks to the softest, which is softer than stock ITR suspension by about 20% for a fact. And if you want stiff as (track setup), just twist of a screw and 1 minute, and you got yourself a track car. Like I said its really upto what you want and with coilovers you can do whatever you want. Ofcource its bit more expencive but saving up and getting them, is totaly worth it.
    But it depends on what coilovers your talking about, and im comparing stock vs D2 Racing Track Coilovers.

Looks+Track+Comfort+Any ride height = Coilovers