Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    I was asked to take photos of this to help people who would prefer to have a flat and better looking boot. It isn't difficult to do and provides a good result. Spare cost me around $40, whilst for the boot floor I used MDF which couldn't have amounted to more that $15. I painted it cause I'm pedantic like that.

Too old for bodykits

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR250RR
    looks sweet as. im guna go look for a space saver tyre this week. thanks mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    looks pro

what was the width (mm) of the MDF u used in ur boot
    i need to replace the floor in my boot

Wow that's a great idea!
    Nice job

maybe a diy mate?
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    Ok, a DIY it is, one of the mods can move it if necessary.

1) Get MDF, I think mine is 6mm. The original thing was like thick cardboard, so i figured this was plenty.

2) Remove boot carpet, and trace it onto the MDF. The wood wasn't wide enough to go to the edges, but that doesn't matter.

3) Once traced, reduce either side approximately 5cm, so that the wood sits on the metal floor, and not on the plastic trim pieces in the boot. (I first cut it out the same size as the carpet, then tried to fit it in the boot, repeat doing this so that you make sure u get a good fit, and that you can actually fit it in! don't cut too much)

4)Test fit it, if you're happy with its size, try to approximate where the spare will sit under it. Trace the spare onto the MDF.

5) Cut out the circle you have drawn using a jigsaw, go a tad bigger to allow easy spare removal (I went a bit wonky). At this stage you can cut out a finger tab so u can get the cover off easily. I also drilled a hole so as to make a little latch (can be seen towards the back of the car)

6) Glue a piece of MDF underneath your new false floor, towards the front of the car (cant be seen, its under my sub box). This will ensure the round cover will go back on flush. It only needs to stick out a centimetre or so. Use an offcut.

7) Glue foam underneath any parts of the wood which will have direct contact with the metal boot floor. This will minimise squeaks and rubbing of the paint.

8 ) Paint if you like.

9) Put false floor back into boot, I cut mine so that it sat under a couple of trim pieces on either side, so there was no need to fix it down.

10) Put space saver spare in the boot, flip the conical bracket on the spare tyre screw over so that it holds it down, and tighten.

11) Put tyre circle cover in place. The little lip you glued in the front should hold it flat, whilst I found the rear of the cover rested at a perfect height on the spare. The latch prevented all this from moving. If u put in a latch, make it flat so it doesnt wear out your carpet.

12) Sit back and write a better DIY article than me! hehe

This was to be a temporary false floor, as I was fibreglassing my spare tyre well for a sub enclosure. Take your time and the false floor will look 10000 times better than mine.

It has lasted over 2 years and that is with me putting some heavy stuff on it, as well as me standing in there a few times (I like to stand in the boot). It has allowed me to safely stash all my emergency tools, a mini compressor, water, and cleaning gear under there too! If your sub box moves, you can glue on a strip of mdf to keep it in place. The bump left in front of the box will be barely visible.
    Too old for bodykits

very nice, ill be doing that now, since my original cardboard thingy is all snapped up n stuff, i havent botheres to put anything in, but now thats what ill be doin.

very nice mate, thanks for that
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    90 Integra LS
    i did mine, but i made a 3 piece, and all together it cost me 130 (inclusing space saver) because i brought fabric instead of painting it.

but yeh, either way is good, i would just find it easier to pull out the false floor in 3 pieces because tis lighter than trying to pull out one small bit for the tyre, and then one big bit for the rest of it.
    The Pain Of Discipline Is Far Less Than The Pain Of Regret

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Beat
    so your saying the three peices are side middle side
    so you only open up to access the wheel area
    prolly wouldnt be able to open it if it was full size

i was going to do that but instead i now got no spare no trims no carpet

Member Array
    Car:
    '91 Integra DA9
    Nooo this is wat he ment..