Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is the site where I found a few turbos

http://www.capa.com.au/turbo_kits_petrol.htm

I could be wrong but the Trust kit looks pretty complete to me. If not do tell me so I can reconsider. And would it be worth paying the extra for the HKS turbo without the extras? Cause im assuming that for the price it will still only be a garret turbo. Please correct me if im wrong I dont have a lot of experience, I leave that up to my partner but some outside advise never hurt anyone.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    For that price i dont think it includes the intercooler kit, better check that out. You will also need a bigger exhaust, not sure how good the dump pipe is either. The fuel management, if its the Blue Box, is total garbage, so you'll need an ECU and injectors at the very least. Also if you need a boost controller and guages factor them in. As well as a clutch, and perhaps some brake pads.

So yeh, the kits can get very expensive very quickly as well once you start adding bits on to them

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    There doesn't appear to be anything there for the DC5. The engine code you are looking for is the K20A, not the B18C.

That is why it has been suggested that you check out club RSX - the RSX is the DC5 and runs the K20 engine. The turbo kits offered by Cybernation are made for the K20 engine.

Thigs are bound to be a lot different between the B-series and K-series...just look in the engine bay of a DC5 and compare it to the DC2...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkprincess
    I never said it was too much, just shopping around to see whether people thought it was a good price. Im looking to spend $15,000 to $20,000 for mods etc. not including the price of the car obviously. I found a Trust turbo the other day for $5,000 of course thats not with fitting and tuning.

I dont need a car that totally blows everything away, i just dont want a car thats all show and no go because I think thats a waste. I do know what I want to do with it because I've been thinking about it for a while now. I posted to get this constructive critisism so I dont get bit on the butt somewhere along the line.
    Geez i wish i was on your wages just out of uni :shock: , i am on 50k+ a year and it is hard enough to afford my DC5R just in terms of loan repayments, running costs and general matainence (tyres, rego, insurance, servicing, etc) and here you are talking about buy a DC5R and then going and spending 20k on mods straight up :?

BTW DC5R's are quick straight from the factory, I would suggest staying N/A and just getting exhaust, intake, aftermarket computer and cams to start with.

Also if your 20k includes your paint job and wheels and suspension you would be down to 10k already without touching the engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 VBP DC5 TypeS
    Jus-10: i guess i was referring to modding Japanese cars in comparison to tunning a Honda..
    of course i know Euros cost heaps more to modify..

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    Hey I still think modding Jap cars can be expensive too don't get me wrong.

To do anything properly is gonna cost big $$$

I personally think that $15-20k isn't enough to do turbo, paint, wheels, etc unless you are doing a half-arsed job

Thanks guys but I didn't put the post up to get picked on. There is no need to question my salary, just know that its affordable for me. I have considered guages, exhaust, wheels, bigger intercooler etc etc. There are other factors that lower the costs for me like my father is a mechanic and i'm getting a nice set of wheels from my partner for cheap (enough to pay his debt on them). My personal money was not what I asked you all about, rather the quality of a couple of turbos and what yous have had experience with and what yous recommend. Can we please keep it to that.

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    Relax, no one's picking on you or your "money" geez....to be honest I doubt if anyone really even cares about your financial situation.

What people are saying is that it costs money (hence why money came up) to do all the things that you want to do. You said you have a budget of $15-20k and I think you will be pushing it for what you want to do.

A decent and reliable turbo set-up will probably cost somewhere around the $10,000 at least. A full respray (door jams, engine bay, etc) will probably cost anywhere from about $5-6k. A friend of mine got a custom set-up on his corolla 20V. His bill came to just under $15,000 and that didn't include an engine rebuild (pistons,etc).

You then have to take things like all unexpected incidentals in to account and from experience, when building cars, you very rarely stick to your initial budget.

No one is picking on anyone here. You asked for help, and people are giving you advice based on their experiences. The kits you are looking at aren't applicable to your car so you will need to look elsewhere (as mentioned before).

If you still don't like the advice being given, go and check out the leads you have already been given (eg. Cybernation)

Turbo wise, you will find that most are either Turbonetics, Garrett or IHI....don't expect BB turbos to last forever as they wear out relatively quickly (my mates wore out after less than 20,000km), but at least you can get rebuild kits.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    BB turbos should last longer than a standard bearing one if properly maintained...

Anyway for your specific situation i think that a custom setup is the only real way to go. You can get out of it for 10k and have a proper, reliable setup for the stock engine which will be a lot of fun to drive. The Garrett GT series of turbos are a good way to go. A GT28RS should be a good match for the engine.

Dont feel that the guys are picking on you, most of them are just trying to make sure you know what you are getting into (ie a huge money pit that we are all stuck in!!)

Newcomer Array
    To be the voice of reason Pink Princess and maybe to save you a lot of trouble. It may be easier to buy a car with a turbo straight out of the factory and mod that.

It seems to be too much hassle to mod a specifically N/A designed vehicle to a turbo application. Basically you are going against its true design principle, resulting in rebuilding a lot of stuff e.g. engine internals etc.

I think it would be financially viable for you to just purchase a stock turbo car off the showroom, or used. That way insurance would not be so crazy, cause the companies would kill you with their premiums. Also you can spend most of your budget on some performance applications to really go hard and cosmetic stuff. Generally to get turbo cars more efficient, just change the cat-back exhaust and a freer intake, also possible flash the ecu or something to get more boost and bang you can easily out perform a stock model.

To turbo any sort of N/A car is expensive to begin with, save yourself the hassle and buy one from the factory, that way you can really spend some serious cash on a freaky 'pink paint job

If I were turbocharging a DC5 I would definetly go with the Top Fuel kit from www.perfectrun.com.au

Top Fuel are the best Honda tuners in Japan and their cars speak for themselves. Have a look at www.topfuel.info

Good luck mate

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkprincess
    I'm looking at buying a DC5 and eventually turbcharging it. I've looked at AVO bolt on kits but at about $5600 plus fitting and tuning it doesnt leave much for the rest of my plans anyone recommend who i should go through in queensland to see bout a custom setup? would it work out cheaper that way? also would a stage 2 AVO setup be enough for low 13's - high 12's? (with slicks obviously) anyone run into 'many' headaches with turboing an integra?
    Careful...
    The connecting rods in the K20A are shitte...
    In that I mean they're not the most robust things you could hope for.
    Consider new rods & pistons to ensure reliability along with good engine management, fuel system etc...
    To be honest $5600 doesn't sound like a particularly comprehensive kit.
    Not saying don't do it, but be careful you don't build a grenade.
    Talk to people with actual experience rather than boffins...
    Remember, at the end of the day it's your wallet that get's lighter...
    Not theirs...
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au