Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    i want to lower my vtir.

can i just get springs? and get the car lowered an inch or two? or should i save and get a whole suspension system?

i have heard that getting only springs is ok, but shortens the life, and is not good for your shocks etc. is there any truth to that statement?

i dont drive hard and i dont take corners hard, or go OPing hard etc, so yeah, thats a bit of how i drive. maybe that will effect the life?

thanks!!!
    eric
    when do we hit vtec?

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    yea apparently just springs will shorten the life of your shocks but not by much i don't think...like as long as you don't lower it by a ridicoulous amount i think...i want to lower my civic about 30mm so just over 1 inch.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    aftermarket springs + stock shocks will shorten d life of d shocks.

U could do d springs first den the shocks if ur on a budget, but make the time difference of changing the stock shocks to aftermarket shocks 4-6 months.

My 2c :roll:

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    funny enough i've had two different answers from asking people about aftermarket springs and factory shocks...

they either say that the springs will kill the shocks really quick or it won't make a difference much at all...

Lowered springs with factory shocks will work but if you want to do it right then go the full suspension setup. I have super low springs on my Teg with standard shocks and the ride ain't that bad (that's with 18's too). The shocks are holding up well, but it's a Honda i guess. 8)

If you plan on keeping the car for a while do it right the first time.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by vti-2
    Lowered springs with factory shocks will work but if you want to do it right then go the full suspension setup. I have super low springs on my Teg with standard shocks and the ride ain't that bad (that's with 18's too). The shocks are holding up well, but it's a Honda i guess. 8)

If you plan on keeping the car for a while do it right the first time.
    How low is super low ? What springs do you use? Please advise. Thanks.

CWDC2ITR

my general rule of thumb is that 40mm or 1.5" is suffice for a lowering job without changing the dampers, but anything lower then that you will need new/shorter shocks. but believe me, lower your honda at least 2" because if u lower it at like 1.5", you will be kicking yourself asking why u didnt lower it any lower!
    u also have to take into account if u have bigger rims etc...this will determine how rough your ride will be!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by one more chance
    my general rule of thumb is that 40mm or 1.5" is suffice for a lowering job without changing the dampers, but anything lower then that you will need new/shorter shocks. but believe me, lower your honda at least 2" because if u lower it at like 1.5", you will be kicking yourself asking why u didnt lower it any lower!
    u also have to take into account if u have bigger rims etc...this will determine how rough your ride will be!
    hey dude may i ask why ur general rule of thumb is as stated? just that ive heard varying things from many ppl. most ppl have stated that its best of doing everything once off and properly (like im sure ud agree too), but i havent heard this "lowering up to 1.5" is ok without changing shocks" theory before. got any technical reasons to back it up? just interested.

jon

How low is super low ? What springs do you use? Please advise. Thanks.
    Superlows are between 2.5-3inch drop. The springs are King Superlows... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by joneblaze
    Quote Originally Posted by one more chance
    hey dude may i ask why ur general rule of thumb is as stated? just that ive heard varying things from many ppl. most ppl have stated that its best of doing everything once off and properly (like im sure ud agree too), but i havent heard this "lowering up to 1.5" is ok without changing shocks" theory before. got any technical reasons to back it up? just interested.

jon
    hey mate...

when lowering my DC2 i called numerous places before making the final decision to which path i would take. being young and naive i didn't want to spend too much money on a full suspension set-up, i just wanted a "fUlL sLaMmEd" car! many reputable workshops mentioned that generally 1.5" lower is ok, but not neccessarily advisable. They said that life span of my damper will be cut dramatically and that it will be a very rough ride, but they said you can get away with it! However, whether this is a good idea is another question! i lowered it with 1.5" lowered springers only....and i was happy for about 5 days, before i decided it had to go lower, i upgraded my shocks for yellow koni adjustables, and 2.5" lowered k-mac springs.......looked sooooooooo much better and handled 200 times better!

hope that helps!

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    so how much would shocks and springs cost for like 2"???
    how much did u spend....?

i ahve no idea about budget oor brands atm....
    thakns
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    MY02 WRX
    your best bet is to ring around a few shops and get the info directly from the shop rather than getting second hand info. Just a suggestion as prices are always changing, and certain products may be on special as such 8)