Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Lowering an accord with king springs

Hey guys, I'm lookin at getting some springs myself... friend of mine whos a mechanic says he can get some king springs fitted for around $350 ($200 parts).. is that a good price...

anyone got any good experiences from king springs? I'm lookin at only a drop of 1" to 1.5"... i went to the kings website and I found only the "low" catagory on the catalogue.. the model numbers are KHFL-60 (front) and KHRL-61 (back)... does anyone noe how much these drop...

Any comments on ride quality (important) appreciated... i'm lookin at keeping my old shocks (so wear and tear on shocks also important)

Also, i'm a suspension newbie can anyone tell me what exactly I have to watch out for, cuz the guy said the mechanic who does them just does them at his own place or somethin. Do I need a wheel alignment after... etc. If someone could outline the whole process for me it would be cool.

Cheers all for reading my long winded message!!
    Last edited by viperx; 22-08-2004 at 06:46 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    about $100 each end. i got kings on my 95 accord, it still sits high but looks nice, but they will sag to a good height over the next few months and $150 labour sounds about right, i work at a car yard and had the mechanics do mine for cheap - and yeah you will need a wheel alignemtn which i havent bothered to get yet

Member Array
    Car:
    96 JDM Legend 'Exclusive'
    I have Kings on my 94 accord and the front sits a bit higher than the back - usual I'm told for kings. There is a pic in one of my previous posts. They're a 30mm drop.

I'm currently saving hard for some new shocks and springs. Tokico Allumina shocks with 40-45mm Jamex lowering springs.

Raz (pm me for your graphic/web work - all money paid into my paypal account goes into my car fund - at a discount!! )
    Cars
    1996 KA9 JDM Honda Legend 'Exclusive'

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord 98 + BMW 328CI
    i've got my kings at home but just don't have time to install it...
    and yeh $150 is not expensive.. but ... make sure they do good job...

hum ...yeh

well how am i supposed to make sure they do a good job??

Well i'm willin to get my hands dirty... i'd do it myself if i had the gear... but thats up to the guy whether hes happy with it... if he's not are there any telltale signs of a bad job????

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Accord Vti-S
    if its a bad job, sumfin will usually stuff up... lol.

they say u need an alignment, but i didnt do one after i fitted my springs and its been fine as... meh i dunno.

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    viper, look at my previous post (Please help with my strut). Doing it your self might be alright, but you can also end up spending way more than $150!!!

You will need:
    Allen Key Set (Metric - NOT imperial! Trust me on this!)
    Min. 18" breaker bar
    1/2" Socket Set
    Spanners
    Trolley Jack
    JackStands
    Spring compressors
    Wheel braces etc
    Alot of luck (if anything breaks you'll need to replace it etc)

Looking back on it, i wish i'd just gone with the $200 which Tempe quoted me

As for signs of a bad job i think Sam on AccordTurbo.com had a problem where the strut wasnt put back together properly, and the shock ended up popping through and into his bonnet! But i'm not sure if you could spot that without taking a before and after photo of the strut top.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 JDM Legend 'Exclusive'
    Sorry dude, forgot to answer the rest of your questions:

I also have them with stock shocks. The ride is only slightly stiffer than stock, not much at all. So no problems there. Shocks show no signs of wearing out, they've been on for about 10 months.

The model numbers you listed are the exact same as mine, kings only have a low option, no superlows.

Raz
    Cars
    1996 KA9 JDM Honda Legend 'Exclusive'

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Oh, and if you do it too low, wheel alignment places will just laugh at you. The place i took it to had to put blocks undermy wheels to stop it ripping the sideskirts off as i drove it onto the alignment platform. In the end he didnt even fix the rears as i had 2.5 degrees of camber, and he said that there was no point trying to fix it without a camber kit

razaman u got a pic of ur car with the springs fitted?

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS300
    Hey dude, I have a set of Eibach progressive rate springs that I will wanna sell next week, after I get my coilovers installed.

In my opinion, it would be best if u saved for a bit longer to get sum shock sfitted also. When you ffit a set of lowered springs, the stock (soft) struts dont suit the aftermarket spring setup, and u end up with a ride that doesnt handle as good as it could. eg bumpy ride, struts bottoming out, eventually causing them to fail.....

But if you havent got much moolah, and want your ride to sit a lil lower with less body roll well just fit the springs. But if you have a set of 17 18's with expensive tyres, make sure you get an alignment after u fit them, and maybe even buy a camber kit so your tyres dont scrub out.

PM me know if you wanna buy the Eibachs off me, they are 2 years old with about 40000 kays use, roughly 1" drop, I paid about $400 I will sell em for 200

I'm only lookin at a 1" drop... i figured it shouldn't screw up the shocks that much... same loss of height as filling ur boot full of subs and amps i figure