Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries

Thoughts on the Type R

Somone I know on another forum posted the following a LONG time ago. I though it was a pretty nice 'mini-review' so I thought i'd post it up.

Originally posted by spectral
    Well, I've had the car for a nearly a week now, and some people here asked me to post my thoughts on it.

Firstly, the engine is simply awesome. It drives like a normal Civic around town with excellent fuel economy and decent torque. As you would expect, its a very free revving engine so gear change points in normal driving are around the 4000rpm mark. The Jekyll and Hyde nature of the engine is much more accessible in flowing twisty corners rather than city style streets and traffic. Main problem is that for the VTEC to alter the lift, you have to be doing 6000rpm, which in second, is around 80kmh which is getting a bit quick in a normal traffic situation. You find yourself hard on the brakes in no time because you go from that 6000rpm to 8500rpm in around a second (which is around 100kmh).

I've owned a SR20DET 180SX and the Type R is quicker if its in its powerband. The combination of 141kw and 1020kg is very nice. If you are not careful thou, that Nissan will beat you because you will have to change down to 2nd (or 3rd on the highway) to put the VTEC in.

Someone asked me if the VTEC felt like really bad turbo lag. Its not. The engine response is far better than any turbo I've ever driven.. but only if its in its powerband. If you were to just put your foot down in 3rd@60kmh, you would be left behind. You have to change your perception on how to drive a car. Jumping from a turbo car into the TypeR is weird. Turbos are very easy to drive, just stamp the pedal to the metal and off it goes. In a VTEC car you have to keep an eye on your speed and instantly know what gear to change into make the VTEC cut in. So in that respect, it requires a lot of driver skill to drive fast. This is what I'm enjoying the most in the car. Its a real challenge. The TypeR has the potential to beat a 200SX soundly, but it will require a great driver to do so.

The handling is just magic, I've never driven a FWD car with such an excellent turn in. This car will NOT understeer. Cornering quickly at 80kmh and hitting a small bump, you can feel the back starting to come around, but a snatch of opposite lock fixes that really quick. The key is never lifting off the throttle, if you do, you will spin. If this doesn't intimdate you, then the car will reward you with probably the best FWD chassis in the world.

So the negative points. Firstly, this is no luxury car. To shed weight, the windscreen is thinner glass and all soundproofing is removed. You hear every gearchange and every rock/pebble that is flicked up into the wheel wheels. The positive side of this is that you get to hear the scream of the engine at 8500rpm. All passengers I've had in the car that thought the engine sounded fantastic. Another negative is the suspension is pretty stiff, so the ride can be harsh sometimes depending on surface. But this is something I'm prepared to live with in exchange for the handling.

But in summary, its a fantastic car that will reward a good driver, but may disappoint a less enthustastic one. If you don't let that engine rev, then you are just driving another nice looking Japanese coupe. Abeit one with top notch handling.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Respect to Type-R's.
    I find it more satisfying to drive than a stock 200sx any day.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    nice review!!
    i strongly agree with him.
    but this "6000rpm to 8500rpm in around a second (which is around 100kmh)."
    hmmmz.... mine only goes up to 83kmh???
    its like 1st - 60Km shift to 2nd revs stays at 7000rpm, takes 1 sec to go up to 83Km @ 8400rpm. and then 3rd from 83Km to 130. revs drops to 6200rpm from 2nd to 3rd.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    Quote Originally Posted by XXpl0Sive
    Respect to Type-R's.
    I find it more satisfying to drive than a stock 200sx any day.
    man, when are ya gonna mod it??
    front mount, exhaust, boost controller, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump

went in my friends S14 on sunday, that thing does 210km/h in 4th gear! its got 275hp at the wheels

http://www.antilag.com/events/cruise_04/IMG_0515.JPG
    http://www.antilag.com/events/cruise_04/IMG_0538.JPG

and sorry about the OT reply
    Last edited by EG_2_TEG; 24-08-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG5 with JDM B16
    Quote Originally Posted by Da1nONLY
    hmmmz.... mine only goes up to 83kmh???
    its like 1st - 60Km shift to 2nd revs stays at 7000rpm, takes 1 sec to go up to 83Km @ 8400rpm. and then 3rd from 83Km to 130. revs drops to 6200rpm from 2nd to 3rd.
    in 2nd gear ?? even my VTi (SOHC VTEC) does just on 90 Km/Hr at redline in 2nd gear.. WTF ??

Newcomer Array

Cool

Short ratio gears

yeah when the car was stock (DC2R) it hit 90 in 1st?? hmmm maybe you haven't unleashed your cars true potential yet - revs are there to be used.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    it's a great car

we've been with each other for more than a year.. and she still puts a smile on my face

that sounded a bit cheezy

Member Array
    Great review!!!! I agree at times its a bit harsh and at times annoying to drive. Thats only in traffic though and city driving. Take it outta the city and unleash it and you will be rewarded. Ive had mine now for almost a year and love it!!! Went up to Sky High last night and gave it a great run up and down the mountain, it really is a drivers car as you need to concentrate on every move you make.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    JDM DC2 ITR
    nice write up...
    anyone know any ITR buyers guide floatin around??

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3-R
    Yes, Typa-R'ez r built for excitement (road/circuit)
    i drove my freind's stock dc5r & it felt dat it was stable & more in controll - but i wasnt pushin' his car 2 da limit coz it aint mine hehehe
    BBC/IC

btw...ive talked to a couple of my mates about this...and this is wat one of them reckons...

I read the post and what he is talking about when he is talking bout it being harder to shift a VTEC is when your already rolling. Im not too sure but I get the impression that the true meaning behind what he was saying is not that a more skilled driver to drive a VTEC but a driver of a VTEC car has to work harder to get the VTEC to the same level as a turbo car, especially in a rolling start.
    Moreover, its not valid to compare a 180sx which is outdated relative to a dc2r because the technology made for the overall performance of the dc2r will definetely be greater than the technology when the 180sx(early 1990's) is made. Also, the type R is tuned with racing technology (you could say track set up) whereas the 180sx its mildly tuned.
    I've had an experience when we were at the Runs (Drag races) where I was driving Adam's civic coupe and I raced an s15. It was pretty shocking cos I actually beat the s15 over 3 gears and he really gave it. I was able to do that with no skill, so in a way it shows that you don't need real skill to drive a VTEC its just a matter of shifting cleanly and at the right time. I know Adam's car has not the same performance as a dc2r/dc5r but ive driven that and experienced the power of the VTEC and i've driven a number of turbo cars (r33,r32, 180sx to name a few) and its a bit harder than just hammering down the pedal and shiftng in a turbo car to get performance out of it, timing of shifting is just as important in a turbo car as it is in a VTEC. The turbo and VTEC pretty much do around the same thing, they use different means of powergain (One uses aggressive cams whereas the other uses forced induction). Also with a turbo you dont just shift at any stage, u shift just like in a VTEC at redline, so just as in a honda in a turbo u are also looking at RPM alot to make sure u shift right before red line.
    Im no expert with cars but this is what i think.........
    so wat do u guys reckon? he has some good points there...