Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by DC5TYPER View Post
    There are many speakers out there that will do the job good. What area's you should be concentrating on are Amplification, Equalization and Sound Deadening.

No matter how great the speakers you buy are, if you don't get these 3 right, you'll have a average result.

If you concentrated on these 3 things and used a cheaper set of speakers, your result would be better then spending big bucks on top brand speakers.

Amps - 4 x 100W RMS minimum $350+
    Eq - Mid - High End Deck (eg Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood would do) $400+
    Sound Deadening - $200+

These 3 should take up $1K Easy.

Then with the remaining budget buy the best you can.

Hope this helps.

I have done the same thing with the Misses Civic 2001 Ep hatch. No sub but I have a lot of bass. No 6x9s Either. You should come check it out one time for a demo.
    I agree you should focus on getting a nice tunable Head Unit as well as sound deadening...however i remember the OP mentioned that he didn't want a subwoofer due to weight issues so sound deadening might also be out of the question.

Also a 4*100wRMS amplifier is far more than what is neccesary my Eclipse 4*75wRMS or a Rockford 4*60RMS would be more than sufficient. I run my amp on One Third gain and even then I never max out the head unit. 4*100 is very unnecessary in a street car.

Make sure the headunit you select allows multi (at the very least 5) graphic/parametic equilizers and preferably on seperate channels so you can tune the bass more precisely to the rear. Any Mid to High range Pioneer/Alpine/Eclipse will give you these options and more.

I love my Eclipse Amps...wouldn't hessitate to recommend them...however I do have a subwoofer so My 4chan isn't too heavily relied upon. If i were you I would definanlty be looking into a Rockford Fosgate...very well engineered (some may say overengineered) power rails/supplies and under-rated power output. Fantastic Units.

Ever considered having a subwoofer that joins to the amp via a L plug so when you want light weight you can remove it?
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 95 EG
    Many higher range speakers take 70-150w RMS.

4x100W RMS isnt to big. Im running 125W rms in Pioneers that rate at just below 100W rms. The less gain you use on your amp the better.

Its more personal taste. I always try to run nearly 1.5 - 2x the RMS rating. That extra juice comes in handy at short bursts of loud music and bass.

Also you'll find amps like RF and other American brands are listed at 4x60W, but make really 4 x 90W RMS.

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ny View Post
    I agree you should focus on getting a nice tunable Head Unit as well as sound deadening...however i remember the OP mentioned that he didn't want a subwoofer due to weight issues so sound deadening might also be out of the question.
    nah i think that was enternityz thread, not trung

anyway i was under the assumption that the 2k was solely for the speakers & amp, hence why i mentioned mb reference & premium..

am i assuming right trung?? or will that 2k include h.u, s.d'ing, wiring, installation, etc??

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    JDM DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by arverson View Post
    nah i think that was enternityz thread, not trung

anyway i was under the assumption that the 2k was solely for the speakers & amp, hence why i mentioned mb reference & premium..

am i assuming right trung?? or will that 2k include h.u, s.d'ing, wiring, installation, etc??
    Only looking for quality speakers and amp. H.u im gonna use my dvd unit which has inbuilt eq. sound deadening is also a no no.. makes my type r feel like a type s.

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    cool. just helpin to clarifying things

woops it WAS this thread...

without SD'ing you wont do your speakers any justice. doesnt make much sense to spend a bunch if you wont focus on install too. but its fine. maybe stick to reference then, or something of equal price.

did you give those places a call??

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by DC5TYPER View Post
    Many higher range speakers take 70-150w RMS.

4x100W RMS isnt to big. Im running 125W rms in Pioneers that rate at just below 100W rms. The less gain you use on your amp the better.

Its more personal taste. I always try to run nearly 1.5 - 2x the RMS rating. That extra juice comes in handy at short bursts of loud music and bass.

Also you'll find amps like RF and other American brands are listed at 4x60W, but make really 4 x 90W RMS.
    Yeah true. Thus why I mentioned they are under-rated power wise. Clarity-wise im not so sure.

If you were to get technical you would also want to compare peak power of both the speaker and amps otherwise running that sort of power will wear your voice coil and will cause speaker damage. Playing any loud speaker regardless of quality twice the wattage of what it is rated will shorten its lifespan and clarity during it's life dramatically. Unless of course you "Grandma Spec" the gain levels...which pretty much defeats the purpose unless your very tedious and precise with maximum THD levels at the output ratings.

100wRMS isnt much in the WHOLE InCarEntertainment world however for a daily driver who is just after nice sound with a little kick...it's not necessary. Unless you want SPL comp loudness not so much clarity.

P.S My MB Quart References are rated at ~110-120RMS I've got a amp 4*75wRMS 4chan Eclipse running into them and i would never attempt to push the gain over half. Useless levels of loudness in a vehicle and causes distortion just because of how difficult it is to get good even non-peaky flat response in a car...near impossible without redesigning every aspect of were the speakers are and their enclosure. Even then...the mid to high range would never be right as it would be like having a 1*1.5m home theatre room...

I spent $1500 on my two front home theatre speakers...and no car sound system I have ever heard has compared to them in terms of flat response and natural clarity. Power yes, but not clarity. Even though deep down I know car audio is a lost cause...I still manage to over spend on it xD ...so the lesson learnt here would be to listen to the above suggestion be more conservative on speakers yet put more effort into deadening and the install...if the weight bothers you...then put simply...you can't expect much.
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 14-11-2008 at 01:58 AM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    95 Integra GS-R Sedan
    diamond sounds pretty good did an install on a nsx turned out pretty good

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    jaycar response ftw hahahahaha
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2004 honda Euro
    If you want a nice small high powered amp (that doesn't weigh too much) then try an Alpine PDX4.100. They have oodles of power and will fit almost anywhere. Only problem with them is that you need a LOC.

If you really want to play with your sound then get a sound processor like the Rockford Fosgate 360 or something similar (you don't need an LOC then). They will set you back about $450 to $500.

I must agree with others on here, if you are not going to use sound deadening then you will not do your speakers justice. I fitted new Alpine Type X's to the front doors of my Euro and was very dissapointed with them at first. Then I sound deadened and they improved so much my wife accused me of buying more speakers.

I have just fitted Hertz gear to a car and for the money (price rises imminent) they are a great sounding speaker. 6.5 inch splits for the front $379 and 6x9 for the rear $379 (both HSK series) with 4 channel Hertz amp $399. This system sounds fantastic, but it does have sound deadening.

But most of all, go to a good car audio shop and talk to the pros. Have a listen to cars they have there and make your own decisions. There are so many great sounding speakers and it all comes down to personal taste.

Have Fun