Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DA9, DC2 VTi-R, CL09
    Quote Originally Posted by crunkman99 View Post
    ok, i barley get 400kms out of my tank, i think there might be something wrong?
    Try reset the ecu, check sparkplugs, change oil, etc....::search forum::

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro Luxury 09 Auto
    wow im getting like 500 kms minimum at usually 600-700kms per tank
    and i thought it was actually drinking petrol like a maniac

i noticed huge difference in distance i cud travel when i used 95 ron vortex as opposed to 98 shell vpower
    I accidentlly picked up the wrong handle and decided to keep going. i dont think u can stop halfway and then start using another fuel. if you could, and they only cahrge u for the second one, then lol i miteve just discovered something to exploit
    ホンダ・アコード ・ユーロ

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    Quote Originally Posted by furythree View Post
    wow im getting like 500 kms minimum at usually 600-700kms per tank
    and i thought it was actually drinking petrol like a maniac

i noticed huge difference in distance i cud travel when i used 95 ron vortex as opposed to 98 shell vpower
    I accidentlly picked up the wrong handle and decided to keep going. i dont think u can stop halfway and then start using another fuel. if you could, and they only cahrge u for the second one, then lol i miteve just discovered something to exploit
    You should get better mileage with better fuel cause your combustion is more powerful
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Toda - 127kW | Wakefield - 1:19.1 | WSID - 15.4

QUALITY K-SERIES AND CL9 EURO PARTS FOR SALE

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by integral90 View Post
    You should get better mileage with better fuel cause your combustion is more powerful
    If you are refering to 98RON resulting in a more powerful combuston than 95RON then your are mistaken.

In general terms... A lower octane rating petrol will produce a more powerful ignition than a higher octane *Due to additives/refining process not in direct relation to octane* ...Higher Octane petrols are designed to withstand greater levels of compression (both static and dynamic, eg. High Comp' Honda Engine or a Turbo Engine)... The greater ability a petrol has to pre-ignition due to compression/temperature the higher compression/boost theoretically can be run... Thus why 15:1 engines have to run on Alchol/AVGAS/Methanol... octane ratings moving from 98RON pump to the levels of these up to 110+...

However...the idea is... with a higher RON fuel the engines knock sensor etc. pick up and sense the smooth/complete combustion and advance timing which creates more power... but the petrol in general actually contains less "energy"... Also OEM ECU's are set to be conservative so the gains would be lucky to be measurable...

Personally I would use exactly what your car recommends as you will get a knock/ pre-ignition free operation and the most power/fuel efficiency...using RON that’s above what’s recommended usually doesn’t have any real advantages other than cleanliness...

Due to the fact Petrol companies market their higher RON fuels as their flagship...adding special additives/refining processes to ensure a cleaner combustion process...Making it difficult for one to choose a cheaper 95RON over a 98RON if they are picky about upper cylinder cleanliness...

Sorry if it seems like I’m picking on you integral90 (I’m not) but at this time of night (bored) my incessant need to post random knowledge gets the better of me lol XD Btw nice Euro Thread btw you wouldn't happen to know an average price (new/2nd) on the 5spoke Euro "Sports" Rims? I can't seem to find them anywhere...arggh...

* = Edit
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 07-03-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ny View Post
    If you are refering to 98RON resulting in a more powerful combuston than 95RON then your are mistaken.

In general terms... A lower octane rating petrol will produce a more powerful ignition than a higher octane...Higher Octane petrols are designed to withstand greater levels of compression (both static and dynamic, eg. High Comp' Honda Engine or a Turbo Engine)... The greater ability a petrol has to pre-ignition due to compression/temperature the higher compression/boost theoretically can be run... Thus why 15:1 engines have to run on Alchol/AVGAS/Methanol... octane ratings moving from 98RON pump to the levels of these up to 110+...

However...the idea is... with a higher RON fuel the engines knock sensor etc. pick up and sense the smooth/complete combustion and advance timing which creates more power... but the petrol in general actually contains less "energy"... Also OEM ECU's are set to be conservative so the gains would be lucky to be measurable...

Personally I would use exactly what your car recommends as you will get a knock/ pre-ignition free operation and the most power/fuel efficiency...using RON that’s above what’s recommended usually doesn’t have any real advantages other than cleanliness...

Due to the fact Petrol companies market their higher RON fuels as their flagship...adding special additives/refining processes to ensure a cleaner combustion process...Making it difficult for one to choose a cheaper 95RON over a 98RON if they are picky about upper cylinder cleanliness...

Sorry if it seems like I’m picking on you integral90 (I’m not) but at this time of night (bored) my incessant need to post random knowledge gets the better of me lol XD Btw nice Euro Thread btw you wouldn't happen to know an average price (new/2nd) on the 5spoke Euro "Sports" Rims? I can't seem to find them anywhere...arggh...
    But is it not the octane in fuel that combusts? So wouldn't logic say the more combustable content in the same amount would make a more powerful combustion?
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Octane rating does not mean the combustion rating of the petrol. Octane rating is the RESISTANCE to ignition, which is actually the opposite.

As to whether a higher octane fuel has less energy per liter, you cannot generalise. It depends on the composition of the fuel, not on the octane rating. However, higher octane rating fuel does make use of additives to increase the octane rating, and that is where the lower energy content comes from. But a petrol manufacturer can choose to use higher energy content components to compensate if they don't mind the higher cost.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Octane rating does not mean the combustion rating of the petrol. Octane rating is the RESISTANCE to ignition, which is actually the opposite.

As to whether a higher octane fuel has less energy per liter, you cannot generalise. It depends on the composition of the fuel, not on the octane rating. However, higher octane rating fuel does make use of additives to increase the octane rating, and that is where the lower energy content comes from. But a petrol manufacturer can choose to use higher energy content components to compensate if they don't mind the higher cost.

My point was more towards that just the use higher octane rating fuel does not make a powerful combustion. When Ive worked with engines without engine managment to componsate... (2-stroke/4-stroke) ive found that using a higher octane reduces power... regardless of brand of petrol.... It's best using the octane that the manufacturer recommends for best results. Although there isnt any direct relation between octane and energy however higher RON fuels whether its additives or not...do tend to produce less combustion energy... well in Australia anyway...my experience doesn't extend past that...

It goes hand in hand....in order to make a petrol higher octane usually there are additives/refining methods that are used that reduce its energy... I didn't mean to state a dependant relationship between Octane / Energy....they're independant but in most fuels...still holds true...

Quote Originally Posted by integral90 View Post
    But is it not the octane in fuel that combusts? So wouldn't logic say the more combustable content in the same amount would make a more powerful combustion?
    Octane isnt what makes a fuel combustable, as in my post it's what makes it less prone to pre-ignition. To determine octane rating it is measured with a relative amount of isooctane and n-heptane. So a fuel that has a RON of 95 would be equivilant to a mixture of 95% isooctane and 5% n-heptane.

Also the reason why American fuels have lower ratings isnt because they are poorer quality fuels, its because their octane ratings are an average between RON and MON. MON is "Motor Octane Rating" which measures the octane rating under load... Usually as a "general rule of thumb" these ratings are 10 less than the RON... American fuels are an average of both...usually meaning that their fuels ratings are about 5 less. So .... US93 ~= AU/EU 98.

However my point was, that in real performance terms the majority of companies use additives to make the fuel combust cleaner, reduce emissions and raise the octane rating instead of actually "cracking" the fuel at the higher Octane Rating...which in turn creates a petroleum with less energy...

As far as I know (from people on this forum and people in the industry) BP Ultimate is the only fuel in Australia that is cracked at "98-RON" one of those people that told me works for Mobil...lol
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 07-03-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 05
    ok you fuel people... bp ultimate or mobil 8000... i know its in another thread but you guys can have the last word

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_mongrel View Post
    ok you fuel people... bp ultimate or mobil 8000... i know its in another thread but you guys can have the last word
    I've heard from a number of sources that they're both good,also Vortex 98,but was told to stay away from Shell fuels.

Member Array
    Car:
    Eva
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    I've heard from a number of sources that they're both good,also Vortex 98,but was told to stay away from Shell fuels.
    I've found Shell is better for torque but not peak power. Caltex is pretty good and Mobil is the best all-rounder. But then again I'm insane and swear I can feel the difference in drag when the tyres are a few psi too low...

Foot note: ignore me
    CL9 Euro Luxury

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 05
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    yeah that's why i didn't mention the v power stuff...

lol it was just a silly question, all these forums are always trying to dis one or whatever. i don't think there's that much difference at the top, noticeably anyway for our cars...

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    performance might not feel much diff,
    and by using diff fuels you notice the engine revs slightly differently similiar to what you feel when you use old/black engine oil and do a complete oil change.
    but mileage makes a big difference.
    (overall in my car Mobil Syn 8000 lasts the longest;
    BP ult revs smoother;
    Caltex vortex 89 feels very average;
    Shell V power is sluggish and rough revs
    )
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9