Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch help

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000

Clutch help

Hi, I've posted this on S2ki, got some feed back, and now i'm looking for a local workshop to go to to get the clutch master cylinder reconditioned or replaced. Would any body be able to recommand a store? is Auto Brake Service (ABS) any good?

================================================== =======

Mine is a 2000 AP1, with 68,000km odo. Completely stock.

I'm not if this is an issue at all - because this is the first manual car I own.. and the only S2000.

1. Clutch Paddle feel. When I first bought the car, about 5 months ago, 3000kms ago, the clutch paddle felt smooth during operation, ie depressing the paddle and letting it go.

Recently, the paddle start to feel sticky/bitter. I don't know how to describe it better... Almost the feeling you get when you run your finger over a sqeeky clean plate, you get that gee gee gee stickion, ie not a smooth stroke. (felt something really needs to be greased up.. )

The clutch it self is not sticking, I can shift gear..

2. Clutch engagement point. My clutch engagement point is really high, nearly at the top of the paddle travel. The friction point is when I'm just about to fully release the clutch paddle, I only needed to depress the clutch paddle a little to be able to change gear and to engage gear.

Since I said the engagement point is really high - the amount of slip allowed in relation with the paddle travel is also very limited. Doesn't take much to fully engage and disengage.

The pressure/friction plates seems to grip well, ie not slipping when fully engaged.

------------------------------------------
    So I'm lost... Is my clutch gone? or is my master cylinder gone? What's wrong with it...

------------------------------------------
    If clutch is gone, should I go to Honda and buy Honda oem? or get a oem replacement from Exedy? (I don't mind a more durable clutch but then I don't want to spend unnecessary money.

If the master cylinder is worn, get it reconditioned or get it replaced? and what brand/oem?

-------------------------------------------
    From what I have heard, clutch can be really expensive to replace by workshops, would any one able to recommend a good workshop in Melbourne? (Good shop as in good workmanship, responsible and doesn't charge an arm/leg.

I'm pretty handy with tools, and do have a quite a collection of hand tools, thinking to do the job my self, but I don't have specialized clutch alignment tool. Do I need it?

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 Honda S2000
    CRS Automotive - mechanic there is a genius with hondas

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Sound interesting - kinda far though.....

Member Array
    Car:
    2003 Honda S2000
    yeh im from essendon, took me like an hour to get there but he knows his sh*t

Member Array
    Car:
    00 S2000 09 Audi S3
    High clutch engagement, is usually sign that the clutch is on its way. With 68000kms on the clock, this is not unusual.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    oh crap.....

I followed this to resolve the binding/shit feeling on the clutch pedal..

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=370792

Got under the car, err... is that oil on the slave cylinder bolt? or is it brake fluid... Unbolted the slave cylinder and remove the rubber boot, slash... OH SHIT.... the rubber boot was holding about 20~30ml of brake fluid... at this point... my wallet start hurting..... sigh....

1. Looks like the slave cylinder needs rebuild...

---------------------------------------
    While under the car, had a look at how to take off the clutch/gear box. Oh man... looks like i'll run out of space to drop the gear box..

The car is current on car stands.. and I was planning to use the hydrolic jack to lift the gear box... but I couldn't jack up the car high enough...

How do you guys remove the gear box in a "home styled" workshop?

2. Looks like I'll need to get a shop to fix the clutch for me..

---------------------------------------
    Since the clutch needs replacing... could someone give me a ball figure how much it is going to cost to replace the fly wheel to a lighter one as well?

Member Array
    Car:
    00 S2000 09 Audi S3
    1800 is the usual charge from Hannys or Top one for an OEM clutch change. Can be as high as 2500 from Honda.

Lightweight Flywheels are generally had for around 6-$700.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    oh......

Time to sell the car

OMG.... that's means my suspension mod money is gone...

Thanks MAD aka Ferrari for the feedback...
    Last edited by Uncle George; 16-03-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    You can get your clutch rebuilt by Race Brakes for about $600. As you weren't getting slippage your flywheel won't be stressed (inspection will confirm, look for cracks).

So, get a sander on your flywheel and replace the clutch yourself with a rebuilt one.

As you your slave and mastercylinder, have them rehoned and new seals and off you go.

New set up for less than a K.

S2Krazy Array
    or you can buy replacement slaves for like $300
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

ZEDZ BRAKE AND CLUTCH can resleve and reseal them to as good as new for 150 - 200 im gettin mine done too as its also leaking
    "HONDA ADVISES THAT YOU PLEASE REMAIN SEATED DURING THIS FLIGHT, AS UN EXPECTED VVVVVVTEC!!! MAY CAUSE INJURY"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Thanks,

I've rang ZEDZ and ABS asking for a ball part figure how much it would cost.

A simple horn and seal would be $80, but if the wall is scatched that will need resleave, which will be $160 around there.

I need the car back together this weekend... so next week it is.

--------
    In the mean time I'll study up on how to drop the gearbox and clutch...
    --------

Thank you all very much for the help.

To be continued...