Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CRX Del Sol

Help!! b16a starting problems

hi guys I need help diagnosing a problem with my 96 crx. It will not start it cranks over, has spark, and compression on engine is perfect. The problem is there is no fuel when i turn the car to ON the fuel pump does not prime at all and when i crank the car the EFI relay crackles and sounds like it's arching, When it works this doesn't happen.
    The relay clicks a couple of times like it normally should and everything, but the fuel pump still doesn't prime still. I have tried a working relay out of my freinds crx and we still get the exact same problem, so it isn't the relay itself. it has done it a few times before.
    Sometimes it wont start and then it will start again 10 minutes later or hours later or days later. it's now been a couple of days and it's driving me nuts. I hope you guys can maybe help me figuire out what is going on, I'm sure someone on here must have
    some knowledge or experience with this sorta problem.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated guys.

Thanks, Tim.
    Last edited by B005HA; 02-05-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    check the pump is earthed correctly & try running the pump briefly from direct power also to see if it is working
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX Del Sol
    ok so i did that LIMBO (thanks ) and now the fuel pump is priming, there is fuel pressure and i'm pretty sure the injectors are pulsing. There is also spark on the leads and the plugs are sparking. I don't know what else to check. Like i said the car cranks over but is doesn't fire. And when it does decide to work it just starts up with out a trouble in the world which it did this morning so i let it run for half an hour turned it off tried to turn it on 10 minutes later and it doesn't start again, same thing starter motor cranks but the car wont fire.
    I'm sure there are some tech heads out there who can help me please. LOL this is driving me nuts

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Using test light: check for power to the pump when ignition is turned on.
    If there is no power: check power at output side of relay.
    If there is no power at the relay output: check power to the relay (input).
    If there is no power getting to the relay - possible ECU output issue.

Check out your main relay too - there's a DIY here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31796

Don't forget to check earthing side of circuit for your fuel pump as well as positive!

Let us know how you go.
    FN2R

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    crx
    Hi im B005HA's [OP] mate chris..

The problem is still occuring. Originally we thought it could be a faulty main relay but we swapped the one out of my CRX and still had the same problem.

The difficulty we are having is that when the car starts it runs fine and there is no way to identify the problem. But when it doesnt start well there is no way to diagnose whats going on..
    Im convinced its either an ecu output or intermittant relay issue but boosha has been convinced otherwise after reading the forum and testing the parts.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The car has been off the road for 3 months now [boosh lost his licence anyway] but we would like to fix it soon. I havent really looked at it for a while but i think ill put a day into it in a week or so and would be appreciative of any further direction

Cheers,
    Chris

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Im not sure if this is entirely related.

But have you guys checked your air input?
    As in, are your idle controls working? Take your intake off and observe the position of the throttle body butterfly. It should be partly opened.
    Crank the engine and observe how the throttle butterfly behaves.

Just thought id give an input. Seeing as you have fuel, compression and spark.
    Also give us an insight of how this started happening.

Quote Originally Posted by OMG.JAI xD View Post
    Im not sure if this is entirely related.

But have you guys checked your air input?
    As in, are your idle controls working? Take your intake off and observe the position of the throttle body butterfly. It should be partly opened.
    Crank the engine and observe how the throttle butterfly behaves.

Just thought id give an input. Seeing as you have fuel, compression and spark.
    Also give us an insight of how this started happening.
    what you've suggested has nothing relating to the problem at hand.

A few going onto more than a few of your "trying to be helpful posts" have a lot of wrong & misleading information. please only post if you're sure. doing what you've suggested will only achieve lost time for no good reason. From memory, you've posted a lot of wrong information in the past.

In the case of the OP, you're in a very bad situation here, as you've said, its very hard to diagnose an intermittent problem. My suggestion is to keep doing what you've been doing and thats to keep testing relevant systems...... loose wires, loose grounding, faulty relays, etc.

wish you good luck, I sure as hell would hate to be dealing with that sort of problem. not that I haven't dealt with it b4

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3 Integra
    start with the basics and work backwards. in the case where there's an unknown factor causing the problem, a process of deduction is your only choice. the basics are fuel, spark, compression and timing.

spark and compression are confirmed. to be sure, check your distributor cap for damage or cracks.

Timing can be easily ruled out by confirming TDC against the crank and camgears. rule that out first.

If you can confirm that your timing is accurate, then your problem must be with fuel delivery. test injectors as per the FSM to ensure that the electrics are right, and that the injectors are pulsing. buy/borrow a fuel pressure gauge, ensure that fuel pressure is accurate and constant throughout ignition. then in the case that it doesn't start, check the fuel pressure again. this will rule out the fuel pump if pressure is constant regardless of whether the car starts or not.

i guess one place that you need to start would be asking the question: "why did it stop running in the first place?" did you do anything inparticular? (mods, accident, service, upgrade, time, exposure to elements etc). rarely is the case that the car is a driven daily, and you park it overnight, and the next morning, it just doesn't start.
    Last edited by qikteg; 12-08-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    You never go ass to mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by qikteg View Post
    start with the basics and work backwards. in the case where there's an unknown factor causing the problem, a process of deduction is your only choice. the basics are fuel, spark, compression and timing.

spark and compression are confirmed. to be sure, check your distributor cap for damage or cracks.

Timing can be easily ruled out by confirming TDC against the crank and camgears. rule that out first.

If you can confirm that your timing is accurate, then your problem must be with fuel delivery. test injectors as per the FSM to ensure that the electrics are right, and that the injectors are pulsing. buy/borrow a fuel pressure gauge, ensure that fuel pressure is accurate and constant throughout ignition. then in the case that it doesn't start, check the fuel pressure again. this will rule out the fuel pump if pressure is constant regardless of whether the car starts or not.

i guess one place that you need to start would be asking the question: "why did it stop running in the first place?" did you do anything inparticular? (mods, accident, service, upgrade, time, exposure to elements etc). rarely is the case that the car is a driven daily, and you park it overnight, and the next morning, it just doesn't start.
    his problem is intermittent.

so one thing that checks out ok can become faulty the next day, very difficult.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    his problem is intermittent.

so one thing that checks out ok can become faulty the next day, very difficult.
    hmm, misinterpretted the OP. thought he meant that it gradually started not working, to the point that its not working at all.

but still, there's only a few factors that would intermittently fail. like a fuel pump, or a relay or spark. maybe you should start replacing some components to see whether that illicits any change.

i still think that monitoring fuel pressure is still the best test you can do now, because it will determine a few different factors.

for example, you will have a positive fuel pressure reading when the engine is working. (by positive, i mean within specs)

If you have a positive fuel pressure reading when it doesn't work, then you can rule out your fuel pump/main relay as the issue. investigate spark.

If you have a negative fuel pressure reading when it doesn't work, then you know you need to investigate the fuel pump/main relay. this doesn't rule out spark as a potential issue, but you know that you need to investigate the fuel systems at a minimum anyway.
    You never go ass to mouth!

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    Check your coil and ICM for a corroded terminal/faulty wire/faulty unit. I had the same problem last month. Started out as intermittent and then just wouldn't start all together. Replaced the igniter and car works fine now.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    ok here's another though, try another ECU. I had one ECU which did something stupid like this once. Worked sometimes and then it didnt.

See if you can borrow one from somewhere to test. So long as its the right OBD it will still start without any issues
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION