Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Exclamation FITV! You Have Cleaned the IACV BUT Your Idle Is Still High/Erratic? Adjust The FITV.

Most cars have an FITV and this will need to be adjusted to fix your high/erratic idle.So you firstly need to find out if your engine has an FITV.If it does,here's what to do.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:

To get the bloody car to idle/run properly!

Required:

* Screwdrivers
    * A small mirror

Steps:

NOTE: The FITV/Throttle body needs to be fitted onto the engine do this,there is no need to remove the FITV or Throttle body.It needs to be on there so you can make the adjustment while the engine is running,therefore you know where is good.If it is removed you wont know!

That makes this SIMPLE

This is being performed on a d16y4 and it is Sooooo Easy!

Firstly,locate the FITV.It will be on the Throttle body.On mine it's part of the IACV on the bottom of the throttle body:

Remove the cover to expose the inside:

Use a small mirror to see in there:

Start the car and simply move that little part pictured above.Simply move it left or right with a screwdriver until the idle is fine or there abouts:

Note: All FITV's will vary in design but the principle is exactly the same.Get a mirror,look in there,you may just need to stick a flathead screwdriver in there and turn it like a screw,TOO EASY

Fine adjustments can then be made via the idle/air adjust screw:

Get it as close as possible but don't worry too much,once you have reset the ECU,this will be fixed!

Reset The ECU and Your Done!

Now,if you have a timing light,just check to see the timing hasn't moved,it shouldn't have but,well,you know cars...worth checking.

Adjusting Ignition Timing

Other comments:

A blockage in the IACV coolant hoses can sometimes cause this too Link

Now,you just need to Calibrate the Voltage on the Tps Sensor and your car will be SCREAMIN'!

Thanks to ME! for being strong willed/patient and sticking through ALL my car troubles in an effort to understand my throttle body issues and being successful!
    Last edited by beeza; 18-02-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Can adjusting the FITV affect the timing position?

Member Array
    Car:
    K24 EG
    Hey do you know if this fixes extremely low revs on idle also??

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    It could but it's more for surging problems.

Have U wound out the idle screw?

The IACV maybe clogged up..

It wouldn't hurt to calibrate the tps also Link

Some Suburu upper engine cleaner will be good too.