Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bugger this! I just rang Honda at Blacktown, $71.80 for 5 Litres, I think we should organise a group buy through someone who works at Honda, $55 would be much better
    Even not on special the Castrol Edge is cheaper
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    Horse and cart
    Wonder why there is such desparity in price between dealers.......they must be able to charge wat they please......

Actually the spare parts dept quoted me $33 a few days earlier......sevice dept charged me $54 ......go figure

Im in a large regional town so u would think that would mean higher prices than city......go figure no.2

Quote Originally Posted by Baboy View Post
    Wonder why there is such desparity in price between dealers.......they must be able to charge wat they please......

Actually the spare parts dept quoted me $33 a few days earlier......sevice dept charged me $54 ......go figure

Im in a large regional town so u would think that would mean higher prices than city......go figure no.2

Some parts centres will give you a cheap price if you buy some stuff frequently..Went to ask for a a PCV valve from a Honda parts centre recently, $62 WTF?
    Went to another centre, bought some oil/filters, got a small discount + managed to get a pcv valve for $30...

But anyways, my car is fine with Edge 5w30 so I will stay with it for now.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic coupe vti
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDCORE View Post
    As has been previously discussed...

The only question is if as Ben said the other day.... the "normal" FEO is indeed the same as Caltex oil that is sold as Calibre branded oil. Is there a Calibre branded full synth oil on the shelves of Supercrap?
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...222318#details

I did my car 2 weekends ago, I found the engine much smoother now, and fuel economy did seem to be better, but I must admit the first thing I did was around 250klms of freeway driving. I will be using this from now on, If I do get to do some track work I might change, but I think even for just a reasonable track day this would be OK (I am not into redlining all day) My only downside is the $71 for 5 litres, shame it's not a little cheaper
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i rem a while back that in Japan they use honda oil but it is full synthethic.
    I believe its just the jap spec stuff.
    Caltex has been making all the oils for honda ever since it released its oil.

Also the Calibre brand now also have full synthetic also, i'm wondering if they are the same.....
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Nope, they're not the same, as stated before it's formulated by honda, but packaged by caltex. I'd say it's just made in the caltex factory but it IS honda's design. I even asked honda about it when I bought it, and they said the same thing.

Also about the calibre stuff, I work at supercheap and I can assure you that all of Calibre's products are just repackaged and rebadged, same sort of scheme as DRIFT (autobarn). The oil is just the normal types of caltex stuff.

Here's a list of the brands Calibre use:

Oil: Caltex
    Tools: Stanley
    Boss Kits: Autotechnica
    Bulbs: Narva
    Guages and Air Filters are the same as DRIFT (not sure what brand DRIFT use)
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

I find it kinda interesting that none of the Honda oils are API certified...well, they dont seem to bear the API certification stamp...?

How does this compare with Mobil1 0W-40 (Gold packaging).

The last oil change was using Honda's semi synthetic 10W-40. I'm planning on using Mobil1. But if this stuff is as good as Mobil1, then I can give it a shot. As long as my honda dealer dont try and screw me over in price (quoted $22.40 for an oil filter!)

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    How does this compare with Mobil1 0W-40 (Gold packaging).

The last oil change was using Honda's semi synthetic 10W-40. I'm planning on using Mobil1. But if this stuff is as good as Mobil1, then I can give it a shot. As long as my honda dealer dont try and screw me over in price (quoted $22.40 for an oil filter!)
    Gold Mobil 1 is the European formula, group 4 synthetic, I have M1 0w-40 in my engine now, it doesn't rev as freely as the M1 Extended performance (5w-30) I had before.
    This Honda FEO ultra is 5w-30, group 3 synthetic (cheaper base oil). If it's Caltex base oil then it would be the same base oil used in Penrite/SCA Calibre etc.

I think FEO should be quite a bit cheaper (I hope), because the M1 gold is like $90 odd dollars at Supercheap et al.

For alternatives, there is a Melbourne based mob and they got Royal Purple full synthetic for $14 a quart, or a Sydney mob that sells M1 Extended Performance for $70/6 quarts (or approx 5.6ltr's)
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Slightly off topic, but whats the real difference between the 10W-40 vs something like 0W-40 or 5W-30.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    The viscosity. Basically the thickness of the oil when it's hot and cold. Some engines require more protection and so need the higher numbers. Usually diesel engines and old engines. 5w-30 would be the one I'ld go, since it's "thinner" it'll creates less friction internally, so you get more power and better fuel economy... in theory. 0w is too thin imo.