Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 CU2 Lux MT

Thumbs up [CU2] Accord Euro - Digital Signal Processor upgrade

Hi All,

On a recent thread I described, with a few pics, how I had performed a Focal speaker and Amplifier upgrade on my CU2 Lux. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...peaker-upgrade

Despite the Focal system offering a significant improvement to the overall performance of the standard system, I still found that the quality of the sound just was not what I was looking for. The problem seemed to be in the equalisation curve used in the factory Head Unit/Amplifier combination. Mid-Range and Treble seemed really over done and harsh, whilst there was a real lack of decent bass. The result being that as soon as the volume got up a bit it became really 'loud' with the mid-range, and particularly vocals seeming to be way louder that other components of the music.

Anyway, after a lot of listening to various types of music, and a lot of research, I realised that the only way to get real quality sound out of the system was to insert a Digital Signal Processor into the mix. For this purpose I chose a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 This seemed to have the best overall flexibility and tuning capabilities.

So, installing the 3Sixty was easy as I had already done all the hard work. I kept the PAC SOEM4 transformer based LOC as it provided excellent isolation and high quality RCA outputs. This provided 4 input channels to the 3Sixty and then the RCA outputs from the 3Sixty straight to the Focal Solid4 amplifier. At this time I have not used the 'Center' or 'Sub' channels on the 3Sixty, leaving the original factory sub and center speakers connected to the factory Panasonic amplifier.

The results are nothing short of astonishing! The 3Sixty setup procedure for OEM installs goes through a process of measuring the existing EQ from the factory system. It then attempts to set up a 'flat' EQ as a starting point for your own tuning. The Honda (Panasonic) system has an absolutely dreadful EQ curve as standard, with very little bass going to the Front or Rear, an elevated Mid-Range and and astronomic upper Mid-Range and Highs. No wonder the system sounded so bright and harsh!

After some initial tuning where I used the display of the factory EQ curve as a guide to where I needed to add, or subtract, I have been able to completely change the character of the sound in the car. It now has warmth and some real Bass, delivered by the Focal 165VR's in the doors, rather than the factory sub-woofer! I have been able to switch the Focal tweeters back to 0db, whereas previously I was running them with the maximum attenuation that the crossover allowed. The tweeters now provide detail and quality, without any of the nasty harshness that the standard system introduced. Still some fiddling to go I suspect with regard to the tuning. No doubt this will be an on-going, endless pusuit for perfection :-) But what a fabulous start!

All in all this has been a revelation. An expensive exercise certainly, but worth every cent. I can highly recommend the RF 3Sixty.2 if you need to 'fix' the EQ of your own sound system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D300_20100911_0001..jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	16010
    The RF 3Sixty.2 documentation, CD and a Dell X51 PDA to run the Windows Mobile version of the software. I chose to use a PDA as I don't have a laptop. However RF do have a Windows PC version of this software for use on laptops. I find the PDA pretty handy though as it is very easy to manage inside the car, although setting the 31 band equaliser on such a small screen can be challenging!

Name:	D300_20100911_0004..jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	16011
    The 3Sixty.2 installed and ready to go. Checkout the maze of cabiling! It turned out pretty neat however.

Name:	D300_20100911_0005..jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	16012
    The 'Front' EQ curve comparison. The red line is the factory EQ, the blue line is the 3Sixty's attempt to get a flat reponse curve. See on the red curve how there is a noticable gain in the lower mid-range with bugger all bass and bucket loads of gain at the top end. I did not use the 3Sixty's attempt at a 'flat' EQ, instead I created my own curve, boosting the bass and attenuating the mid-range and top end in order to compensate for the factory systems dreadful EQ.

Name:	D300_20100911_0006..jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	16013
    The 'Rear' EQ curve comparison. This is even worse than the front. Although in Honda's defence I guess they set the rear up for fill only. Same gain in the mid-range with bags of high treble.

Name:	D300_20100911_0008..jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	16014
    Finally the completed installation with trim etc in place. Only the very top of the 3Sixty is visible, and it sits behind the trim without any struggle. (Would not want to be any bigger though!)

Cheers, hope some of you may find this interesting or even useful.

PS: The Focal Polyglass range of speakers provide an oustanding value for money basis for the upgrade of our Honda based systems. I can't speak highly enough of their quality and performance!
    Last edited by JustRight; 27-09-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Additional detail.
    2011 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    ahhh the joys of testing & tuning.. if you're serious about it then get ready for more constant tweaking over the months while your speakers loosen up/break-in

did you do some more tuning or leave it at the blue line? the blue line still has some peaks/troughs.. most noticably at around 150ish hz, 400ish hz & still a MAJOR peak in the higher treble

some general tuning advice, when i tune i aim for a moderate rise in dB from 20 hz up to around 200 hz, then go flat from there up to about 8 khz, then have a gradual drop in dB from 8 khz to 20 khz

that blue line that rises dramatically in the higher treble, should be goin down.. not up! i wouldnt be surprised if it still sounds bright/harsh to ya..

hope that helps
    /////ALPINE - )))morel - dYnaudio - \\Image Dynamics// - audison - optima - co|\|ection audison - stinger - Dynamat

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Nice!!!

Man, I wish I had more cash........
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 CU2 Lux MT
    Quote Originally Posted by arverson View Post
    ahhh the joys of testing & tuning.. if you're serious about it then get ready for more constant tweaking over the months while your speakers loosen up/break-in

did you do some more tuning or leave it at the blue line? the blue line still has some peaks/troughs.. most noticably at around 150ish hz, 400ish hz & still a MAJOR peak in the higher treble

some general tuning advice, when i tune i aim for a moderate rise in dB from 20 hz up to around 200 hz, then go flat from there up to about 8 khz, then have a gradual drop in dB from 8 khz to 20 khz

that blue line that rises dramatically in the higher treble, should be goin down.. not up! i wouldnt be surprised if it still sounds bright/harsh to ya..

hope that helps
    You're right, the 3Sixty's attempt at a 'flat' line was a bit of a joke. I don't think the DSP had enough adjustment to cater for the outrageous amount of db that the factory system added at the top end. I have spent a couple of hours playing with it, and the curve I have got at the moment is very close to what you just described! I go a bit negative through the mid-range at around 4k to 5k and then pretty much flat up to 20k. The negative in the mid-range helps offset the factory EQ in that area.

Still more playing to do, but an amazing improvement so far.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JustRight; 14-09-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typos

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 CU2 Lux MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive View Post
    Nice!!!

Man, I wish I had more cash........
    Yah, these things are NOT inexpensive thats for sure!

It is possible to buy them on-line from the USA for a lot less $$$, but Rockford only have two 'Authorised' on-line resellers, and the cost there is only slightly less than the quoted RRP. Therefore I decided that the cost of buying one locally, and getting the full Rockford supported warranty was worth it for a device of this complexity.

Cheers.

Good work there. I've been through the same, used the JL Audio Cleansweep as a DSP, but was still not satisfied. This is my end result:

More images of my setup at: http://www.teamaccord.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=256

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 CU2 Lux MT
    Yikes! Replaced the entire Head Unit assembly.

Well done.

Member Array
    Car:
    BRZ
    thats awesome!

not sure if this has anything to do with it. but my question might be a little off.

How would you im[prove your reception for radio?
    i have those fm tramsmitter thingos. Griffin itrip. and because our antennas at the back glass. it doesnt work that well..
    know how to make it better? is there a wire i can tap into? ( since you openned up the back before.)
    civic is civic backwards
    Green Machine is gone

Quote Originally Posted by greg6510 View Post
    Good work there. I've been through the same, used the JL Audio Cleansweep as a DSP, but was still not satisfied. This is my end result:

More images of my setup at: http://www.teamaccord.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=256
    Hello, iv come accross your modification and noticed you replaced the OME head unit I want to do the same but not sure about the climate control.. Dose it still work / show information Eg. Fan speed, temperature Etc.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by j3rom3 View Post
    Hello, iv come accross your modification and noticed you replaced the OME head unit I want to do the same but not sure about the climate control.. Dose it still work / show information Eg. Fan speed, temperature Etc.

Thank you
    I'm keen to know too as my missus asked about replacing Head Unit recently. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by minhdung1911 View Post
    I'm keen to know too as my missus asked about replacing Head Unit recently. Thank you!
    I'm taking a chance and will be replacing it within the next week sometime ill let you know what the results are.

Quote Originally Posted by j3rom3 View Post
    I'm taking a chance and will be replacing it within the next week sometime ill let you know what the results are.
    Yes, please let me know how you go with it :-). Thank you.