Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

70,000km euro service just completed

Hi guys,

I purchased my accord a few months ago and just got it's 70,000km service at courtney and patterson heidelberg.

For all my previous cars i've taken it to my local mechanic but i thought what the hell i'll get it serviced at by a honda dealer. Some of you will disagree, but in my opinion you can't beat a dealer who services the same cars day in day out.

I rang them up and asked them how much it would be and they said about $250 plus about $30 more for FEO synthetic oil so i thought that was reasonable. When i dropped it off i told them not too change anything without checking with me first.

I got a call from them later and the rear brake pads needed to be changed, i was quoted $290 fitted which does not include machined disks which i thought was a bit rich. They said they don't machine them, i found this odd, does anyone know why?

Anyway, approx breakdown was this for anyone interested:

Labour for service: $126
    Labour for rear pad change: $105
    Rear break pads: $163
    FEO sythetic: $63
    Oil filter: $23
    Washer drain: $2.60
    Workshop and environmental charges: $15

I thought $63 for the synthetic was not bad, plus they gave me the 5L bottle with the left over oil without me even asking.

They said the 80,000km major service was about $500ish.

Hope someone finds this useful
    Last edited by adamc11; 11-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD 1 2006 VTIL
    wow, is 80,000 the major service for euros? thats pretty cheap, does that include timing belt? or is that done at 100,000?

what year is your Euro? just trying to figure out whats the best amount of kms a euro should have when buying second hand,

Right before a major service or after or 20,000 before

Quote Originally Posted by simonhaha View Post
    wow, is 80,000 the major service for euros? thats pretty cheap, does that include timing belt? or is that done at 100,000?
    The euros don't have timing belts they have a chain which doesn't need to be changed. If it did they would charge about $1500-2000, honda quoted me around that for my 200,000km service on my 98 accord!

The 80,000km is a lot of fluid changes i think and fuel filter change, it's nothing major like a belt change.

what year is your Euro? just trying to figure out whats the best amount of kms a euro should have when buying second hand

Right before a major service or after or 20,000 before
    My euro is a 2005 luxury 6 speed manual.

My missus drives the euro and she probably clocks up about 15,000kms a year, so getting something with 20,000kms before a major service is worth it for me as it means i'll get another year out of the car before i come to sell it, which is usually when i'm sick of it or when it has about 140-160,000 kms on the clock. Actually i'm hoping to get rid of it in a few years so it will have about 120,000 on the clock which makes it easier to sell. So it's really up to you, i'd be going for one with the lower kms.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Euro, S15
    Quote Originally Posted by adamc11 View Post
    Hi guys,

I purchased my accord a few months ago and just got it's 70,000km service at courtney and patterson heidelberg.

For all my previous cars i've taken it to my local mechanic but i thought what the hell i'll get it serviced at by a honda dealer. Some of you will disagree, but in my opinion you can't beat a dealer who services the same cars day in day out.

I rang them up and asked them how much it would be and they said about $250 plus about $30 more for FEO synthetic oil so i thought that was reasonable. When i dropped it off i told them not too change anything without checking with me first.

I got a call from them later and the rear brake pads needed to be changed, i was quoted $290 fitted which does not include machined disks which i thought was a bit rich. They said they don't machine them, i found this odd, does anyone know why?

Anyway, approx breakdown was this for anyone interested:

Labour for service: $126
    Labour for rear pad change: $105
    Rear break pads: $163
    FEO sythetic: $63
    Washer drain: $2.60
    Workshop and environmental charges: $15

I thought $63 for the synthetic was not bad, plus they gave me the 5L bottle with the left over oil without me even asking.

They said the 80,000km major service was about $500ish.

Hope someone finds this useful
    So 500 all up.

But if you DIY, which is not hard at all, you would pay 80 for pads and 59 for oil and filter (on special at repco)= 139. Take the 361 dollars that you saved and buy more tools for your garage.
    What is popular is not always right. What is right is not always popular.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    For the cost of the servicing, the price is typical. However, half of the bill went to your rear brake pads. If you are into DIY and are mechanically competent, then you can do it yourself without much fuss. All you need is your standard socket set, jack, jackstands and the rear brake piston tool to turn and push back in at the same time, but that is cheap at Supercheapauto.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

I understand what you guys are saying it wouldn't be hard to change the pads. The only thing with brakes is what if you need the discs machined, i guess you would have to take it to a mechanic to do? Do you need a toque wrench when bolting the discs back on?

Quote Originally Posted by adis View Post
    So 500 all up.

But if you DIY, which is not hard at all, you would pay 80 for pads and 59 for oil and filter (on special at repco)= 139. Take the 361 dollars that you saved and buy more tools for your garage.
    I know oil and filter is easy to change, i do it on my 87 accord, but when it comes to sell a car people like to see a stamped book from a mechanic. I certainly wouldn't buy a near new car from someone if they did home jobs, my 87 accord is worth like $2000 so i'm not going to fork out $500 for an oil and filter change and new rear pads!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Eu
    I used to service at C&P Honda when I got my cl9 (2nd hand) when I was a total noob to understand cars and the mecahnics of it. Yes they do service cars day in and day out but from my experience they couldnt care less about the quality of work

One time they said they tried to raise the undertray for the engine. Later down the track i saw they hadnt even tucked in on top of the bumper with couple clips missing, i fixed it all up. For over a year a part of my air intake wasnt conenct, bleed tube or whatever its called. You would think they would have noticed it and connected it.

Finally on my 110,000 service had most of the 120,000 stuff done. When it came to my 120,000 service, they couldnt be bothered to give me a qoute as it would have been less. I just did a DIY service and saved heaps. I know how my car has to be serviced, I could find any decent mechanic to get it done specifically. I wouldnt go back to Honda again.

On another note, you could get much better brake pads for cheaper

The service at C&P seemed ok, pitty you had a bad experience.

One thing i've noticed just now though that i have never noticed before is that under the passenger footwell i can hear a wining noise when the inside air is on full fan speed. It makes the noise with and without a/c on. Anyone know what causes this whining noise?

Quote Originally Posted by roony View Post
    On another note, you could get much better brake pads for cheaper
    Which pads are good? I'll know for next time.
    Last edited by adamc11; 11-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.

I have some more C&P prices for those interested. My folks have an 04 accord (non euro) that has about 160,000kms.

The 150,000km service was like $300 so not that bad.

The 160,000km service was expensive.

The car was running like shit and had bad front end shudder.

Labour for service: $310
    Labour for front brake pads: $105
    Labour for rear brake pads and rotors: $210
    Labour for replacing rocker cover: $52

Spark plugs: $11 each
    Rear pads: $163
    Front pads: $175
    head cover: $46
    "Join Comp, Inbo r" (not sure what this is, RHS drive shaft i think which was causing the shudder): $540
    2x Band, join boot: $60
    Oil (not synthetic): $40
    quote to get new key: $430

+ other things

All up about $2500, ouch.
    Last edited by adamc11; 11-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Eu
    The service at C&P seemed ok, pitty you had a bad experience.

Which pads are good? I'll know for next time.
    I didnt have a bad experience per say, I mean they deal with you professionally. Its just that they wouldnt treat your car the same as you would, those things I mentioned, minor but for me it counts.

For pads off the top of my head Remsa, hawk. There is thread here somewhere it is discussed in detail.

edit: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...d-replacement&

Member Array
    Car:
    ERGOT-7
    I have some more C&P prices for those interested. My folks have an 04 accord (non euro) that has about 160,000kms.

The 150,000km service was like $300 so not that bad.

The 160,000km service was expensive.

The car was running like shit and had bad front end shudder.

Labour for service: $310
    Labour for front brake pads: $105
    Labour for rear brake pads and rotors: $210
    Labour for replacing rocker cover: $52

Spark plugs: $11 each
    Rear pads: $163
    Front pads: $175
    head cover: $46
    "Join Comp, Inbo r" (not sure what this is, RHS drive shaft i think which was causing the shudder): $540
    2x Band, join boot: $60
    Oil (not synthetic): $40
    quote to get new key: $430

+ other things

All up about $2500, ouch.
    2500 grand for 160km?? are u serious? i just did mine for 450 bux