Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    I've never seen E10 with an octane (RON) of 91. Especially since the RON of pure Ethanol is 113 which is much higher than petrol. What's more, I believe Australian Standard and Requirements require ULP, which is regular unleaded petrol, is 91 RON. How would mixing a higher RON liquid with a 91 RON fuel while keeping it the same, I've no idea how that works. It's like saying, you have half a tank of 105 RON racing fuel, and fill the other half tank with 91 RON ULP, the resulting fuel would be of 98 RON, not 91 RON. The lowest I've ever seen E10 rated is 94 RON. Again, if you know a company selling 91 RON, please tell me.
    Thats because you're in Melbourne dude..... a lot of politics around Ethanol.

BP E10 in NSW is only 91.
    Caltex E10 in NSW also 91 (also QLD)

88 Octane +10% ethanol = 91.

You've made the assumption that the petrol refineries only refine 91 then add 10%.

They don't. Some refineries refine the petrol to 88 octane then add ethanol to boost it to 91. it's cheaper to make than 91octane +e10 to 94/5. Also, because of the volatility of Ethanol blended fuel... they cant all guarantee it'll still be 94.5 octane when you pick up the pump even for those 91+10% folks.....

You cant argue with physics, all addictive being equal E10 fuel also has less energy content than pure petrol, your fuel consumption would go up.

Even by NSW government (who made E10 compulsory in NSW in replacement of 91), then themselves concurred that E10 will increase the fuel consumption by almost 3%.

Also, ethanol has WATER, for every 60 litres of E10, there is 300ml (a glass full) of H2O in the fuel tank. What's worse, the mixture actually absorbs moisture, so it dilutes the fuel and makes the liquid MUCH more volatile and prone to contamination.........

Water contamination and/or phase separation will lower the octane of E10 by 3 to 4 points. Which is why you read all over the place that ethanol fuel blends expire after 90 days and may expire even sooner after exposure to moisture.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 20-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars