Hey,

I've been having some small problems with my front speakers and after googling the problem i see it's quite common with this car so I convinced my wife I needed some new one's and started hunting.

I came across these on a car audio site,

http://www.focal.com/en/expert/437-p...051750196.html

and they came pretty recommended so I visited a local car audio store and asked they guys there about them, the sales guy couldn't say enough and it just so happened they were fitting a pair to his Porsche to he took me out to have a look! that was enough of a recommendation for me so I got some.

While I was waiting for the weekend to fit them I kept looking around for others who had installed them and how that went which is when I came across this site and JustRight's thread,

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...peaker-upgrade

He mentioned that his speakers only just fit under the door liner with some modification and he estimated only 70mm of space... this gave me that sinking feeling and memories of my first speaker install where I didn't account for the length or the window winder, luckily that time with a little help from a file I was OK but this was a little different as the manual said the speakers were 77mm deep!

I did what I could to make them fit but I was out of luck, in the end though I think it's worked out ok.

I started off making 2 spacers from 18mm MDF, the first I was able to shape to the door skin which let me use the factory mounting points thanks to some 25mm x 8mm bolts for where the tabs of the factory spacer go. The second spacer was a normal round one which I used some sealant and screws onto the bottom one.

test fitting the spacers before I added the bolts
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141115_124359.jpg 
Views:	1469 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	27565

I tried the trim the extra plastic of the back of the door liner like JustRight did but It still wasn't enough so I had to decide between returning them for some else, i though maybe some Alpine Type R's but then i though if I do that I'll always think i could have had something better so I sucked it up and started cutting.

My Dremel came in massively handy and I was able to cut out the grill without much damage and possible in good enough condition to glue back in again if I ever need too.

Name:	20141115_124608.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	27563

Name:	20141115_124624.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	27570

Next came the tweeters, unbelievably the factory tweeters and grills come out and with a little modification with the Dremel the new ones go straight in looking like they were built for it, the factory ones can go back in again too if I wanted to and you wouldn't notice.

Name:	20141115_124515.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	27564

Name:	20141115_152022.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	27568

The crossover for these are massive, allowing for separate amped inputs for both the speakers and tweeters. I've not got to the point of amping them yet but having a woofer input and tweeter input was kinda cool.

Name:	20141115_152013.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	27569

I painted the door spacers with some Dupi-Color custom wrap in the hope of waterproofing them, I've never had issues with MDF spacers getting water logged and warping but I thought I may as well do it properly the first time, it also helps hide the spacers from being seen through the grill.

Name:	20141116_145314.jpg 
Views:	659 
Size:	332.9 KB 
ID:	27567

Finally I used some black windscreen sealant to stick the new grill to the door liner, I know it'll never happen but for some reason I have a real need to know I can return the door to some resemblance of original if I ever needed to, stupid I know, but this let me stick them to the door without screws which I really didn't want to use.

and here's the final product.

Name:	20141122_154803.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	27571

I know you can see a little of the silver from the speaker ring, I might use some of my old modeling paint to cover it over the next time I take off the panel, I'm planing on adding some Dynamat over the Christmas break so may do it then.

Hope this helps anyone else looking at adding some of these, they're pretty sweet!