Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    03' GD3->05' GD3->86' EW5

buying a gen1 crx ew5

im going to buy a gen1 crx ew5 and hopefully i b getting it next week, but of coz the car is not in great condition (as expected for a 1986 model), so there is a need to give it a major service and a few minor fixes,

just wanna ask, does anybody know where i can find a find a full spec of the car (as my knowledge to the car is limited), and a service manual??? is there any link where i can download them???

any help would be appreciated...

also, is it ok to give it a lil push once in a while? coz im scared if i push it, it will break down..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK B18C|AP2 S2K
    whats an internet?

Member Array
    Car:
    oh thank you!!
    but which one is the ew5?? i think it's ballade sport..

Member Array
    Car:
    1989 Honda CRX Si
    yeah its the ballade sport, the ew5 refers to the motor, ew5 is the 1.5 sohc 16v fuel injected motor. there are 3 different motors in the gen1, ew2 1.5l carby, ew5 1.5i, zc dohc 1.6i.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    Ew5 is a SOHC 12 Valve Sam - close enough...

Jazzle - u getting the one off ebay?

vvvvvvvv Ive got one as well vvvvvvvv
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    haha i know u have got one.. u got any advice for me?? like wat engine oil, coolant, and other parts to use when i service it??...

and from ur experience, do you think it's a reliable car?? i think the engine has done 210,000kms, which is not that much for a 1986 model.
    Last edited by Jazzle; 14-03-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hey,

I recon any new purchase of an 'older' car needs some TLC in terms of oil, coolant etc.

For a start give it an oil change, and go to a good radiator place and do a full cooling system flush. Check your log books if any are available for a timing belt change - if recent don't worry but if you don't have any books or history a timing belt change would be advised.

210000 isn't bad - GENONE has 270000 on the clock - mind you it had a rebuild because of the oil pump giving way but everything else internally was great. I recall the dude that worked on the cyl head said it looked like the car has barely done 10000kms and same thing with the block - so technically they are very good motors.

Something else to look at is front shocks, being a torsion bar setup - good condition shocks are essential as otherwise your car will go to sh*t very quick if youre bottoming out.

thats about it for now... if you have any questions just PM me or ask here.
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    Dont listen to sinistr, he doesnt have one.....

...he has TWO OF THEM!

Member Array
    Car:
    true... but only one is an EW5. hehe

same principal applies to both when it comes to the engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    =) thanx for the advices... but wat is TLC??
    anyway, no matter wat condition it's in.. im gonna give it a major service,, including timing belt changes....

regarding to the suspension, if they're not in good condiiton, is it easy to find aftermarket parts or any replacements?? also, should i use genuine honda oil, coolant etc .. coz since the car is pretty old, i would think using synthetic oil may not be good for the engine

anyway, when i get the car later i will have a good look at it and there will bemore questions to come =D

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    TLC = Tender Loving Care (ie: need some work done to bring it back to spec)

Member Array
    Car:
    Good Suspension shops should be able to advise you on parts - but Koni Reds are good adjustable shocks for the front of the car. Rear is just like any other civic from 83-86.

for oil i'd recommend using penrite or shell helix - anything that has 20/50 rating.