Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is a b18a?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by Shraka View Post
    Don't you mean a b20 with a b16a head? Would the B16 head flow well enough?
    yes b20 with a b16 head is pretty impressive ..

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamezy View Post
    yes b20 with a b16 head is pretty impressive ..
    My only concern would be that you're dealing with another 400ccs, and I assume you rev it out to the same RPM as a standards b16? So the head would become a restriction. You'd have to port it to keep the airflow going up around 7500rpm and above wouldn't you?
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    i dont see why you would need to. a stock b16 revs to over 8k

while im sure a stock b20 block mated to a b20 head only will rev to around 7k

so its the b20 block that needs strengthening ie rod bolts etc to make it more reliable.

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeling7 View Post

so its the b20 block that needs strengthening ie rod bolts etc to make it more reliable.
    good call! rep added A+

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeling7 View Post

Oh okay, so you're not revving it out as high. Right, makes sense. However, at 7000 rpm the B20 will still be sucking more air than the B16 at 8500rpm. Not much more though. About 3% more. Shouldn't be an issue considering how much torque is left in a VTEC engine when it hits redline.

Good call! Still, I like engines that rev out past 7500rpm.
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds

Member Array
    Car:
    Charmander
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm928 View Post
    heres the low down on integra Ls.

there were two makes of the integra DA9's from which 1989-1993 was the production time.
    the car had two models.
    the LS: consisting of a non VTEC b18a 5spd manual blah blah blah
    the XSI: consisting of b16a2 i think, which is the vtec inside the EM1 Coupes.
    oviously the XSI will smash the b18a although even the b18a is a 1.8L and the xsi is a 1.6L but you all should know that oviously! have a good one if you want to do a engine swap go for a b20 with a b16a block. gets very torquey =) Goodluck!
    incorrect THe XSI has a b16a. not b16a2. it has more KW then the aus spec b16a2 which are found in EK4's and EM1's

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    My only concern would be that you're dealing with another 400ccs, and I assume you rev it out to the same RPM as a standards b16? So the head would become a restriction. You'd have to port it to keep the airflow going up around 7500rpm and above wouldn't you?
    Oh okay, so you're not revving it out as high. Right, makes sense. However, at 7000 rpm the B20 will still be sucking more air than the B16 at 8500rpm. Not much more though. About 3% more. Shouldn't be an issue considering how much torque is left in a VTEC engine when it hits redline.

Good call! Still, I like engines that rev out past 7500rpm.

The stock ports on the B16a head are actually a little too large for the 1.6L and usually dont need to be opened up much at all. Most of the headwork should be done around the valve and bowl area to get the head flowing better. The B16a head flows more than enough for the B20b bottom end, thats the whole concept behind a B20VTEC, larger displacement bottom end with a high flowing VTEC head

B20VTEC Build Thread