Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    vtec solenoid.
    right next to the dizzy on the gearbox side of the engine.
    gold coloured cylindrical shaped device with a couple of wires coming out of it.
    part of the head.
    to be more detailed. its on the exhaust side of the head, hence why i said right next to the dizzy. since the dizzy runs off the intake side.
    =]
    (dw i didnt know what it looked like either. i mean. who cares. all you need is the boooBAAAAA =] )

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTI-R CIVIC
    there are pics of what the solenoid looks like in diy threads about creating vtec lights etc

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 FN2R
    btw, it was a bitch finding the switch as mine is the audm and the picture shown was a usdm honda. lol, my housemate who knows shit about cars was the one who pointed it out to me and finally found it! IT IS LOCATED ON THE PASSENGER'S SIDE AT THE DOOR for those of you who may have the same problem locating it. LOL!

i just checked it out. ENGINE CODE 3. map sensor. also, i have a vafc which the vtec has been set to kick in at 6000 not the standard 5500. is this the problem? have i finally solved the problem??!?? do i need to retune it? reset it? if yes how? i checked the vtec solenoid and everything seems to be connected properly. whats the next step??!??

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    I think you may be confused.

As phuong1987 pointed out,
    Here's what code 3 (MAP) looks like - 3 fast

And here's what code 21 (VTS) looks like - 2 slow, 1 fast

When the VTS is energised by the ECU it allows pressurised oil to pass ( via a valve and filter ) to the valve train locking pins that engage VTEC. The ECU monitors the VTS to ensure it is there and connected.
    Like i said earlier it's a oil pressure problem. What type of oil is being used? The leak you have is contributing to the problem but you may have another oil pressure problem somewhere too.
    Last edited by 02gzm; 04-09-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by 02gzm View Post
    I think you may be confused.

As phuong1987 pointed out,
    Here's what code 3 (MAP) looks like - 3 fast

And here's what code 21 (VTS) looks like - 2 slow, 1 fast

Like i said earlier it's a oil pressure problem. What type of oil is being used? The leak you have is contributing to the problem but you may have another oil pressure problem somewhere too.
    its the map sensor. definitely a code 3. i'm using semi-synthetic oil at the moment. should be changing it to full synthetic soon. i'll be changing my exhaust system soon and getting another mechanic to take a closer look at the problem. would the vafc have anything to do with it?

If your really sure that its the map sensor, get a new 1 and test it out or go to the wreckers and get one, most honda motor uses the same map sensor

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    It may sound odd but clean the terminals of your dizzy. My car tripped the MAP sensor code a few times with my old leads that kept coming loose. And vtec = high rpm, so it could be a slight miss in the ignition that causes it to not spark occasionally.

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 FN2R
    changed the map sensor over the weekend. tested the car a few times and CEL DOES NOT come on anymore *fingers crossed*

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!