prelude auto-tensioner

anyone had a problem with this? :S

"The last thing I’m going to talk about for reliability on the H22 doesn’t really qualify as basic maintenance, but is important enough to address right off. The auto-tensioner that comes on the H22 has a deserved reputation for failing. The unit relies on oil pressure within itself to keep tension on your belt. When it fails you’ll hear your belt start to flap around – and it won’t be long after that before the belt breaks & you’re out several thousand dollars for new pistons & a head rebuild.

Honda makes an updated version of the auto-tensioner which is supposedly more reliable, but it’s still a tricky piece to install & use correctly. A popular upgrade (especially for those who are running stiffer valvesprings, higher compression, or forced induction) is to use the manual tensioner which is found on the H23 engine (Prelude Si, ’92-96). I won’t go into the details on how it’s done, as there is a pretty good writeup on the process in the “how-to” section over at www.collectiveracing.net. You have to register in order to read the article, but it only takes a few minutes. Anyway, I highly recommend looking into swapping to a manual tensioner if it’s ever convenient (like at the same time you’re changing the timing belt & water pump – i.e. before you install the engine . . . .) And if you reuse your H22 balance shaft pulley, updating to a manual tensioner is actually less expensive than a new auto one . . . . about $90 in parts/shipping through an online supplier like Majestic Honda."

Member Array
    Car:
    95 BB Prelude
    yeah i changed mine over to a manual tensioner last belt change. Next belt change I'm going back to an auto one.

the only reason they fail is because they should be changed every belt change or at least rebuilt.

wtb: Mugen Gear Knob, PM if you have one for sale

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    why going back to auto tensioner? when the manual is already done?
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    95 BB Prelude
    because my engine is stock and i CBF'ed with the fretting over the manual one which does come loose over time, mine did recently and the belt did a good job of slapping around. AFAIK, the newer tensioners are revised so don't have as many failure issues.
    wtb: Mugen Gear Knob, PM if you have one for sale

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Re bump.. anyone know where to get this job done? auto > manual pre tensioner i mean
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CBR600RR, EGG
    pretty easy DIY.

heaps of articles on the net. just do some searching next time

here you go - http://www.collectiveracing.net/crfo...0b85ad653fd6d1