Thread: bonnet removal

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG Gli

bonnet removal

im gonna clean my whole engine bay and make it look like new. i wanna take the bonnet off cos then i can see inside the engine bay properly, just more easier that way. oh and if anyones got a tips on how to clean the rocker cover that would be great too

thnx
    DIY FTW.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic si (d16a8)
    well i presume you wanna know how to remove the bonnet. easy peasy open it up and there or just some bolts on the hinges. probably best if you have another person to hold it.
    with regards to cleaning the cover be careful of using degreaser as it can take of or at least fade the paint. If it were me id just repaint with crinkle paint. the cover as it doesnt cost much (diy) and looks very nice

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If your rocker cover has crinkle paint on it, steam clean. Don't use solvent as it dissolves the paint, leaving behind a smooth finish.

And, take off your windscreen washer lines FIRST.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG Gli
    i have a gli engine does not have paint sohc non vtec so yaaahhh its just dirty not fading or watever. so would degreaser bee fine or maybe some methelated spirits?
    DIY FTW.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic si (d16a8)
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVAL View Post
    i have a gli engine does not have paint sohc non vtec so yaaahhh its just dirty not fading or watever. so would degreaser bee fine or maybe some methelated spirits?
    shoulod be fine to use degreaser. still though be careful around plastic and even sealent on the rocker

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    Our bonnets have a second hole u can put the stick in, it makes the bonnet stay open almost vertical
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic EG Gli
    yeah i know i just wanna take bonnet off anyway looks cool driving down the side street
    DIY FTW.

Member Array
    Car:
    91' S2 Prelude
    Best to have two person holding the bonnet while your doing the bolts... the thing ways shitloads
    1989 Nissan Skyline R32 GTR
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32.4 Bee*R wide-bodykit
    1991 Honda Prelude Si-4WS Series II
    2003 Honda Integra Luxury

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by S92 View Post
    Best to have two person holding the bonnet while your doing the bolts... the thing ways shitloads
    Agreed 110%
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    Better yet, have 2 people hold the bonnet and 1 other person undo the bolts while you sit back and crack open a cold one!

Seriously though, it is a good idea to remove the bonnet so you can get around to all sides of the bay properly and easily. One other thing, jack up the car as it'll save you having to constantly bend your back (unless you're really, really short) and you'll be able to get to the underside of parts in the bay easily too!
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement