Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18c

Water to air intercooler. thinking of using one, PROS and CONS from ppl who have used

As the title says im thinking of upgrading my air to air for one off these.
    Main reason car will look adsolutly stock with out the big F**KA hagging on the front..
    But do they do a good job>>>
    Do you just run water or proper coolant in them.,..
    Nissan S15: 12.6@113mph
    Integra GSi: 15.1@91mph
    Civic B18c N/A : 14.1@98mph
    CRX B18c N/A : 13.9@101mph

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    an advantage is when your stuck in a traffic jam it can still effectively cool. an air to air cooler wont really have much flowing air going into it in this situation. this can cause the car to overheat on a hot day sometimes.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    wont cool as much in flowing traffic but will cool better in stop start (although you can put a fan on a front mount) expensive by comparison
    if you add an extra tank you can put ice in it for really cool temps (drag runs)
    heavier (as if you will notice if you are going turbo

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    just paint ur current cooler black?
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18c
    I just got a few quotes and its not cheap for a good setup

I might just invest in some new shorter pipes and a GOOD air to air intercooler as the one i currently have is old and looks hell cheap
    Nissan S15: 12.6@113mph
    Integra GSi: 15.1@91mph
    Civic B18c N/A : 14.1@98mph
    CRX B18c N/A : 13.9@101mph

water to air intercoolers have been proven.one of my dads good mates(errol) currently owns a Subaru RX with sti running gear stroked to 2.2lt making 510hp atw running a Gt35/40 on 28 pound :P its best time down the strip is 10.04.and yeh no intercooler in sight!!

Water spray into intercooler is a standard for EVO6-9 (not sure EVO 1-5). It has approved to have better result with this system in Japan.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Can't say which is better without knowing what kind of driving you're doing. Air/water coolers have a greater potential, however, there are only a few situations where this great potential is utilized. If this is anything but a drag car/top speed car, moving to an air/water cooler is going to dimish your overall cooling capacity, add a lot of unnecessary weight, and empty your wallet.

And having an air/water cooler doesn't clear up the grill area... you still have to have a good sized heat exchanger in direct air flow... it just has water running through it instead of air.

If you want the stealth look, have your current intercooler adonized black. That'll be the best option here.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Water spray into intercooler is a standard for EVO6-9 (not sure EVO 1-5). It has approved to have better result with this system in Japan.
    Water spray on the intercooler(as is the case with the evo's afaik), water injection, and an air/water intercooler are three COMPLETELY different concepts.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    Water spray on the intercooler(as is the case with the evo's afaik), water injection, and an air/water intercooler are three COMPLETELY different concepts.
    For the completely ignorant like me, can you explain the three concepts?
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    water spray - setup that sprays a fine mist of de-mineralised water on the IC, contrary to what most people believe, the best time for the spray to activate is just before a burst of full acelleration, not so much during. you can buy computers that calculate when to spray automatically depending on quite a few different variables. Alot of people just use their windshield fluid spray, and simply run the waterlines from the widshield fluid pump to mist jets infront of the IC and manually activate it the same way they would activate the windshield fluid spray.

water injection - allows water vapor into the combustion chamber (pretty sure it injects into the intake somwhere), the water vapor acts to reduce detonation, allowing for higher compression ratios/more agressive timing etc. Somtimes the water is mixed with alcohol because it is combustable, and acts as an antifreze (alcohol injection).
    the injection cools the air/fuel mixture slighty, making it denser, and when in the chamber it absorbs heat converting from fluid to gas.

Air/water intercooler - cools the intake charge using water instead of air. looks like a metal tank in place of the IC. Im not sure, but i believe the air enters the tank and runs through a heat exchanger device (like an intercooler), that is submerged in the tank of cool water. i believe the water is cooled by a radiator of its own? because of the small volume of coolant being circulated, it is only really useful for short durations like in drag racing and top speed recors as saxman mentioned.
    Last edited by Muzz; 23-01-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    Back from the dead

Member Array
    Car:
    92 integra LS TURBO,96gsi
    Im currently using a air/water setup on my sw20 mr2 , its seem to do the job quite well currently pulling 220kw atw on ~14psi , system runs a water tank in the boot , electric water pump and extra radiator at the front of the car,

pictures here are quite old setup looks slight different now but you get the idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 009.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	3937