Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    update- Have had the belt replaced ( the teeth were stripped ) and the good news is that no valve train was damaged and the car started fine. The bad news is that there is excessive freeplay in the front balance shaft which looks to be the cause of the timing belt failure. As the balance shaft has been moving in and out of the block 10mm, the balance shaft belt has been fouling on the timing belt gradually wearing away one side of the timing belt. the balance shaft pully has also been fouling on the plastic timing cover and has nearly work through it.

It looks like im going to have to take the motor out to enable the balance shaft to come out or is there another way?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    just dont put the balance belt back on

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    Ludes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    just dont put the balance belt back on
    Ditto. just remove the belt and hold the shafts in place somehow to avoid rattling and vibration.
    NSX headlights, DI NOC Carbon film, Flips Parts sale .

uugh I forgot the name of the test its similar to a compression test but a little more specific to each valve. Same pressure sort of test where your checking for leaks fro very slightly bent valves..

anyways you should get that done coz car starting doesnt always mean car running as well as it should.. tho if your not fussy then i guess you'l be right afterall it runs

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    ecuman- so u are deadly serious about not having the balance shaft belt connected? if Thats the case, is there pro's and cons to this method?

it seems a very easy fix, which i am not at all complaining about.

bigteethygrin- is that a leakdown test you are refering to?

The mechanic did a compression test after the new belt was installed and he said that they all read evenly with excellent compression.

oh yah leak down test! hehehe.. mind is getting stupid these days

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    Quote Originally Posted by bigteethygrin View Post

anyways you should get that done coz car starting doesnt always mean car running as well as it should.. tho if your not fussy then i guess you'l be right afterall it runs

i must be very fortunate as i got my car back yesterday after a month off the road and it runs better than it ever has before. So I dont think i bent the valves the slightest bit.