Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

HID's? Which ones are for me? What do the specs mean Etc?

Hey guys

The HID mod has been on my mind for some time now, however after constantly looking i have not found any concrete info on them yet. From what i have gathered there are many many brands of the HIDS available. By HID i am not just talking about a lamp, i mean the kit with the transformers, ballests and lamps etc.

But basically what is the difference between

"High End HID" & "Low end Hid" also stats like 6000k, 8000k 10000k and 12000k etc

Also what are the terms in relation to the kits h1, h3,h4,h7, h11, hb3, hb4?

also seem to be many different brands out there, what give the best results or are best value for money... more to the point what is the JUNK i should stay away from?

also what is the usuall life on these kits? can you get replacement lamps? are they universal or brand specific?

Also i have herd pros and cons to useing them on angle eye projector headlights? if i were to use them why would it be so different then to useing them instandard head lights?

Thanks in advance

Regards Lyle

high and low kits have high beam and low beam..
    6000k and 8000k etc is the temp they are at i.e 6000 kelvin etc.. usually the higher the k rating the bluer the light

h1 h3 is the type of bulb that fits into your headlight.

on most egs its h4.. on angel eyes the headlight sometime is h1 or h7

brands that are good are phillips,bosch,narva,piaa,
    with the good brands you can usually get replacement bulbs and ballasts n stuff. but the cheaper ones only come as a kit.
    best not to mix brands .. coz that usually shortens the life of the hids.. or it may not even work.

supposedly on angle eye projectors they melt the housing of the light.. dunno thats wat i have heard.

standard lights dont have the right focus for the beam.. u need a projector housing so that u have the light focused in one general direction instead of everywhere.

Member Array
    Car:
    a honda i guess...
    i dont think there is a high end, low end kit. you get what you pay for..
    if you purchase a hid conversion kit, it'll come with ballast bulbs etc, just need to install it.

the light or brightness produced are measured in kelvin, thats why you see 4300k, 5000k, 6000k etc the higher you go the bluer it gets.

if your car utilizes h4 bulbs then you would purchase a h4 kit.

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    lyle if u have different headlights other than your stock 1's u dont need the high/lo kit but if u do have your stock headlights u need to use H4 kit.
    i recomend soemwhere around the 6000-7000 range. anything more will blind the shit out of other people
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

i have MTEC, had no probs over the last 1.5 years+

6000k, bright white, with a tinge of blue. and they are a good price too.

wouldnt go for china brand, they getting better these days, but yeah few ppl i know have blown bulbs, all china brands.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    With angle eye projectors as they have 2 lamps in each headlight? (high beam and low beam separate) could i purchase 2 sets of HIDs with different rateing on each set for the HIGH and NORMAL beam? also any way of telling what sort of lamp i willl need? H1, h4, H7 etc etc? is it writting somewhere usually on the lamp in my car?

ALso whats the go with the colours they come in? orange, yellow, white blue etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    With angle eye projectors as they have 2 lamps in each headlight? (high beam and low beam separate) could i purchase 2 sets of HIDs with different rateing on each set for the HIGH and NORMAL beam? also any way of telling what sort of lamp i willl need? H1, h4, H7 etc etc? is it writting somewhere usually on the lamp in my car?

ALso whats the go with the colours they come in? orange, yellow, white blue etc etc?
    your globe is H4 ~so the replacement would be a H4 HID. Correcto ?
    Since the stock bulb is dual function (low/hi) can someone confirm that the HID replacement , would be lo/hi beam too ?
    The colours are dependant on the tempreture , in degrees kelvin.
    Lower temp = more orange tinge. Higher temp = more blue tinge.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 + ZXR250C
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    your globe is H4 ~so the replacement would be a H4 HID. Correcto ?
    Since the stock bulb is dual function (low/hi) can someone confirm that the HID replacement , would be lo/hi beam too ?
    The colours are dependant on the tempreture , in degrees kelvin.
    Lower temp = more orange tinge. Higher temp = more blue tinge.
    No he doesnt necessarily have to get the H4 hi/lo kit... the normal low beam is sufficient and much cheaper than Hi/Lo.. however the high beam will not be usable ... so yeah depends on what you want...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz VTi-S
    hi i have a honda jazz 2007 vti-s

what bulb does it use or where can i find this information?

oh and also, will i need to change anything to my lights if i get a conversion kit so that it doesnt blind other drivers? I want to get a 6000K one..

Quote Originally Posted by GReY_CVC View Post
    No he doesnt necessarily have to get the H4 hi/lo kit... the normal low beam is sufficient and much cheaper than Hi/Lo.. however the high beam will not be usable ... so yeah depends on what you want...
    thanks for that insight - i totally understand that the low beam will be OK indeed.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    hmmm im not really following Basicall, My Eg civic has Angel Eye head light projectors. In Each Head light there are 2 separate lamps and a lense for each. 1 for High beam and 1 for low beam. Therefor for both Left and Right head light i have 4 lamps, (Low beam L + R, High beam L + R)

Now what i have noticed with HID kids they are sold as a pair of 2. Could i purchase 2 hid kids in different strengths (eg 6k for low beam and 10k for high beam) and use the them that way? one kit for low beam and one kit for high beam as with the angle eyes they have a lense for each lamp (high and low)

Does that make sense at all?

Ps Dont hijack my thred, if you have questions about your situation start up a new thred

pps how do i tell what lamp i have? so i can get the right replacement?
    Last edited by Sexc86; 18-04-2007 at 03:58 PM.

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    hmmm im not really following Basicall, My Eg civic has Angel Eye head light projectors. In Each Head light there are 2 separate lamps and a lense for each. 1 for High beam and 1 for low beam. Therefor for both Left and Right head light i have 4 lamps, (Low beam L + R, High beam L + R)

Now what i have noticed with HID kids they are sold as a pair of 2. Could i purchase 2 hid kids in different strengths (eg 6k for low beam and 10k for high beam) and use the them that way? one kit for low beam and one kit for high beam as with the angle eyes they have a lense for each lamp (high and low)

Does that make sense at all?

Ps Dont hijack my thred, if you have questions about your situation start up a new thred

pps how do i tell what lamp i have? so i can get the right replacement?
    that makes it easier u can retain your Hibeam and just get HID's for your low beam if just get the kit for the low beams

eg. if u have H3 bulbs on your angel lights then u just need a H3 HId kit
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy