Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R

Coilovers making a poping noise?

Hi guys for some reason my suspension is making a poping noise when car is involved in turning the steering wheel... or when im trying to park dunno why??

Im using Buddyclub N+ Coilovers any ideas?

at low speeds? going over speed humps?

i had this same noise. turned out my sway bar endlinks werent tight enough and the sway bar was moving on the endlink bolt, hence the 'pop' or 'donk'.

also, ensure ur coilover is secure and tight at the strut mounts.

that should be the easiest initial analysis. tighten everything up.

if it persists, might wanna get other things like cv's, ball joints, etc checked out.

*waits for bennjamin*

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    nah just when reversing or parking and turning ... Ive had it ever since it rained all last week ...

it might be the coils/springs hitting each other when ur turning ur wheel.

this also happened to my springs.. they were touching .. and after you turn your wheel, they sort of slip apart and make that "DONK" sound..

I think the mech just sprayd some WD40 or something on it. and it went away.. Not sure exactly what he sprayd tho!. just a guess

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by taizon View Post
    it might be the coils/springs hitting each other when ur turning ur wheel.

this also happened to my springs.. they were touching .. and after you turn your wheel, they sort of slip apart and make that "DONK" sound..

I think the mech just sprayd some WD40 or something on it. and it went away.. Not sure exactly what he sprayd tho!. just a guess
    The BC N+ should not require any form of lube sprayed onto it to ensure a quiet suspension. I'm thinking the spring preload might be wrong.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    yeah but N+ coilovers have a bearing of sorts at top which stops it?
    I think it has dried out from rain hence knocking??

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessionz View Post
    yeah but N+ coilovers have a bearing of sorts at top which stops it?
    I think it has dried out from rain hence knocking??
    You mean the upper pillowball? You'll hear it when you go over irregular road, but not when you are parking. I'm thinking that the lower spring perch was set too low. Do you know if youru N+ was checked against the factory specified heights and settings before installation?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    its not that low ... i called my mechanic he knew about the problem he said very common with DC5R when you lower it .... and there is a kit to fix it or something ... not to sure...

maybe because the front shocks are directly connected to the steering arm , there is a chance one of the 2 large bolts might be alittle loose or the steering arm is not tight etc. Re tighten and best to hit the bolts with a proper torque wrench. I got one dude when you come around for a fluid change

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    You mean the upper pillowball? You'll hear it when you go over irregular road, but not when you are parking.
    dont forget the front suspension is macpherson strut on dc5r so the whole strut turns when turning the steering.
    very common problem to get knocking with springs/stock struts, when turning wheel at large angles (which i get in mine)
    but most coilovers are designed with a better bearing/bushing at the top mount to reduce/remove that knocking.
    if the lubrication at that point has dried out, then that will bind up causing binding of the coil and then popping as it releases through further load in the spring.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG2, GD1, CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    maybe because the front shocks are directly connected to the steering arm , there is a chance one of the 2 large bolts might be alittle loose or the steering arm is not tight etc. Re tighten and best to hit the bolts with a proper torque wrench. I got one dude when you come around for a fluid change

yes i bet u, some bolts are not tight enuf. tighten & lube it up.

u can try spray some wd40 onto the bolt tat u think might have cause the 'popping' sound. if u're able to pin point which one is it, and after tighten if the noise still comes back up. get some mild silicon rubber glue and seal the surrounding of the bolt.

good luck.
    Last edited by STTICH; 19-06-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typo

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    thanks everyone for the advice ... much appreciated =o)