Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    i got a similar problem too, mine is an 97 EK sedan GLi

i went to the mechanic today and he said that my gearbox bearing had killed itself, because the car would only rattle when:

*Clutch is engaged - engine running idle
    *1st/2nd gear - sound lessens the higher the gear

the rattle stops when the clutch is disengaged or when i'm in 3rd gear or higher

does anyone know the costs of fixing this problem??

Just a long shot, but when you load the motor up in a higher gear, say, lugging it from about 2krpm in 3rd, do you get the rattling noise then?

If it does it under load, perhaps it's pinging...
    And so it begins...

I had the same problem on ek gli manual.

I'm guessing its got something to do with some kind of bearings. but it didnt affect the way the car drove so i just left it.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Throwout bearing if it happens when the clutch is pressed in.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Nah it doesn't happen under heavy loading

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Throwout bearing if it happens when the clutch is pressed in.
    the rattling happens when the clutch is released (engaged with the engine), so is it the throwout bearing, or some other bearing?

btw how much will it cost to fix a throwout bearing, parts + labour - will it damage any other parts if i don't fix it?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckt View Post
    i got a similar problem too, mine is an 97 EK sedan GLi

i went to the mechanic today and he said that my gearbox bearing had killed itself, because the car would only rattle when:

*Clutch is engaged - engine running idle
    *1st/2nd gear - sound lessens the higher the gear

the rattle stops when the clutch is disengaged or when i'm in 3rd gear or higher

does anyone know the costs of fixing this problem??
    Me got this noise as well. And from last week until now... i cant engage my fifth gear Even when the engine is off. Just cant push into the stock. Gear 1 -4 still well fine. Just sound rough when in 1st trying to accelerate, or when off gas travel (rolling along).

I am getting the box and the clutch replaced.

I still have no idea what happen but i have enough traveling in 4th most of the time.

2nd hand box cost me ~$450. New clutch ~400.

Is this a common problem for EG Vti's box? If anyone could pinpoint what happen would be great.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckt View Post
    the rattling happens when the clutch is released (engaged with the engine), so is it the throwout bearing, or some other bearing?

btw how much will it cost to fix a throwout bearing, parts + labour - will it damage any other parts if i don't fix it?
    In that case, it would be the input shaft bearing. You'll have to drop the gearbox to replace it.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    In that case, it would be the input shaft bearing. You'll have to drop the gearbox to replace it.
    ouchie...isn't any harm to keep driving with the input shaft bearing having killed itself

oh and what kills the input shaft bearing? isn't just normal wear and tear? or it's something that causes it to happen, just for future reference

Member Array
    Car:
    EF
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    Me got this noise as well. And from last week until now... i cant engage my fifth gear Even when the engine is off. Just cant push into the stock. Gear 1 -4 still well fine. Just sound rough when in 1st trying to accelerate, or when off gas travel (rolling along).

I am getting the box and the clutch replaced.

I still have no idea what happen but i have enough traveling in 4th most of the time.

2nd hand box cost me ~$450. New clutch ~400.

Is this a common problem for EG Vti's box? If anyone could pinpoint what happen would be great.
    just maybe a possibility but could it be your gear synchros..similar problem to my car once

feel free to correct me if im wrong ppl