Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04 Acura TSX,93 Accord SE
    Ah, one of my favorite topics... I've seen this beat to death here in the states so much it's like talking about religion and politics. There are no winners to these debates only opinions.

When I bought my TSX just about 4 years ago they marketed it against the low end European models from BMW, Audi and Saab. A lot of people started to rip the car because they discovered it was really a Honda Accord, even though Acura was selling it. But based on both price and reliability there was no contest between the TSX and the others. After the crash test data and resale values came in, I knew I made the right decision.

Once the reviews started coming in they were mostly positive and many people started looking at the car differently. The big issue with it here in the states is similar to other Asian imports, not enough low end torque. When you mostly drive in congested traffic, the guy in the Porsche next to you isn't getting there any faster despite how much more powerful his engine is. What people really like is that kick in the pants when they accelerate from a stop light. But I've driven my TSX over 120mph and love how balanced it is, hell even a more civil speeds the car handles outstandingly!

Overall, I have been more than pleased with mine, the biggest issues for me are using Premium fuel only and the poor sound quality of the speakers. BTW, I've pulled out the door panels and they speakers and magnets are really of poor quality even though the system says "Premium Sound." The wife's '93 Accord SE was one of the few cars Honda offered in the U.S. with factory Bose system and I do agree it does sound better. But I have discovered something interesting. when you listen either CDs or an iPod, the sound is much better than when listening the radio - not sure why? One of these days I will probably replace the speakers and boost the amp.

Sorry for the long post...
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts"
    - Albert Einstein

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro "CL9"
    Quote Originally Posted by marosch View Post
    Hi guys,

But I honestly don't understand why the Automobile Clubs (RACV and others) rate the Euro as a luxury vehicle.
    Or is it that cars in Australia are not as luxurious as in Europe?

Cheers,
    Marc
    The Euro is rated as Luxury in Australia is also because it is costing over $50K and RACV classified card thats over $50K as Luxury cars.
    Besides we actually have to pay more (luxury) stamp duty. $43K is only Euro Standard.
    FS: 16" Euro OEM Wheels (set of 4) $800.00

Mods:
    17" Euro LUX OEM wheels / Pivot / DIY Ground Wire / Euro-R Body Kit / Tien Flex + EDFC / Cusco Strut brace / Whiteline Rear Swey Bar /

man....you are paying way too much for your accord euros!!!

are you rounding up to the nearest 50k!

Member Array
    Car:
    Mville station + 423 bus
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Hmm, IS250 good value... Hmm, I'd say that the IS250 is good value as a 2 seater, as there aren't many 2+2 cars with that level of comfort and luxury. As a 4 seater, it is bad as the rear seats were too small for me, my head hit the roof at the back, the steering wheel is chunky and ugly while the boot space is the WORST ever in a 4-door sedan. Even the Echo sedan has more boot space. But the Lexus is about indulgence. Why pay less for a similar car when you can spend extra dosh and be treated like a king at the dealership. You even get free coffees (lattes, mocha, espresso, cappucino) at the Lexus dealership during service, unlike Honda where they only give it to you if you are sitting down to negotiate on a price. LOL
    i agree with aaronng there i went to test drive a IS250 ( girlfriend wanted to buy one, she ended up getting the 07' bmw 320i M package ) the space inside the car would be better off as aaronng said a 2seater.

lol my honda dealer offered me cookies and coffee as i was waiting for my service lol.

but besides that point the lexus dealers showroom has several coffee machines and etc. the service is outstanding what you pay i guess like aaron said goes into service.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by eurosp View Post
    The Euro is rated as Luxury in Australia is also because it is costing over $50K and RACV classified card thats over $50K as Luxury cars.
    Besides we actually have to pay more (luxury) stamp duty. $43K is only Euro Standard.
    It's not 50k.

Euro base manual: $33,990
    Euro base auto: $35,990
    Euro luxury manual: $40,990
    Euro luxury auto: $42,990

Add in $2000 of onroads and $4000 for the sat nav, and the Euro luxury auto is stil only $48,990 on the road, not yet past the $50k limit for luxury car tax.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Lexus?

Hi guys,

funny that we are now talking about Lexus

My Honda dealer in Frankston/VIC is not the largest dealer, but offers good service. The coffee is only instant coffee, but I don't have to ask for it.
    I get a free loan car and home pick up if needed.

The flash dealer in Brighton has the coffee bar and even offers sandwiches. But the sales person wasn't as knowledgeable, tried to rip me off and was a bit sleazy.

There you go. I rather support smaller dealers with better service, than the flash and big dealers who need the numbers to pay for the whole crap.

BTW
    Luxury tax kicks in above $56k in Australia, or am I wrong?

If a car above $50K is a luxury car, than my Accord Luxury is no Luxury car

If a car is a luxury vehicle as soon it has a CD stacker and climate control, than every second Korean car is a luxury car.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to say the whole time!
    What the heck is a luxury car?

I drove an Opel Vectra Station Wagon with a 4-cyl. Diesel in Germany. It had features like acclimatized seats and all the electronic whistle and bells.
    The comment I got: It's only an Opel, do they try to be something like Mercedes.
    I loved the car and it was a pleasure to drive. As is my Accord Euro.
    I personally don't really care if it is a "Luxury" or what ever, I only try to figure out what a Luxury vehicle is (in Australia).

SORRY for the long "letter"

Have a nice one
    Euro Lux 5AT Silver Stock Standard

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro 6MT
    I believe the Luxury car tax is currently $57, 009.

IS250 Prestige Auto $56, 990.
    2004 Accord Euro 6MT
    ------------------------------
    mods
    ------------------------------

Mugen catback exhaust l Philips BlueVision 4000k headlights

European cars

We pay very little for cars in Australia, compared with Europe. (Barina(Corsa) is like 25K in europe, while here around $15K-$17K). That is why we will never see options they get in Europe.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro lxry

Lxry

IMO, the lxry in the euro is just a tag....it is there top of the range in the model discussed.

It does however have some lxry features, e.g heated seats, automatic wipers, which arn't offered in most cars in it's price range.

As for the stereo it outputs wave...mp3 is compressed sound quality no where near wave quality.

Wave is the best

I am satisfied with my stereo, the clarity is superb, my opinion anyway

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04 Acura TSX,93 Accord SE
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    It's not 50k.

Euro base manual: $33,990 (USD 29.16)
    Euro base auto: $35,990 (USD 30.87)
    Euro luxury manual: $40,990 (USD 35.16)
    Euro luxury auto: $42,990 (USD 36.88)

Add in $2000 (USD 1715.65) of onroads and $4000 (USD 3431.31) for the sat nav, and the Euro luxury auto is stil only $48,990 (USD 42.02) on the road, not yet past the $50k limit for luxury car tax.

I took aaronng's numbers and did some calculations and after converting the prices, you pay considerably higher then we do. When you figure in the lower horsepower and shorter warranty even I would have to question Honda's pricing of the Accord Euro.

BTW, what is "onroads?"

2007 Acura TSX 6-Spd MT
    Engine: 2.4L I4 205HP
    Fuel Econ: 22/30 mpg
    $28,090 (AUD 32.75) - MSRP
    $25,638 (AUD 29.89) - Invoice

2007 Acura TSX 5-Spd AT
    Fuel Econ: 22/31 mpg
    $28,090 (AUD 32.75) - MSRP
    $25,638 (AUD 29.89) - Invoice

2007 Acura TSX 6-Spd MT w/ Navigation System
    Fuel Econ: 22/30 mpg
    $30,090(AUD 35.08) - MSRP
    $27,459 (AUD 32.01) - Invoice

2007 Acura TSX 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation System
    Fuel Econ: 22/31 mpg
    $30,090(AUD 35.08) - MSRP
    $27,459 (AUD 32.01) - Invoice
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts"
    - Albert Einstein

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    ^^ 'onroad' is the final price of the car, after adding state government stamp duty (varies state to state), registration fees and compulsory personal accident insurance, and dealer delivery charges (varies from dealer to dealer). The dealer is responsible for pre-delivery inspection of the car, and car registration process. They charge a fee for all the work they have to do to make the car road-worthy. The state government loves to take a chuck of your money to finance minister's first class air travel to USA and Europe on 'official government business' during the winter parliamentary recess. lol.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by hip View Post
    I took aaronng's numbers and did some calculations and after converting the prices, you pay considerably higher then we do. When you figure in the lower horsepower and shorter warranty even I would have to question Honda's pricing of the Accord Euro.
    Yeah, wait til you see the price of BMW, Audi and Lexus over here!
    The 325i manual sedan costs $73,800 (without any options) and the 325i sport manual sedan is $77,500.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2